Problem with 4G connection on Novatel MiFi 4510L - Frustrating!
temoore

I have had my new modem for about 4 days. Works fine until I am in an area with only 3G connection. Once it switches to 3G, it will not go back to 4G even though I am in a strong 4G area. Reset to factory settings does not help. I have discovered that I can go into the Verizon modem software and force to LTE only, then do a reset, and it will connect to 4G. If I go into a 3G area, I have to go thru this process all over again. I have had a case in for several days, but no real communication from Verizon. Very frustrating, may return the modem and try Sprints version.

Anyone else have this problem? How about Verizon support? They sure do not communicate. I feel like I am left hanging.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem with 4G connection on Novatel MiFi 4510L - Frustrating!
JeffyB
I have been through technical service, and to the store twice on this issue. I am on my third SIM chip ND second MiFi. When given a new chip, I can get on the 4G network for a few days, then only 3G. No one seems to know how to resolve the issue. I suspect it's a programming issue, and that the SIM chips are failing to re-register on the network, eventually timing out or something like that...
0 Likes
98Ultrasport

Yup, exact same problem with my 4510.  I'm on my THIRD one for this problem.  I haven't tried the "fix" of forcing it to LTE but maybe that will fix it albeit temporarly.  I do have a trouble ticket in with Verizon Tech Support s maybe they'll look into it.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

The best part is when you set it to LTE only...and it connects to EVDO....

0 Likes
michael24

I thank you for posting the idea to set to 4G only! I called Verizon which was a waste of time.  I tried factory reset, battery removal, resetting with no luck.  Forced LTE only and now I have 5 full bars for 4G/LTE again! **bleep**? Verizon MUST get this fixed or force Novatel to fix this.  Non-technical people may never even realize they are having this problem.

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

If you are still having problems, please reply to the private message that I am sending you.  I will call you to provide troubleshooting assistance. 

0 Likes
98Ultrasport

Ralph T,

Please don't keep it a secret.  If there is a fix for this very frustrating problem, please tell us all.  I'm still waiting for a promised call back about the trouble ticket that was created for the SAME PROBLEM I am having with my 4510.

0 Likes
98Ultrasport

Here's an update on the problem...  Today, I drove from my normal 4G area into a 3G area.  I did not have the 4510 turned on.  When I arrived in the 3G area, I used the device and it worked as expected at 3G speeds.  I turned the device off and drove back to my home (in the 4G area) and upon powering up the 4510, found the device was "locked" in 3G.  Looking at the diagnostics showed "No LTE Signal".  I forced the device into "LTE Only" and it came up in 4G with a good signal and a speedtest showed over 5 Mbps download which is very good for this location.  I then did a "Reset to Factory Defaults" and the device reset and came back up in "Global" under "WWAN Preferred Mode " but it was now connected to 3G as evidenced by a purple light.  Looking at the diagnostics once again showed "No LTE Signal" and a speedtest showed ~1 Mbps download speed and .5 upload.

Clearly there is a problem with the device (software) after you use it on a 3G network.  I certainly hope this gets some attention soon as the only way to use the device now on 4G is to manually set it to LTE only using the browser interface.

0 Likes
JeffyB
How do you set it to 4G only?
0 Likes
98Ultrasport

With your computer (wirelessly) connected to the MiFi, open your MiFi browser window (192.168.1.1) log in, and then open the WWAN window.  At the bottom of that window under WWAN Settings, you will see More.  Click on that and it will open a dropdown that you can select "LTE ONLY".  Click APPLY and the device will reboot and will now be in LTE Only.

0 Likes