Sudden poor signal strength in/around Bennington, VT
jp128
Enthusiast - Level 2

While coverage has always been somewhat spotty in and around Bennington, VT...something seems to have changed in recent weeks.  Where the coverage used to be spotty, it is now non-existent.  At our home, we always had and hung on to a decent 4G signal.  Now, we can barely get a 1x signal.  I've gone through the VZ help desk and did everything possible to my phone (reboot, factory reset, etc.).  This isn't just happening to me but others in my family and other people I have spoke with as well.  VZ help said everything is fine in the area.  I have lived here for 10+ years and everything has been indeed fine until a couple weeks ago.  Something is definitely going on.  Not sure where to go from here but if it stays like this will need to investigate a switch to another carrier.  Any help or guidance appreciated.  

Re: Sudden poor signal strength in/around Bennington, VT
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As long-time and valued customers of 10+ years, your family's service concerns are our concerns too. We certainly will do everything we can to assist you with resolving the service issues you're experienicng in and around Bennington, VT.

We thank you for the detailed information you're sharing with us here and we've noted your reference about having worked with our Technical Support Team. We certainly don't want to have you repeating the same troubleshooting steps you've already completed. Typically, when troubleshooting with our technicians, they'd recommend options to help with your service concerns (e.g., use of Wi-Fi Calling, our Network Extender device while indoors, etc.) Were these options discussed with you? -Robert C.

0 Likes
jp128
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello and thanks for responding.  Yes, they did make me aware of these things.  I already use wifi calling, etc.   Thanks for asking on that.

I guess what I'm saying/asking is - something in our area has changed.  Not slowly over time but there was a change recently.  In the Bennington area.  It's as if there was an equipment/tower change of some sort, a yet to be diagnosed issue, etc.  And it is just not my phone.  It is other VZ customers I've spoken with as well.  Our phones cannot seem to hold an LTE signal for very long.  It switches to 1x.  It will not pick up the LTE signal again until you cycle the airplane mode or reboot the phone.  When you do that - voila! You have 3 or 4 LTE bars again.  For maybe 5 to 30 minutes.  Then you are back on 1x... until you cycle your airplane mode again.  

This has never, ever happened before here.  So something is different.   That's what I'm trying to communicate / find a resolution on.  Things like wifi calling, etc. are fine but that's not really addressing the root problem we seem to be having here.

Thanks again

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information jp128. We can understand your concern completely and we will keep working on this matter for you. How far away do you have to be from the area before the service begins to improve? Are you receiving the 1X signal outdoors as well or only indoors?-Candice

0 Likes
jp128
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.  This happens indoors as well as outdoors, that doesn't appear to make a difference.  As an example, if I leave my house with my phone showing 1x and drive to the middle of downtown Bennington, my phone will remain on 1x.  If I cycle the airplane mode, it will come back to a very strong LTE signal in the middle of Bennington and stay on LTE as long as I'm there.  So I don't know why the 1x is getting "stuck"?  I would think the phone should pick up that strong(er) LTE signal and switch over on its own, but it does not.

By way of another example, if I leave my house and drive toward Albany NY, the 1x will switch over to LTE automatically.  So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the phone itself, or so it doesn't seem.

Just to reiterate, this never used to happen in Bennington.  It is a new phenomenon it seems.

Thank you

0 Likes
hj0
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like this is happening all over the place. We used to have fantastic service and over the last year or so it's been getting drastically worse. To the point that most of us thought that maybe a whole tower was destroyed or something. After calling in and reporting a couple of times, still no answers though.

0 Likes