Samsung SCH–LC11 or VZW 4510L?
XCore

I purchased the Samsung SCH–LC11 a few days ago but noticed the VZW 4510L online just now. Looking at the comparison on VZW website I don't see any differences (comparison shows one is a Mobile AHotspot and one is not but I assume this is an error since that's what they both actually are).

So my question is, does anyone know of a reason to get one and not the other given the fact that they are both 4GLTE and the same price?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung SCH–LC11 or VZW 4510L?
mpoole

Read this thread on the SCH-LC11 as you decide which model to go with.

I've had no luck connecting via wifi with Droid or DroidX using WPA security. I've had no issues connecting using wifi with computers or Ipad. The only method I've been able to connect the Droids with is using open connection along with mac filtering.

I loaded the firmware upgrade made available on April 13, 2011 and have the setting to disconnect set to "never". None of these changes has solved the issue of connecting and staying connected using WPA security.

0 Likes
ITKen

The Samsung currently has issues with VPN traffic,  but this may be corrected in time.  From what I've seen in my initial testing, the VZW does not have a problem passing VPN traffic.  This alone sets the VZW ahead of the Samsung, for a business environment.  However, this may not apply to you. 

The only other difference I noticed between the two was that the VZW behaved the same as the 3G 2200 when connected to a laptop through USB.  It essentially goes into a single user mode and turns off the wifi sharing.  The Samsung was always in hot spot mode and only charges the device when plugged in through USB. 

0 Likes
Agree 100% Go with the Verizon 4510L
SR45
0 Likes
BillSunday

I have a 4510L but have been unable to get the VPN to work.  My VPN client sends a Phase 1 message via the 4510L, to the VPN Server, and the Server receives it and sends an acknowledgment message back to the Client.  However, the client never sees the acknowledgment and connection never occurs.  Seems that the 4510L is somehow blocking the inbound VPN traffic to the client.  What VPN are you using that is working with the 4510L?  If I can't get mine to work by tomorrow (my 2 weeks are up), then back it goes.  I previously had a MiFi 2200 for 2 years and it worked flawlessly with the VPN.

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

I can't remember which one has the chip made by Novatel, whichever one it is I would get that one. I don't like the fact that you can't use VZAM on the newer model. I am very curious as too why or what makes it a non-VZAM device?

0 Likes
XCore
Took the SCH–LC11 back and got a VZW 4510L just to avoid any VPN issues. I work at a university and no way I'll get tunneled in without decent VPN support. I do actually prefer the 4G/3G indicator lights on the Samsung instead of the multi-colored light on the MiFi.
0 Likes
ITKen

BillSunday, we've been testing the units with Windows PPTP.  The Samsung did not work for us while the VZW does.

XCore, have you verified that the VZW does work with your VPN?  If so, what client/protocol do you use?  I agree, the Samsung is a little bit nicer in terms of functionality/appearance, but there is still that huge VPN roadblock they have to deal with.

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hello XCore. Both of the 4G Mobile Hotspots you mentioned have very similar specifications. In viewing the features available on both,  I was unable to identify any notable differences.  If your current equipment meets all of your requirements, I would not suggest completing an exchange. 

ChaunceyM_VZW Support

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport. 

0 Likes
XCore

Thanks, Chauncey but man are you late to the party!

I did that exchange a week ago and except for the abismal 4G service and speeds that we are all too aware of at this point I haven't looked back. The MiFi works great on my VPN when it's actually connected to 4G.

The connection and speeds are getting a bit more stable each day so I am gaining confidence again.

0 Likes