So what good is 4G
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

So would some knowledgeable people chime in about the USABLE difference in order to quiet the din people are making about the subject.

And what is the purpose of it all?

Firstly, phones:  I don't think it will make any difference for most customers.  I have streamed video on 3G  to my phone and to my computer.  Both are adequate.  I found some phone browsers to be slow; but that was because of the phone or the browser; not the network.  So unless you're downloading movies to your phone which in itself wouldn't make any sense, I don't see any difference.

On home computers.  the same thing would apply except downloading a movie would make sense. That would be several times faster.And is Netflix streaming or downloading?   That's why they are making the modems first, imo.  

So if it doesn't make much difference to customers, what's it for?  In my opinion, the increased speed will enable increased volume.  And who needs more volume?  I would like to hear from customers who do.  How many customers were shorted every month because they couldn't download enough volume in 30 days.  Are there any?  Like, "Well, I was trying to get 800 movies, but the network is so slow, I could only get 150."  So increased volume equals increased traffic and who wants more traffic?  And it may make wireless competitive with wired networks; I'm sure that's the aim.  Which may make things better for everyone; we'll see.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: So what good is 4G
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

4G is faster, that means faster downloads, page views, the ability get content that refreshes regularly (sports score, etc.) faster, etc., etc.  Why do some people pay for a 3MB/s download speed on their internet connection and some people pay much more for 150MB/s or higher through FIOS?  Because they like the speed, or have multiple data intensive applications going on multiple computers.  The speed increase will be an especial boon to those who use MiFi or Fivespot devices to share their connection with more than one device/user.

4G is a strong more consistent signal (or at least its supposed to be).  This will be a boon to people in rural areas who have, at best, spotty 3G coverage.  We all know that 1X and the old analog signals get more penetration into low coverage areas than 3G, 4G is supposed to provide stronger coverage AND increased speed.

The issue of capacity is not, generally, a per user issue, its a per tower or per area issue.  In many areas, Verizon's 3G network experiences slowdowns at times of high traffic due to too many users.  The number of folks regularly accessing data on their smartphones is exploding, and if it continues to grow, more capacity will be sorely needed.  4G will help with that and make it viable for Verizon to try to put a smartphone or wireless data connection in every home.

Ultimately, you're correct, once they reach the true 4G standard, they want their wireless network to compete with wired services for home internet and other purposes.  The "internet-connected" home becomes much easier when you don't need any networking on your end, just dial everything into your Verizon 4G signal.

0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

You can also go to the link below to view more information about advantages of the 4G network.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/rural/Advantages.html

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the link.  I didn't know that was there.  Very useful and informative.

0 Likes
ShellMG

I was very disappointed in VZW's LTE prices and caps.

It might be nice to have speedy downloads and ping times, but you'll blow through 5 or 10 gig in a hurry.  Rural customers will have the odious choice of staying a FAPsitter (throttled) or becoming a CAPsitter (HIGH overages).  I spent two years as a FAPsitter and will NEVER do that again.  And if you have kids?  FORGET it unless you have a deep bank account to pay $10 for each gig over your plan.

Very, very disappointing.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Where are you seeing 4G prices and plan information?  I still only see 3G on the Verizon website.  The only new 4G info I've seen today is the introduction of the two USB adapters and a release date of 12/5/2010.  I've seen speculation about the types of service you describe but no specific details.

0 Likes
clavin

I agree.  3G is good enough EXCEPT for online gaming.  The pings that I get are about 100-140ms compared to the 4g MUCH improved ping times.  But as for the download you're DEAD on.  The only advantage is that you will run out of megs FASTER on 4g which will only cost you MORE.  Cutting the cost from 60-50 bucks is lamo on Verizon's part.  With internet getting only more "thick" with megs being used on every single web page, running out of megs will be all to easy.  Come on Verizon, what is wrong with 10GB for 50 bucks???  And perhaps 20 GB for 80 bucks?  Much more reasonable then what you've got going now.  And HAPPY customers!  In the meantime, good luck getting customers.

0 Likes
ShellMG

jtown:

VZW had a live twitter feed during a conference yesterday during which they announced the 4G price tiers.  It goes like this:

$50 = 5G

$80 = 10G

Every gig on top of those packages = $10

Cha-CHING.

The two new LTE modems are $99 after a $50 rebate.

VZW's LTE price plans article

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

ShellMG wrote:

jtown:

VZW had a live twitter feed during a conference yesterday during which they announced the 4G price tiers.  It goes like this:

$50 = 5G

$80 = 10G

Every gig on top of those packages = $10

Cha-CHING.

The two new LTE modems are $99 after a $50 rebate.

VZW's LTE price plans article

Well that's just ret..."special".  So, basically our choices are to go with Verizon and worry about insanely high charges for "excessive" use or go with one of their competitors who are known to throttle the connection semi-randomly.  Beautiful.  Why have these companies even bothered to increase speed and performance if they don't want people moving data?

0 Likes
tfch8184

I saw that 4G is rolling out this Sunday...But after reading the FAQ it still didnt answer my question atleast if it did it was in such Verizon speak that it was unintelligable.

How does 4G affect the netbooks? Is there some kind of update we will get when loading VZ Access Manager? Are the netbook modems obselete once 4G is completely out there? Just curious about that cuz I love my netbooks but sometimes the speed is lacking and I dont do any downloading or anything like that just streaming tv shows 2 days a week.

0 Likes