Re: Samsung SCH-LC11 Blocks Microsoft VPN
Not applicable

There are some great suggestions about some workarounds, but the true issue lies with the equipment.  Here is some official information about the problem that we are aware of.  We are working on this vigorously, but an fix has not been implemented yet.

Issue:

Device will not connect to known good PPTP VPN server. If you are using a Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) VPN, the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot LC11 currently does not support Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets used in this configuration.

Temporary Workaround:

Please contact your IT administrator to configure your connection manager to use Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) or another alternative VPN solution available within your company (if available)

How we are going to fix this: 

Samsung is working to include the software update for this issue in Maintenance Release 2, which is targeted for release later this quarter.

Thanks so much for your patience regarding this issue.  A fix is on the way, but it will take some time. 

0 Likes
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can this be marked NOT SOLVED?  We've still not seen this promised firmware update...  Sure has been a long time.  Was unable to do some work a few times because of this.  Wondering why I'm still paying my bill :smileysurprised:

0 Likes
memman

Let's see, it's June 30.  Or, as it's also known, the last day of the quarter.  Guess it's only matter of minutes before the new firmware is released.  I can't wait!

0 Likes
Mr-Spock

July 1st.  I"ve downloaded the April update to this device.  Stil no luck.  I"m trying both PPTP, and L2TP on my ipad.  Both of these protocols work with my Windows RAS server from other Wifi locations.  There's clearly still something wrong with the mobile hotspot.  Contacting Samsung live Chat didn't do any good.  Their rep wasn't even aware that this model of device isn't a phone.  Also she didn't have information on the firmware update I already installed.  Hopefully Verizon is putting some pressure on Samsung to release another update.

0 Likes
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, hopefully they are putting pressure on Samsung for this.  I've been pretty much not using my device (but still paying the bill!) for months now.  I have it more of an insurance policy, so I can quickly fix things no matter where I am.  Of course PPTP is old, and has been replaced by newer better technologies - but  sometimes it's tough to get rid of old legacy networks.  To top it off - Verizon sent me a snail mail letter stating I'm getting a discount that I shouldn't be getting for this device (10%) and they are going to remove it within 2 months.  Great.  Now I'll be paying even more for a device that doesn't work!

Sorry if I sound bitter, but really - I am.

0 Likes
ssauer

Anyone from Verizon have any updates on this?  This is not a difficult fix by any means (GRE), and I would have expected to see a release from Verizon at this point since it's a known issue.  I understand the problem is on the Samsung side but as Verizon is the re-seller and is generating revenue from the subscription service, it is up to you to help drive this effort for your customers.

Please respond with an ETA of a fix!

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone called Verizon or Samsung on this recently?  Quite frustrating.  I suppose only a small part of the user base is affected by this, but still :smileysad:

0 Likes
GaryWatson

And here it is, late August, and no word of "Maintenance Release 2".  Google this and you find this thread, nothing more.

0 Likes
temporalshadows

I've been troubleshooting this issue this morning and ran across this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SCH-LC11ZKAVZW

There seems to be an update as of Aug 29. I'm dealing with a remote user so I haven't had them try this update yet, but has anyone else tried it and can confirm it corrects the problem?

0 Likes
ProfessorHP
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1 on the confirmation of the new firmware release (v.1.0.019). This device with the lates firmware supports PPTP and IPSEC.

FINALLY!

PHP

0 Likes