Signal issues
cretoriani

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and have had signal issues at my residence for quite some time now, but they have been much worse the past few weeks. 

I honestly don't know what the following numbers mean exactly, but I know they are related to signal strength based on the settings, but they could help VZW support diagnose the issue.

-120 dBm 99 asu

Also, currently my phone lists this as the network type: CDMA - eHRPD:14

My PRL version is: .  I was told by a VZW rep previously that my phone updates PRL when it restarts and it has been restarted multiple times within the past few days, so the PRL should be up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has become very frustrating.  I have put up with it for some time, but I am now nearly to the breaking point.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Signal issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information cretoriani.

LTE and 4G are the same thing, so if it is displaying one of those two icons you are getting signal.

The fact that it really only happens indoors means that it is not a network issue.  Due to the construction of the building and other surrounding variables we are unable to guarantee service indoors.

I would recommend a network extender.  This is like placing a mini cell tower inside your home and will significantly improve coverage.  For additional details visit http://bit.ly/AKkC

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have basically no signal if it is -120 dBm 99 asu.  Is the signal better outside?  Is the signal level you get everywhere or just one location?

the CDMA - eHRPD:14 is the 3G network.  What kind signal strength are your getting in that mode?  Is it what you listed at -120 dBM?

Have you tried removing the battery and removing the SIM for a few minutes and then reassemble to boot up the phone?  It might help reset the connection.  Also have you tried a new SIM card?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there cretoriani,

I am sorry to hear about the signal issues you are having in your area. You have been dealing with it long enough and I absolutely want to get you back up and running.

To help determine what the issue is, I would need to review the area that you are having trouble in. Could you please provide me with the zip code? Does the signal improve when you leave this zipcode?

Do the signal issues primarily occur indoors?

Please try powering off the device and removing the sim card.  Reinsert the sim card and power the device back on and test the connection.

Please keep us updated with results.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

0 Likes
cretoriani

I primarily stay in our basement which I know doesn't help.  I actually began writing this thinking that I also had no signal upstairs or outside our residence, but I typically spend little time there, so since I was doing significant troubleshooting I did a little more advanced digging.  Outside my phone automatically picked up stronger signal after waiting a couple of minutes, but honestly that was frustrating.  Upstairs in our residence I waited approximately the same amount of time and the signal strength never changed so I tried powering off the phone and powering it back on, this caused it to properly show the new signal strength.  Both of these new tests showed around  -105 dBm and 40 asu in LTE:13 mode, but my phone didn't say it had 4G even though I know LTE is supposedly a branch of 4G, perhaps it just didn't have enough bars to show the graphic.

In other areas, not at our residence I seem to get better signal, but I don't know that I have ever really had "great" signal, but I have often had "good" signal.  I don't remember the exact strength when I checked away from our residence, but it was 4G a few miles from my residence and I think it was around -90 dBm and around 34 asu, and I had "good" signal, about half of the "displayable" bars on the phone.

The zip is 37645.

@Ann154, yes, that was the mode it listed for that signal strength.

I tried removing the SIM card while the device was powered off and the signal doesn't seem any better.

I don't recall what my PRL was originally and it looks like I forgot to enter it originally or it was removed from my post for some reason. In case it was removed from my post I won't re-enter one here, but let me know if you need it for some reason.

Message was edited by: Jeremy Hubbard I will be returning to the off-site location this evening, so I should be able to get the exact signal information from there and add it to the post late tonight.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Basement plus underground equals lots of material for the signal to struggle through to get to the device. Service isn't guaranteed inside let alone deep in a building.

It sounds like the signal is available outside at a low but decent level of -105 dBm for LTE signal.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Dranny

I am having exactly the same issue.  No problems until about a week ago when I began to get NO signal at all in my home and within about a 5-10 mile radius of my home until I hit a major city and drive by the tower there.  My phone was showing about 73% of the time in the past ten days without a signal...some days it was 100%. I did a factory restore and backup...nada, an empty triangle still.  I called support, they sent me a refurbished phone and now it's only slightly better with a signal strength of -105dBm and 1asu...pretty poor, especially when you consider that I had NO problems until about ten days ago.  So Verizon, what's changed?  Not the phones (though mine is now sort of new), so something in the service I'd guess.  My phone constantly shows "disconnected" under the Mobile Networks in settings.  I know a fair bit about this phone and am a fairly savvy (though unrooted) user.  This is a new problem and getting worse every day.  And regardless of it being 'officially' declared a "Known Issue", it most assuredly is if you spend more than 30 seconds researching it online.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information cretoriani.

LTE and 4G are the same thing, so if it is displaying one of those two icons you are getting signal.

The fact that it really only happens indoors means that it is not a network issue.  Due to the construction of the building and other surrounding variables we are unable to guarantee service indoors.

I would recommend a network extender.  This is like placing a mini cell tower inside your home and will significantly improve coverage.  For additional details visit http://bit.ly/AKkC

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Dranny,

I am sorry to learn of the issues you are having in your area.  Are you in the same zip code as cretoriani?  Do the issues primarily occur indoors?  Which make and model device are you using?

Please provide additional details so I can continue to assist.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

0 Likes
cretoriani

Ok, thanks Support and @Ann154, I suspected that was a factor, but was really hoping there was a solution without using the extender because the cabling is a big hassle and it is an added expense. Honestly I didn't know how much of an expense it was either and I definitely don't see it being worth as much as it costs, especially when it would only be 3G instead of 4G.  I guess I'll just keep putting up with the issue and go elsewhere in my residence to communicate. 

Honestly I probably wouldn't have started this post if I had realized the indoor signal on the upper level of our home was that strong, but as I had stated the signal hadn't updated previously so I didn't know. I hadn't tried turning the phone off and on before this diagnosis process so it wasn't updating to reflect the correct signal strength in that area. 

0 Likes
cheryl7995

So, at my office the wifi router is LITERALLY unobstructed and maybe 15 feet from my desk.  my signal strength here is -108 dbm and 99 asu. essentially, no signal. network is set to global, no change if i re-set to LTE/CDMA. Ideas welcome, this is making me INSANE.

0 Likes