Re: San Francisco LTE Awful at Market & Fremont
slamtilt
Enthusiast - Level 3

LTE started working well for about a week, translated as...I was getting sub-par 3G, but better than 0.00 speeds for about a week. (Oct 7-14)  I actually thought they were addressing the problem.

After that, LTE went back to crap and has stayed there.

As of right now, I get -1ms pings, 0.00down/0.00up speeds on OOKLA while on LTE.  Yay! 

I have to turn off LTE at work now.  My 3G at least gives me 133ms pings, .57down/.26up speeds which means I can send/receive something barely reliably.

0 Likes
whootang12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got my iPhone 5s in September and was really surprised at how spotty the network was in SF.  My home in the Inner Sunset neighborhood had zero LTE coverage.  I just noticed this weekend that things have changed, so at least we know Verizon is actively making changes (way to go!).  I still have lots of issues at Market and Beale though; at the heart of the downtown area and LTE barely functions.  Oddly if I go underground into the Embarcardero train stop I get 5 bars.  Just nothing on the street level.

Verizon, any updates on fixing this area?  It'd be great if you took some credit for changes you are making, at least we know our complaints are being actively addressed (and most of us will recognize that you can't fix everything at once).

0 Likes
whootang12
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is likely our issue, published yesterday:

Verizon Wireless's chief financial officer Fran Shammo said today that customers are seeing lower data speeds due to "capacity constraints" in big cities, a rare admission for the carrier.

The rapid growth of data usage is outpacing infrastructure in cities such as New York, San Francisco, and Chicago, Shammo said at a conference today.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/5097454/verizons-wireless-network-is-straining-under-demand-in-bi...

slamtilt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Saw this report today on CNET.  Mobile broadband carriers in data hungry metropolitan cities over-promising their services?  If only they could have seen this coming!  They must be the first carrier to ever experience this type of demand right? 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

slamtilt wrote:

Saw this report today on CNET.  Mobile broadband carriers in data hungry metropolitan cities over-promising their services?  If only they could have seen this coming!  They must be the first carrier to ever experience this type of demand right? 

This type of demand maybe for the LTE network. For years though AT&T often had complaints about dropped calls and texts with the quality so bad at major events one would be lucky to get a text message through.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lester537

Has anyone received any responses on the trouble tickets that they opened for Market/Fremont? I opened another ticket last week and haven't heard back anything. I'm about to demand that they cancel my contract because I'm paying for a useless service and my complaints are not getting any response. I should have stuck with AT&T service. They are getting blazing fast download speeds at Market/Fremont.

0 Likes
whootang12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've heard nothing.  My experience with the trouble tickets is they close them and don't tell the user who opened them that they closed them or a final status.  I went through about 3 cycles of opening a ticket and not hearing anything before calling them to learn the ticket was closed and everything was reported as "working okay".  That's when I gave up on opening new tickets.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Looking on Sensorly's Maps there looks to be a good concentration of Coverage for all Carrier but if the area is oversaturated with Devices and the system can't handle it I can see why for the issues..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want to lose your business lester537! What is your zip code? What make and model device are you using? We are happy to review the area with our system performance team to see what has been reported.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
slamtilt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon quietly unleashes its LTE monster, tripling 4G capacity in major cities

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/05/verizon-quietly-unleashes-its-lte-monster-tripling-4g-capacity-in-major...

"In the commercial corridors of major cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle and Washington, D.C.. Verizon has tripled its LTE capacity by tapping new airwaves, while in downtown San Francisco and Los Angeles it’s boosted capacity by 150 percent. "

“You could see 80 Mbps today and 20 Mbps tomorrow and then 10 Mbps the next day,” she said.

Hopefully we can get over 1 Mbps in the commercial corridor of our referenced major city.

0 Likes