Signal Problems
trekdriver

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S-4, and have had nothing but problems since. Verizon has replaced the phone twice, no help. I am now finding out it's a problem in my condo and Verizons solution is to purchase a femtocell booster for 250 bucks. This is un-acceptable. I have been with Verizon for many, many years, and this is all you can come up with? My wife has a Galaxy Note 3, no problems at all, my neighbors Wal-Mart phone also no problems, my best friend's AT&T windows phone, no problems. I'm supposed to go out and spend all this extra money, just so I can make and receive calls only on my phone? The phone seldom rings, so I miss a lot of calls, when it does ring, people on the other end get static, or can't hear me at all, not to mention all the calls that drop in the middle of a conversation, ever try to call the S.S.I. office, only to get thru after a half hour wait, than the call drops. I too am about ready to drop Verizon as my carrier, because this situation is nerve racking to say the least.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Signal Problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@trekdriver,

Being able to use your phone where you frequent the most is definitely important!

Are you only having issues while inside your condo? Different phone can pick up signal differently, and this is why you may notices the difference between the two phones.

Service indoors cannot be guaranteed as there are many factors out of our control that can interfere with the signal. This is why we recommend the network extender http://vz.to/IHRT6h. This is an optional accessory you can purchase to boost signal inside your home. It's definitely worth the investment.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
trekdriver

Apparently, my statement was mis-read. I am most defiantly NOT spending another 250 bucks on service I should already have. My phone and my son's phone have the same issue. I spend enough already every month, and over the last 18-20 years with you, that adds up. I realize I'm stuck with these phones for the next two years, but I'm ready to drop my 3 plans to the bear minimum and go for a wal-mart throw a away. Thanks for no help at all. I cannot exist with a phone that does not ring. As far as your network extenders, I have seen them for 79.00 same model as yours. Why don't you offer me one of your re-furbashed units that sell for 99.00

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your cost concerns for the Network Extender trekdriver! Please follow me (I am already following you), and send me a direct message so that I can access your account and explore options for the Network Extender.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Dr_Bob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have had very poor reception for the last 4+ years in my home for all 4 of our smart phones on Verizon: iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Samsung Galaxy S4 & Samsung Droid Charge.  Line of sight to tower here is very poor and affects nearby neighbors as well. When friends and family come, they complain about the poor signal as well. Former calls to Verizon support have always recommended "buy a network extender" instead of "We cannot provide decent service to your area so we'll offer you a discount as we know how important being able to talk at home is without depending on yet another service provider for a home phone."

So let me be super crystal clear from the onset: DO NOT bother with recommending the expensive so called solution of buying a $250 network extender (http://vz.to/IHRT6h ) as Verizon is notorious at doing on blogs and elsewhere. I'm already paying Verizon a crazy ~$240 / month for a 700 minute plan for our 4 phones. Kapish? What are my options?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

1)     Live with it as is.

2)     Find another phone with better reception (probably a dumbphone).

3)     Find a different carrier that has better reception in your house.

0 Likes
Dr_Bob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Spiral  I appreciated the response.

1) Note that after 4+ years of putting up with this, I'm clearly no longer interested in "Living with it as is." Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the post. The reason I did post was because I see many others complaining about Verizon's expectations of having to purchase a very expensive femtocell "solution and enough bark, maybe Verizon will recognize they're not up to par, especially given AT&T and T-Mobile offer the same or better plan I'm on for considerably less ($160 w/ AT&T, $100 w/ T-Mobile).

2) I'm guessing you don't have a significant investment in smart phones (note I listed all 4 top-quality different brand phones), or expect to get what you paid for. There's a reason we have smart phones, so recommending downgrading to a dumb phone is energy expelled in the wrong direction. Far more important is that when a service provider claims to be providing a service and runs media blitzes on "The best coverage nationwide", they need to live up to it and do so in context. If they're selling selling smart phones to users known to be in poor reception areas, they need to compromise. When there's enough squeaky mice, maybe they'll listen.

3) AT&T was no better for our home. We used to be with them prior to Verizon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

First off read your customer agreement. That is what you agreed to at time of service. I list the link here: Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

No service is 100% guaranteed. No service. Find one and post back that name. You state AT&T is no better so that now places you into Sprint or T-Mobile.

You say because of the investment in the devices you really don't want to switch. That however is a personal choice of economics.

You put up with the poor service coverage for years and yet the purchase of the extender is not something you want to pay out cash for.

I don't blame you on the cost factor and even then it may not improve your coverage.

But you have now taken all viable solutions and tossed them out.

So go and buy a magic jack or Net Talk VOIP phone and hook to your High Speed Internet.

http://www.magicjack.com

http://www.nettalk.com

Or get a device that works under WiFi like the ones T-Mobile sells and your calling issue is gone. and a cheaper bill after you shell out money for the devices.

You cannot win in this situation.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

Dr.Bob wrote:

1)  The reason I did post was because I see many others complaining about Verizon's expectations of having to purchase a very expensive femtocell "solution and enough bark, maybe Verizon will recognize they're not up to par, especially given AT&T and T-Mobile offer the same or better plan I'm on for considerably less ($160 w/ AT&T, $100 w/ T-Mobile).

3) AT&T was no better for our home. We used to be with them prior to Verizon.

Most people post on a company messageboard to complain. Very few people bother to post to tell a company everything is peachy keen. So the number of complaints vs non complaints on a messageboard is meaningless.

You state at&t doesn't work well in your area and also they're $160 plan is the exactly same as Verizon's. If you can't get at&t or Verizon signals very well I'll bet $1 million you can't get T-Mobile either. So I'm not sure why you bring those 2 up.

0 Likes
Dr_Bob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No where did I mention I expect perfect operation or coverage from Verizon. This isn't about Terms of Service or guarantees. It's about Verizon *knowing* a moderately populated area well within the confines of city limits has poor coverage and doing nothing about it or caring.

Personal choice of economics. Of course that's what it is. My original post clearly refers to a one-time charge of $250 for a network extender as being expensive. It's always contextual and subjective. The complaint herein lies in the fact that on top of their expensive monthly charges, especially when compare to cited AT&T and T-Mobile service, they insult the customer with another big expense that's considerably more than most people would even pay for a WiFi router. And to top it off, it requires the customer have internet service to piggy back when an anttena can't be used or doesn't improve the service. How crass is that?

I haven't thrown out all possible viable solutions. If enough people bitch Verizon will eventually listen. If not, enough bad press will go out on them to where they'll be forced to take action and reduce expenses. The *trend* I've seen is more people complaining about poor service in populated areas and this will continue as the available bandwidth for the ever increasing number of users gets consumed.

I'm very familiar with Magic Jack and VoIP alternatives. Remember the old days before cell phones? These days it's called a mobile phone and if a mobile phone can't honor what it's hyped to be and be mobile to your own home, then rename it or don't hype it. Heck, rotary dial phones on analog did a better job than cell phones for phone calls when it comes to home use.

And jumping ship to another carrier isn't free. Verizon needs to be held accountable or offer full refunds. It's that simple.

The bottom line here is Verizon needs to come up with a free alternative when their service is poor in moderate to high density areas. Yes, that's right ... they send out a vehicle, verify the signal sucks and make up for their hype by offering a free 3G or better femtocell, especially when the "solution" they offer depends on the customer having another service provider.