Temporarily switching 4G device number to Basic Device and Keep Unlimited
RFDiaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

My Samsung Galaxy S5 was recently lost which has unlimited data. Unfortunately it does not have insurance so I know I have to purchase a new device. I do need my phone number for work purposes in the upcoming days and I have a basic phone I can use in the meantime. So I was wondering if I could do the following:

1. Transfer my 4G Device Phone Number to another device using (Currently have a basic flip phone/non-data)
  2. When I am able to obtain a new 4G device, transfer back my old number to it while keeping my unlimited data plan

Does transferring my 4G device phone number to a non-data phone mean I lose unlimited data?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Temporarily switching 4G device number to Basic Device and Keep Unlimited
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RFDiaz,

Sorry to hear about your S5. I am sure that was quite the bummer. With the unlimited data it gets a little fuzzy. You are able to activate the basic phone on the line. However, in order to get the Unlimited data back, it would have to go through our inactive pricing team. And you would have only 14 days to get a replacement device. It is not a guarantee that it will be approved. Do you have an option to activate a smartphone on the line at all?

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's my understanding that the system code for unlimited data is different for basic phones than it is for smartphones, so I'd assume that if you downgrade to a basic phone, you'd lose your unlimited data.  If you don't have a 4G phone you could borrow, you could check swappa.com for a gently used phone (or pay full retail for a new one).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RFDiaz,

Sorry to hear about your S5. I am sure that was quite the bummer. With the unlimited data it gets a little fuzzy. You are able to activate the basic phone on the line. However, in order to get the Unlimited data back, it would have to go through our inactive pricing team. And you would have only 14 days to get a replacement device. It is not a guarantee that it will be approved. Do you have an option to activate a smartphone on the line at all?

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
RFDiaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see. I might be able to borrow another used 4G smartphone in the meantime. Will I need a new sim card for it?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RFDiaz wrote:

I see. I might be able to borrow another used 4G smartphone in the meantime. Will I need a new sim card for it?

Depends on which smartphone. You can also use an adapter for a smaller SIM card in a larger SIM card slot.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

RFDiaz wrote:

Your current SIM has the information that tells Verizon you have unlimited data. Getting a new SIM won't necessarily do that. I would try to use your current SIM if you can.

0 Likes