Re: Setting up a LAN with a UML295 USB Modem connected to a wireless router.
sec1jrs

I apologize for stealing this thread.  But my issue is very similar to Creacontech.   I am using a UML295 with a Meraki 1Z router.  From your current workarounds I have done both option #1 (VPN) and option #2 (static IP).  The issue I have having is that I cannot ping any devices behind the Meraki 1Z router because it is being NAT'd by the UML295.  From a device connected to the Meraki, I am able to ping everything including the other side of the VPN.  Is there a way to turn off the NAT'ing on the UML295?  I am able to ping the static IP of the UML 290 but I would like to be able to ping the private LAN (10.200.45.0) behind the Meraki 1Z.

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If you are being NAT'ed then you do not have a public IP Address. 

When using a VPN, only the resources tunneled to the VPN server will be publicly accessible.  Say for example you install a VPN client on a PC.  Only that PC and USB connected devices will be reachable while the VPN is engaged.  Any other local network resources as normally seen by the PC will not be transferred to the VPN server.  The alternative approach would be to configure a VPN connection on your router.  If the router handles the VPN connection then all of the normally locally available network resources will be transferred to the VPN server

and publicly available.  Not sure if the Meraki router you mentioned has that functionality or not.

In this example a VPN client is installed on a PC:

VPN.png

When the VPN is connected then the PC will appear as if it were locally connected to the VPN Server.  Any previously local network connections are not passed through and will be unavailable.  The only local resources that transfer to the VPN server with this PC would be USB connections and hard drives since they do not rely on networking for their communication with the PC.

There is no way to turn off NAT unless you purchase a static/Public IP from VZW.  The one exception is HomeFusion where a public IP is provided by default.  Once you have a true public IP address available on your USB Modem then normal port forwarding features of your router should apply to extend that connection to your local devices.  Anything else will depend on how you configure your VPN.

0 Likes
sec1jrs

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand what you have written. I do have a public IP from VZW for my UML 295.

From my past experience,

1.) I have a UML290 with a public IP from VZW. When I insert that to a laptop. The laptop’s IP address is the UML290 public IP. 160.x.x.x.

2.) When I insert my UML295 (with a different public IP from VZW), the laptop’s IP address is 192.168.32.50.

See attached print screens from the Meraki. I am showing what it looks like on a UML 290 and UML 295.

The UML 290 shows public IP but the UML 295 shows NAT to 192.168.32.50.

So I do no have a public ip on my UML 295. What would I need to do to have that show instead of Nat’ing.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are no attachments with your post on this thread in the Verizon Wireless Community forum.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Setting up a LAN with a UML295 USB Modem connected to a wireless router.
sec1jrs

Sorry the attachement did not take.  Here is the screen shots.  Notice the NAT of 192.168.32.50 on UML295.   ThanksUML290.jpgUML295.jpg

0 Likes
Re: Re: Setting up a LAN with a UML295 USB Modem connected to a wireless router.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you for blocking out your personal information on those images.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sec1jrs

No problem. Any idea why the UML 295 is giving a private IP address? Thanks

0 Likes
sec1jrs

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion?  Thanks

0 Likes
Creacontech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi John,

Sorry for being so long about getting back to you on this, but when we finally got back to Georgia (we were in Syracuse, NY when I started this discussion) my wife had some serious medical issues that kept us running.

Anyhoo, here's the latest.  You were, of course, correct that the adapter allowing the USB Modem to plug into the router's WAN port doesn't work.  So I checked out those Pepwave and Cradlepoint routers and  when I saw the prices I thought they were trying to sell me the company, instead of a router.  However, I also found a brand called TP-Link which looked good, and I found one at Walmart for $40 that claimed to be compatible with "Most USB Modems", including Verizon, so I bought one.  Unfortunately after several hours of failed attempts to get it to connect, and/or update the firmware, I  was finally able to get through to them by phone, and was told that Verizon USB Modems are NOT on their compatibility list.  So now I don't know whether to sue them for false advertising <LOL>, or just take it back and get a refund (naturally that's what I'll do).

However, all is not lost; I got success out of defeat and found a way to accomplish what I wanted after all.  The Verizon USB Modem works fine when plugged directly into my server so I leave it there.  Then I set up my old Linksys router WITHOUT ANY WAN CONNECTION, just an Ethernet cable from the Server NIC to one of the router's Ethernet ports, and VOILA!, a LAN exists.  I'm able to connect to the server wirelessly using Remote Desktop Services via the LAN, and then, when I need an internet connection I simply open a browser on the server via the RDS connection.  And the best part is that I didn't have to buy anything new, since I already had the router.  It works great and the response time is almost as good as at home with my  gigabit LAN and every bit as good as when we connect to the internet via our smartphones.  I feared that there would still be a problem, however, because without a static IP address I can't connect directly to the server from out of the LAN via RDS (e.g. when we take day trips away from the motorhome and use our smart phones for hotspots).  Fortunately I found a solution for that also.  I was able to connect to the server from outside of the LAN (e.g. from my home network to the motorhome parked away from the house) by using LogMeIn.  This works well with the only limitation being that there can only one LogMeIn connection at a time.  Since it's just my wife and I, that limitation is irrelevant.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Excellent feedback Creacontech, thanks for sharing.

I was not aware of any other USB Modem compatible router models.  I will have to check out TP-Link and may suggest it in the future if they make one that is compatible with VZW hardware.

Connecting the USB modem to the server directly is something I wouldn't have thought of but now that you mention it I can see how that would end up working.  I may end up suggesting this to others in the future as a suitable work around.

LogMeIn is one of the many VPN products out there which continues to be the only solution to VZWs NAT firewall/Public IP address situation.  Glad to hear you found a solution that works for you.

0 Likes