Re: Slow 4G LTE in Nashville
LMB24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone 5 and live right next to Vanderbilt. The LTE service has been horrendous for about 2 months now. It seems to get worse every day. It's obviously a bandwidth issue. At 1:30am I get 8 down, but during the day i get less than edge. It's ridiculous to pay $170 a month and get awful data service. Something has to be done about this. At least tell us if you are adding more towers and when!?!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information erather! What zip code are you located in?  Yes, it could be a sim card issues. You can visit a corporate Verizon Wireless store for a new sim or accept my follow request, follow me and send me a direct message with your mobile number. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there bbeaird,

Let's get you back in the fast lane while in the Music City.  Which zip code are you having issues in? Which make and model device are you using? Does the issues primarily occur indoors or outdoors as well?

Please provide additional details so I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bbeaird
Enthusiast - Level 2

The zip code is 37203. It's an Apple iPhone 5. The slowness occurs both indoors and outdoors and pretty much all around a 1-2 mile radius near the West End Avenue/Vanderbilt area.

Average speed test on my phone with 3G during these peak times is .32Mbps.

Average speed test on my phone with LTE during these peak times is .05Mbps or frequently just times out altogether

The same speed test with LTE jumps to 10Mbps+ when I get out of Nashville.

erather
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, but I've figured out that it's bandwidth congestion. I work about a mile from the Nashville Airport, and decided to test in our parking lot, and then every block (heading away from the airport) and see what I found.  In our parking lot, it was so slow that it couldn't even finish the test.  At one block away, it improves slightly, but at two, my speeds were 29.00mbps.....blazing fast.  Same results heading back....the closer I got to the airport, the worse the download speed.  Any plans that you're aware of to add a tower (or beef up the current one) near the airport?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Friday LMB24,

We want you to love & enjoy your wireless service. Rest assured as we are committed to your wireless happiness. I'm eager to partner with you and get this resolved. Let's start with what iOS and carrier version do you have installed on the iPhone 5? Also, what zip code are you having the issue in? Can I assume that the issue is with data only or is your voice service affected? As you share the details of the issue then we can get this taken care of.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
LMB24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ios 6.1.3 verizon 14.2 zip 37212 Just data

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the information bbeaird. I'm confident that we can get this taken care of for you once and for all. The good news is that there isn't any issues reported in the zip code that you have provided. Let's try this:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

After you do this step, please reboot the device and retest. If the issue persist then the next step would be to perform a restore on the iPhone 5 using iTunes. Please see link below for help with doing a restore.

http://bit.ly/1SQOwI

Once you have done so, please test call voice and data services for proper functionality. If the issue persist then please advise as we may have to escalate this issue for you.

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
bbeaird
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for you response, but it really seems like you are hoping against all odds that this is a problem with our phones.

Just to be sure, I ran the Reset Network Setting, even though I'm really not thrilled about having to go in and re-enter all my saved Wireless spots. As I suspected, the end result is the same - still miserable download speeds only in the downtown Nashville area. I will not be going through the hassle of a full restore because it obviously is not going to fix anything, and I really dislike how frequently Verizon advises customers to do this just in hopes that it might do something.

I don't know how to be more clear: LTE download speeds are fine on this exact phone outside of this 2-mile radius. It is also better simply by manually dropping it down to 3G. I always have at least 3 bars here, and voice functions are unaffected. With those facts in mind along with the other people reporting this issue, it seems straightforward that our phones are not the problem. I can also tell you that all my co-workers on Verizon who have various other LTE phones report the exact same slowness - they're just not taking the time to come to these forums and actually post about it.

There is very clearly a severe bandwidth congestion issue in the 37203 area. Just because issues are not officially reported does not mean everything is fine. It probably just means most people are too busy to bother reporting it. I know you are only doing your part to fully investigate the issue, but please forward this along to someone who makes these decisions that sending customers through pointless hoops like this does not reflect well on the company's troubleshooting competence. Please save us all some trouble and get someone down here to manually check it on an actual phone.

LMB24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree bbeaird. I'm in Cool Springs getting insane 25mbps down. That's the

speed LTE promises and the speed I pay $150/month for. Too bad I'm NEVER

down here and live in midtown. Downtown/Midtown/Green Hills is horribly

congested. Are there any plans for new towers in these areas? The zip codes

are 37203,37201,37212,37215.