Thunderbolt - Cincinnati 4g - not usable
spas2k
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm currently working downtown and receiving horrible 4g performance.  When I say horrible, in a way, it's worse than 3g coverage.  I work directly smack down in the middle of down town and 4g coverage comes and goes, but never really stays very long.  What is bad about this, and what makes it worse than 3g coverage, is that when it looses 4g connection, it seems to stall for a bit before kicking on 3g.  This makes it impossible to get a steady stream of data for things like streaming anything, wifi hotspots, ect...

Even directly outside the same thing is happening.  This does not happen in my home, 30 minutes north in the burbs, I get constant and fast 4g coverage.  As borat would say, "Is nice". 

So my questions are - 

1.  Is Cincinnati going to get better coverage? 

2.  Is there a way to turn off 4g so it doesn't constantly kick on and off, making the data connection horrible at best in these situations?  

I can't really use this device while at work because the data connection is so unstable.  If this is an indication of what others will experience when coverage is spotty then this is going to be an issue for a lot of people and if you are on the fringe you are better off not getting a 4g phone in its current state.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt - Cincinnati 4g - not usable
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry that you are having coverage issues in your work area.  I have provided instructions below on how to Turn off/on 4G. 

Internet connections
Data connection
Your phone will be automatically set up to use the Verizon Wireless data network when you turn on your phone (if the SIM card is inserted) for the first time.
Checking the data connection you are using
Press HOME > � � � � � MENU, and then tap Settings.
Tap Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network operators or Access Point Names.
Turning the data connection on or off
Turning your data connection off can help save battery life and save money on data charges. However, if you don’t have data connection turned on and you’re also not connected to a Wi-Fi network, you won’t receive automatic updates to your email, social network accounts, and other synchronized information.
Tap Wireless & networks.
Select the Mobile network check box to turn on the data connection; clear the check box to turn off the data connection.

HOW TO TURN ON/OFF 4G 

1: Go to the Dial Pad and dial *#*#4636#*#*
2: Phone info 
3: Preferred network type than pick
4: CDMA only or EVDO only. (There will only be one of these options so just pick whatever one you see)

In order to switch back to 4G follow step 1-3 than select CDMA + LTE

Thank You

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry that you are having coverage issues in your work area.  I have provided instructions below on how to Turn off/on 4G. 

Internet connections
Data connection
Your phone will be automatically set up to use the Verizon Wireless data network when you turn on your phone (if the SIM card is inserted) for the first time.
Checking the data connection you are using
Tap Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network operators or Access Point Names.
Turning the data connection on or off
Turning your data connection off can help save battery life and save money on data charges. However, if you don’t have data connection turned on and you’re also not connected to a Wi-Fi network, you won’t receive automatic updates to your email, social network accounts, and other synchronized information.
Tap Wireless & networks.
Select the Mobile network check box to turn on the data connection; clear the check box to turn off the data connection.

HOW TO TURN ON/OFF 4G 

1: Go to the Dial Pad and dial *#*#4636#*#*
2: Phone info 
3: Preferred network type than pick
4: CDMA only or EVDO only. (There will only be one of these options so just pick whatever one you see)

In order to switch back to 4G follow step 1-3 than select CDMA + LTE

Thank You

0 Likes
itsbob

I'm having the same Issues with my THunderbolt using 3G.

I had the Motorola Droid and used it at work [Edited to comply with Terms of Service].  I would use it almost all day, everyday without issue.  The network was like a rock, reliable and steady.

Now I've started using my T-Bolt at work doing the same tasks and it WILL not stay connected and/or is VERY slow.  It will start to download a page, click off, I get "Page not found" than hit refresh three or four times for it to start the download again.

VERY frustrating, and NOT an improvement over my old phone.

0 Likes
Holsinnf
I have not had reliable 4g service since I bought my new Thunderbolt. My phone at least shows 4g now but cannot access any data service. Had to manually switch to 3g in order for any data. Extremely disappointed in Verizon's 4g!
0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Holsinnf  -   it would be helpful if you mentioned your location.   

0 Likes