Share 4G from 4620L over Cradlepoint CTR500
JPBE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently purchased a Novatel 4620L MiFi which is working fine. I would like to share its strong 4G connection using my Cradlepoint CTR500 mobile router because I have some LAN-only devices (i.e., not WiFi) that I need to use.  While the CTR500 "sees" the 4620L when it's plugged in via the USB port, it doesn't transfer the 4G connection. I have plugged the 4620L into my computer via the USB cable, and it sets up a LAN connection without a problem.  Also, I had no problem with my older USB720 plugged into the CTR500.  Any thoughts why the 4620L and CTR500 are not playing nice with each other (FYI, all firmware updates have been done, etc.)?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Share 4G from 4620L over Cradlepoint CTR500
JPBE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured this out and am posting the answer to my own question in case others are in the same position.  The 4620L uses an access point name (APN) of VZWINTERNETHowever, after the firmware update, the Cradlepoint CTR500 initially selects the “Use Default” radio button in the “Access Point Name (APN)” setting.  To make the 4620L share its 4G connection, toggle “Select Existing” on the CTR500 instead and chose VZWINTERNET from the “Available APNs” list.  That is, the APN on the 4620L and the CTR500 need to be the same.  I knew this would be a simple fix, but it took a while....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JPBE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured this out and am posting the answer to my own question in case others are in the same position.  The 4620L uses an access point name (APN) of VZWINTERNETHowever, after the firmware update, the Cradlepoint CTR500 initially selects the “Use Default” radio button in the “Access Point Name (APN)” setting.  To make the 4620L share its 4G connection, toggle “Select Existing” on the CTR500 instead and chose VZWINTERNET from the “Available APNs” list.  That is, the APN on the 4620L and the CTR500 need to be the same.  I knew this would be a simple fix, but it took a while....

0 Likes
RedFive

Will you please go into further detail as to how you configured the MiFi 4620L to work with the CTR500?  The CTR500 doesn't officially support the 4620L at this time.  Was there something you did on the 4620L to get it configured to be seen by the CTR500?  Other than what you've already stated here, is there anything else you did on the CTR500 to "see" the 4620L? 

My own CTR500 keeps trying to connect with the 4620L, but it goes into a loop where it never is able to achieve the connection.  I have a feeling that the 4620L will be supported by the CTR500 when the next CradlePoint firmware is released.  But that probably won't happen for a few more months.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

0 Likes
aberson

I'm interested in more details on this too, especially if it could be made to work with a Cradlepoint MBR1000.

Thanks to anyone who has info!

There's some more discussion on this issue here:  http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15806

0 Likes