Samsung Droid Charge 4G issues
rentien

So, so far I have had a lot of issues with my Samsung Droid Charge.

4G has been extremely spotty. I have been in both 91304 and 94598 zipcodes. Both areas where there is supposed to be solid 4G coverage. Sometimes the phone will go an entire day constantly on 4G, sometimes it will be on 3G for hours at a time without going to 4G. Sometimes it will go to "1x" and will not let me go on the 3G network.

I went to the Verizon wireless store today and they swapped my simcard to see if that improves it, but it has not.

Sometimes I go to the system selection and i try to select "CDMA mode" and then select "LTE automatic" to reset it, and it will get 4G again, but only for a brief while and then it will go back to 3G.

Sometimes I will also just not be able to get any data connection for awhile as well, not even 1X, not 3G, not 4G.

Does anyone else have these issues with this phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Droid Charge 4G issues
Not applicable

rentien,

Hi there! Welcome to the community! 

I checked the coverage in the area, as well as potential issues with 4G in those zip codes and found no consistency.  What I would like, please PM me your name and mobile number so I may look further into the coverage for you. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
timnyc

thank you rentien and Adam for your posts.

I've used the Charge since 6/26 and the 3G signal during the day is always low like now it is .59mbps download/ .89 upload

update after typing this whole post: 3g is speedtest.net'ed at 1.53/0.87Mbps

is that normal?

even tho it is slow it works as it is a phone BUT

the 4G is 16-21MBps download typically and around 5+ upload

SO is it that this phone is not as good for 3G? Should the Thunderbolt be getting such faster speeds on 3G while this one gets such slow speeds. And, yes, it often goes to 1x for many minutes  but then goes back to 3g.

Is there a solution as although 4g might be good for now aroung NYC 3G is Extremely Important to consider as it is the most often used due to conservation of battery life.

0 Likes
djohn001

Yea I really regret getting a 4G phone. When it works it's fast I admit but it barely connects to even 3G. I would have rather gotten a slower consistently connected 3G phone

0 Likes
Ed1956

I don't think is the phone itself but your location, I too purchased the Charge 4G and Verizon also said that my ZIP was in a solid  4G area....but the area is really about 10 miles radius around downtown, checking by ZIP is just Verizon advertisement and really does not work, that is a place where you can check using your actual address. Check where is the nearest antenna  from where you are is also a good idea, goggle "search for cell tower"

I only get 3G here, it works fine on 3G  at speeds +/- 770 kbps down and 800 kbps up and  fast when I am the very VERY SMALL 4G coverage 23220 kbps down and 4700 kbps up...but funny thing is, the REAL speed difference accessing Internet sites is just noticeable but not as fast as I was expecting...my DSL loads as fast as the 4G with only 6500 kbps down, go figures

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Ed1956 wrote:

I don't think is the phone itself but your location, I too purchased the Charge 4G and Verizon also said that my ZIP was in a solid  4G area....but the area is really about 10 miles radius around downtown, checking by ZIP is just Verizon advertisement and really does not work, that is a place where you can check using your actual address. Check where is the nearest antenna  from where you are is also a good idea, goggle "search for cell tower"

I only get 3G here, it works fine on 3G  at speeds +/- 770 kbps down and 800 kbps up and  fast when I am the very VERY SMALL 4G coverage 23220 kbps down and 4700 kbps up...but funny thing is, the REAL speed difference accessing Internet sites is just noticeable but not as fast as I was expecting...my DSL loads as fast as the 4G with only 6500 kbps down, go figures

You are never going to notice speed differences in general on small files. The real tests will be how fast LARGE files download. like a 100MB game vs. 512KB picture. The picture would load just as fast whether 4G or 3G with very little time difference, but the game you would see a drastic difference.
0 Likes
msigg

I've got basically the same problem and what makes it even better is the Blackberry Bold I have for work has great signal strength and 3G constantly. My Charge on the other hand has poor signal strength at best and no data coverage. 4G coverage shouldn't be an issue being in Columbus Ohio.

0 Likes
diddybuck1982

Rest assured that it is not your phone that is the issue, it is the network. Verizon came out way too fast in order to compete with ATT and Sprint with this LTE network. There are NUMEROUS problems with the network being slow, dropping calls or altogether having no connectivity. I have the issues when I start in a 4g area and then go into a 3g area and then the fun starts. The calls will become choppy and then there are times where I feel like the man in the commercial. I am constantly saying, "can you hear me now?" until the phone call drops. Here is a link to another site that sums it all up.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/22/dear-verizon-your-4g-phones-all-have-data-connectivity-probl...

0 Likes