Problem With 4G LTE Network Extender
gkski
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our home is located between Interstate Route 95 and U.S. Route One and there seem to be cellphone towers everywhere. We had never had an issue with voice calls until earlier this year. Usually we just get 1 bar, calls fail to go through and are often dropped. I'm rather incredulous that we no longer can get good quality voice service when we can almost see the cellphone tower. I don't know if Verizon has redeployed or repositioned their equipment, but I suspect that may be the case. One cell transmitter I know of is positioned on the side of a large water tower and of course it is mounted on the side of the tower facing away from us.. I have no idea why they would install a directional antenna with 180 degrees of its capability blocked by a very large object.

After various conversations with Verizon Tech (had to use a landline as several calls to Tech were dropped), Verizon offered to send us a 4G LTE Network Extender. This device was installed relatively easily on our second floor next to our router. Comcast supplies our internet and we have, on average, 200Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.

Our phones registered correctly with the device, confirmed with #48 and our phones were all showing 4 bars, so I thought we were all set. Unfortunately, we are finding that any call we take or place exhibits a 5 second delay after the connection is made before the other party can correctly hear us. In other words there is a 5 second latency before call quality can be counted on.

Obviously this doesn't pass muster when placing or taking a call as the other party will quickly hang up when not hearing anything for 5 seconds.

0 Likes
Re: Problem With 4G LTE Network Extender
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@gkski wrote:

Our phones registered correctly with the device, confirmed with #48 and our phones were all showing 4 bars, so I thought we were all set. Unfortunately, we are finding that any call we take or place exhibits a 5 second delay after the connection is made before the other party can correctly hear us. In other words there is a 5 second latency before call quality can be counted on.

Obviously this doesn't pass muster when placing or taking a call as the other party will quickly hang up when not hearing anything for 5 seconds.

What make/model phones are you using?   Does the issue happen with all phones or certain ones?  Has anyone visiting using cell service experienced the same thing?  Do you have WiFi calling setting on the phones OFF?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
gkski
Enthusiast - Level 3

The latency occurs with all phones, iPhone Xr, iPhone 12 and iPhone 8. We have not had a visitor to try this with their phones. WiFi calling is toggled off on all our phones.

Of course my biggest complaint is that Verizon does not restore my area's cell towers to provide the service we once had. As I said, I'm incredulous that Verizon is not providing an adequate cell signal to a heavily settled residential area between 2 major roads in the Northeast.

Frankly, I should never need an LTE Network Extender.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! Are you experiencing issues with just data, or calls and text as well?

*Leyla

0 Likes
gkski
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a problem with voice calls. We have not noticed a problem with data/txt. As it stands, we could never get rid of our landline and replace with the cellphone. As I said, the landline was required to even communicate with Verizon Tech.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is definitely concerning, and want to make sure that it is properly investigated and resolved, we have sent you a private message, please reply to us to help you accordingly. 

~Pam

0 Likes
AJG617
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was Verizon ever able to resolve this for you?  We are having similar problems with voice and text calls.  On any given day, we can not call or text or receive calls or texts with or without the network extender.

0 Likes
gkski
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are able to make calls and txt with the 4G LTE extender active.

However, because I am within 1/8 of a mile to several towers and easily within the Interstate 95 corridor, I find it amazing that they cannot reposition or tune their antennas to provide us with the cellphone coverage we used to have.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to assist you with any concerns you may have with your service. Please send us a Private Note.

*Bri

0 Likes
gkski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think "Private Messages" best serve those dealing with a problem. Much better for all to be able to see user questions and Verizon responses.

As for me, I continue to use the 4G LTE extender that was sent by Verizon, however I still scratch my head  as to why we don't have the normal cell signal we always used to have, given that our home is between the U.S. Route 1 and Interstate 95 corridor and there are obviously cell towers (multiple) within 1/8 of a mile from my home.

Why doesn't Verizon do diagnostics when their cell signal service drops and make adjustments aiming and tuning their antennas? 

0 Likes