Slow Data and Poor Cell Coverage on Otter Tail Lake Minnesota
BW_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon service at my cabin is extremely slow and poor. My phone shows LTE but speed is 0.03-0.1 Mbps most of the time.

I can find a few LTE+ spots around the area when walking down to nearby cabins but that LTE+ cuts out very quick.

Sprint and T-Mobile have fine coverage and network speed in the same area and there are 4 Verizon towers my phone can connect to while walking our small cabin property. My phone and my family's phones all have the same issue. We have S10, S8+, G7 Power, iPhone 8, and iPhone 7 devices.

Very unacceptable service.

The cabin is located near Battle Lake, MN 56515.

Please advise.

Re: Slow Data and Poor Cell Coverage on Otter Tail Lake Minnesota
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BW_MN,

We are committed to offering you the best possible service where you need it most, It does concern us to hear that the service has not been the best lately but we will work to get this resolved as soon as possible. I checked the area and can see that the location is surrounded by multiple bodies of water which can ultimately cause some trouble when passing through to the towers. Has the service at this location always been the same or did it change over time? Is the issue only happening when indoors?

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
BW_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

The service had been better at times in the past. 

CandiceH_VZW,

I appreciate the response but I would like more help here. This is a major miss by Verizon and after talking to others, quite a few people in Minnesota move to Sprint or T-Mobile because of issues like this with Verizon having poor coverage on some lakes.

Verizon data speeds are better in the late evening than it is during the day.

Sprint and T-Mobile have good coverage here. Verizon coverage for phone calls is doable. But Verizon data speeds are horrible and I am very strongly considering switching providers because I can't work at the lake when I'm out there - won't connect to VPN at all!

And I can't even go on Facebook or load a webpage at the speeds.

Just because there are bodies of water doesn't seem like a good excuse.

How can Sprint and T-Mo have fine data speeds when Verizon's is poor? Because they have stronger signal nearby? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do understand where you're coming from. Water can affect radio waves. Does this issue occur while you're outside or indoors?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
BW_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both indoors and outdoors.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that clarification. How far do you need to travel from the area to maintain a solid connection? 

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes
BW_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Melissa, 

There's a spot with good coverage 200 yards south-southwest of my cabin that gets about 20mbps consistently.

I ran tests today.

Surprise. Verizon post-paid Unlimited gets better speed. My BILs S10 on VZN Unltd gets 5.5mbps while my S8+ on VZN prepaid gets 0.4mbps or 0.8mbps.

Please explain why there is so much data prioritization here.

First two screenshots are S10 on VZN postpaid. Second two screenshots are S8+ on VZN pre-paid.

IMG_20200719_103719.jpg

IMG_20200719_103724.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-101434_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-101426_Network Cell Info Lite.jpg

Brian

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BW_MN, we appreciate these details as well as the screenshots. In areas of network congestion, you may notice a slow down of speeds on the prepaid network before our postpaid subscriber lines. You mentioned that this has historically been an area where you do have service issues, do you have a wired in internet service at this location? LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BW_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Deprioritization to 0.1mbps or 0.4mbps seems excessive. That is so slow that a person can't do anything. I can't even get an email sent at that speed. Webpages take a minute to load. It's really slow. 

What are the technical details of the deprioritization speeds expected?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we are sorry to hear that your data speeds are slow. We would happy to take a closer look in to this issue for you. To authenticate your account please confirm your first and last name, review the following, and then click the link after "Authenticate here":

If you use Messenger or Direct Message to chat with Verizon, your questions and our responses may include info about your account, including Customer Proprietary Network Information (“CPNI”), which is visible to Facebook/Twitter and may be used for their own purposes per their privacy policies (http://spr.ly/6606GwLGY / http://spr.ly/6607GwLGl).

CPNI is info available to Verizon solely by virtue of our relationship with you that relates to the type, quantity, destination, technical configuration, location, and amount of use of the telecommunications and interconnected VoIP services you purchase from us, and related billing info.

Verizon protects your info and does not share info that identifies you personally outside of Verizon except with your consent and as otherwise disclosed in our privacy policy. Your choice here does not affect your Verizon services. To learn more, visit our information collection and privacy policy at http://spr.ly/6608GwLGm.

By clicking the link to continue, you agree to allow us to share your info, including CPNI, in Messenger and Direct Message. To stop sharing info including CPNI, stop using Messenger and Direct Message to chat with us. Contact Facebook and Twitter about your rights, if any, to delete info that was previously shared.

Authenticate here: http://spr.ly/6008GwL1C.  CassieG_VZW

0 Likes