Slow data speeds on grandfathered unlimited
KAOSAE64

I am getting between 1-3mbps down and I am still on the grandfathered unlimited. I've reset the network settings, have the latest iOS. What gives?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow data speeds on grandfathered unlimited
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KAOSAE64, I'd be just as concerned with a sudden shift in service access and data speeds. We are here to help out. What zip code are you located in? When did this change in speed first occur, and what did you used to average? Do you know if others are experiencing the same as you are in the area?

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CARSOS72
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I’m having the same issues as well. I think they de-prioritize this plan during congestion on the network even though we have the grandfather UPD. I noticed in the beginning of the cycle I would get  consistent 20 mps , now that is at the end of the cycle I’m getting 5-10 mps and my video buffers sometime. I ordered the 4g Lte extender so see if it increases the speed and the buffer on video. Also mostly likely they because at night time when the network traffic is low I’m getting 40-50 mps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CARSOS72-

I feel your need for speed and want to do everything I can to help. I can assure you that our grandfathered unlimited plan (from pre-2017) is not prioritized or throttled in any way. During times of network congestion, it is possible that every data user is impacted (even those not on the unlimited data plan). Let's get to the bottom of your concerns, though. Are you only experiencing slower speeds during certain parts of the day? What zip code are you located in? Do you know if anyone else has the same issue in your area?

AmberK_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CARSOS72
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey KAOSAE64, A other reason why are network are slower is because net neutrality. I noticed on Netflix and YouTube services the mbps are a lot slower . I just received my 4g lte extender about a week ago and my mbps on speedtest been consistent 40-60 mbps, however; on netflix services And YouTube I’m getting 5-10 mbps. The issue with this is that I would sometimes get buffer on video. Also noticed I’m not getting 720 p  consistent  through The whole YouTub video. most of the times I would get 720p for a couple of seconds than it would lower it to 480p and I can tell the  difference.On YouTube there a option for stats for nerds with tell you detail about the video on your network and wifi.

[Removed]

link with profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
haole_223
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can attest to the fact that grandfathered unlimited plans are being de-prioritized or throttled.  I have been experiencing huge slow downs half way through the month, to the point where I can't load pages.  This is not caused by network congestion as I have another phone on a different plan that works perfectly fine during the times of slow down on my grandfathered unlimited plan.  Same phone, same location, same time.    The second month I experienced this I chatted with Verizon and given the same response as AmberK_VZW.  I have just been living with it but now that Verizon has seen fit to start charging me an extra $20 a month for slower data I brought it up again and the response was this:

Verizon

I know where you're coming from and would feel upset as well if I was not informed about these changes.

Verizon

We are now managing our network to make sure to be consistent on having reliability on our network. This is why for high usage lines, we are putting netwrok deprioritization

haole_223
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon tried to act like it was potentially my account or phone causing the slow down so they insisted upon resetting something in my account and said they would call me back after resetting my phone.  When they called back they either hung up when I tried to answer or the call dropped and I never heard back again.  I can put up with a lot but have never gotten a consistent answer and I refuse to pay more for no reason when my phone and customer service has been continually going down hill.  No reason to be loyal to companies like this anymore, time to jump ship.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

haole_223,

We definitely don't want to lose your business, and would like to take a closer look into this for you. What zip code are you in, and does this happen every month, in the middle of the bill cycle? When did you notice this start happening? Please share some details for me, we want to help you all that we can.

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Huskers0505
Enthusiast - Level 2

ChristinaB_VZW or any other representative who reads this can you take a look at the service at [removed] Schuyler, NE  68661?  The LTE service there is horrible as well as West of HWY 77(Broad Street) in Fremont, NE 68025.  These spots have poor LTE service around 1 to 2 Mbps at times.  My Unlimited Plan from 2016 as well as metered plans didn't affect the speeds for these instances.  At the 68661 address is a packing house outside of Schuyler, and at breaks people go outside for Facetime calls and they drop every 1 to 2 minutes.  My friend contacted the Verizon Store when upgrading and was told to make a complaint online so Verizon would put up another tower.

Specific address removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Huskers0505,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you're not getting the level of service we'd want to see on your device. You deserve world class service you can count on. I took a look at the area and I show mostly strong service. What device are you using? How far do you go from there before service improves? Does this only happen certain times of day or all the time?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes