Samsung SCH-LC11 Blocks Microsoft VPN
abailey

Just got our new Samsung SCH-LC11 Mifi's today. Very impressed by the speed however we discovered a huge limitation. It appears that the Mifi blocks GRE traffic, even after enabling the "VPN Passthrough Enable". I contacted the VZW support line, spent 45 minutes with the rep who finally told me this device is intended for "home" users that don't connect to VPNs. I then asked him why is there a "VPN Passthrough" function and why do they highlight this product in the VZW Business site?

I checked the VZAM.net site and there is no VZAccess for this model yet.

Anyone else heard of this issue or tried to connect to a Microsoft VPN using 4G service? I'm trying to figure out if it is the Mifi or Verizon that has an issue.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung SCH-LC11 Blocks Microsoft VPN
ProfessorHP
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1 on the confirmation of the new firmware release (v.1.0.019). This device with the lates firmware supports PPTP and IPSEC.

FINALLY!

PHP

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LAughte792

I am experiencing the same thing!  Why would they block that traffic.  I would think they would want business customers.  #FAIL

0 Likes
xraytango

I have the same issue.  I enabled VPN passthrough.  I tried PPTP and IPSecs and neither work.  Again, this was marketed as a small business solution.  Now, I can't use my old 3G MiFi which worked fine!

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

What does the system log say?

0 Likes
dalewood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue.

Microsoft PPTP hangs during authentication (to both Windows Server 2003 and 2008).   VPN passthrough is enabled within the SCH-LC11. 

Got my Sprint datacard out and confirmed that PPTP worked fine through it :smileyhappy:  It has also worked previously on the Verizon MiFi we upgraded (same laptop and same destinations just different datacards).

Real VPN software, Sonicwall in my case, works fine.

Opened a case with Verizon yesterday and they acknowledged this is an issue and they are busy working on a resolution.  Had a tech call back and want to run a trace while I tried to connect.

0 Likes
cyberdyne

IPv4 addresses have almost ran out.  In order to conserve the remaining IPv4 addresses, a lot of carriers including Verizon Wireless are using private & NATd IP addresses.  If the device is a 4G device, the network will assign NATd IP addresses regardless of 3G/4G connection the device is making.
Of course, this is going to cause a problem with many remote applications such as VPN connectivity.  VPN may still be possible but may require additional configurations than previous 3G modems. 
VZW should have a static IP solution soon.  Depending on your needs I have found many remote apps like Hamachi and LogMein to work just fine over 4G.

0 Likes
stargate1

"VZW should have a static IP solution soon"

Anybody know how soon?

0 Likes
cyberdyne

I could give you a date but what good will that do?  Product & service launch dates almost always get pushed out / delayed.  I hope I am wrong but probally not.  I would guess  to see a static IP solution between May - July, but that is just a guess.  Any VZW rep that has told you a date as of the time of this post is just guessing too.  As of right now with 3G service only corporate accounts can sign up for static IP and it costs $500 for the one time setup fee.

0 Likes
odarky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I, too, have the same problem.  I work around it by connect to 3rd party VPN first, then connect to my Microsoft PPTP.

Me => 4G Mi-fi => StrongVPN => My work VPN (Microsoft PPTP)

If you have 3rd party VPN connection, give it a shot.

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

We would like to thank the community members for responding with great information. Several of your responses addressed the concerns expressed by abailey.

ChaunceyM_VZW Support 

0 Likes