Typical 4g speeds?
JackRounsborg

While waiting in line to get into the Nebraska-Washington game, I noticed my phone switch to 4G. Big surprise there, I thought that Lincoln wasn't supposed to get 4G until 2012..anyway I decided to give it a shot.  I wasn't too optimistic, knowing that in Memorial Stadium on a football gameday, service is pretty much a no-go on 3G or 1X, but the 4G coped very well, maybe because of the lack of 4G devices..I ran SpeedTest on my Charge and got 13254kbps download and only 479kbps upload on a 281ms ping (can someone explain what that means to me?). I'm assuming the upload speed was all of the people in the stadium...but I was astounded by the download speed.  Then I switched it to CDMA 3G and got 618kbps dl and 922 upload.  Finally at my home 2 hours west in a 3g area i got 1100kbps download and 787 upload.  Are those 4G speeds pretty consistent to what I'll get when I move to a 4G area such as Phoenix?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Typical 4g speeds?
Andreas601
Contributor - Level 1

VZW claims typical LTE speeds of 5-12 Mbps on the downlink and 2-5 Mbps on the uplink on a fully loaded network.

I have traveled across the country with my Thunderbolt and have seen speeds ranging from 8-40 Mbps on the downlink. Some markets seem to have slower average speeds, while other markets seem to be faster.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

JackRounsborg wrote:

Are those 4G speeds pretty consistent to what I'll get when I move to a 4G area such as Phoenix?

Jack,

I'd say your speeds are pretty average on the download.  Your upload speed does not seem up to 4G LTE standards tho. 

Whenever running SpeedTest.net make sure to run it a few times and take your average numbers.  Sometimes you get a spike in network activity which would throw off a single test with that tool.  If you average out your results from Speedtest you should see some higher 4G upload speeds.

0 Likes
Mandy_O

Jack,

It's going to depend on a variety of factors such as network loading conditions, which vary with time of day, day of week, etc. The more users, the less your speed. But as John mentioned, you gotta average it out to get a feel for the "average" data rates.

In addition to network loading, your signal strength is very important to the data rates that you'll be receiving. Therefore your proximity from the cell site, and any obstructions in between are going to influence your signal strength, which will in turn influence your data rates. These guys explain it in this article: HSPA vs LTE

But if it's very important for you to get high data rates, you may want to factor that in to your move to Phoenix if you have not already decided where to live, i.e. check your data speeds before signing a lease :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and work in a heavy 4G area. I get 20-27 down, 6-18 up. Smoking fast and eats data like a hungry bear. However, once I get to the fringe areas I get slowed down greatly. Enjoy, faster networks are coming.

0 Likes