Re: Samsung SCH-LC11 4G Hotspot SLOW!
kampnman

Nothing Fancy. Seven year old Lenovo T61p laptop.  Intel Core 2 Duo CPU - T7300 @ 2.0 GHZ w/ 3 GB RAM. 

0 Likes
Re: Samsun SCH-LC11 4G Hotspot SLOW!
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

You switched to 802.11n correct? LTE is SO FAST like WiFi LAN that your WLAN maybe your bottleneck sometimes. (Though you may get up to 20Mbps with standard .11g).

0 Likes
TheSchneider

Went from the Pantech to the S SCH-LC11 and so far nothing but problems. Says I have a Green 4G connection and it's fully charged but it constantly disconnects from my MacBook Pro and shuts itself off. Speed Test are all over the place. Spent 1 hour with vzw tech support they replaced the unit. New unit does not shut off but still disconnects. Went to the Apple Store they set the encryption to WPA2 and router b/g/n and reset the card. This made things worse, not when it disconnects I have to reboot the MiFi completely.  My Laptop (PC) running Win XP seems slightly better, does not disconnect as much. But still pretty unreliable.

0 Likes
iTech

Similar problem here with a MacBook Air, also having problems with other computers (Mac and PC) but with the MacBook Air is impossible to connect.

0 Likes
rherman

I have found that 802.11n is buggy with this device.  If you change the setting back to the default of b/g everything works great.  I think they have wireless n problems.

0 Likes
TheSchneider

I may give that a try, so stay with WPA2 but set back to b/g only

0 Likes
ZipTurtle
Contributor - Level 1

With all the trouble I have been having with my Slate using the 4G Hotspot, On monday I got a cheap ($8.85) Generic WiFi USB b/g adapter.  Plugged it in, to the slate, turned off the internal WiFi and set it up, and got great response from the 4G Hotspot (avg 20Mbps).

Not bad for a cheap WiFi USB Adapter.  Shows that at least some of the issues are with the computer side.

0 Likes
BlindGuardian
Does anyone using a Windows XP know how to connect it? The speed seems fine on my Mac and iPod, but I can't connect this up to my Windows.

Thanks.
0 Likes
ZipTurtle
Contributor - Level 1

ZipTurtle wrote:

Got mine today.   In my case, I'm not seeing great speed at all.   With a Thunderbolt sitting next to me getting 25MB, I'm seeing perhaps 2.5mb ??

I've seen panatech modems in operation near here getting 18-20mb so why am I getting such slow speeds?

Pings are like 455ms and a speed test places the hotspot in sounthern calif when I am in the Phoenix metro area.

I have a solid Green 4G light and the admin page looks like it has four boxes for the LTE 4G connection (they don't look like bars)

Don't see any update mechinism on the modem configuration pages for updating location/config etc...

BTW I get a lot of resets talking to the Hotspot via the admin page.  Sitting right next to the device with 99% Signal.

Verizon is shipping a replacement unit to me today.  Should have it tomorrow.

0 Likes
themorrison
I got one of these the other day and I've had nothing but trouble with it. First, I would go in and switch the wifi to WPA2 and set a longer password. The device would restart and broadcast the network, but no password would work. I did a hard reset on the device 5 times and finally found a password that would work. Then, once I got the password working, my connection was flaky at best. Pings would run fine, but DNS queries would be VERY SLOW, as in 30-60 seconds (if at all). Changing to a different DNS server would work fine for about 30 seconds, then get slow again. Tried several DNS servers. After coming across this forum, I disabled the VPN option and switched the wifi to G only and it seems to have stabilized things. I pulled just under 16Mbit down and just under 8Mbit up in my most recent test. Not that it matters, but I'm using Firefox 4 on Debian 6. Hopefully things will remain stable.
0 Likes