UML290 dropping connection constantly in Denver
BrandonT

Just switched this service from 3G with UMW190 to 4G and UML290 and I'm constantly getting a dropped connection/device connection. One machine an XP desktop, another a Win7 laptop. Drops network connection, even device connection, wait minute and the device and network come back and reconnect. I have not locked it in one mode or another, and frankly I shouldn't have to. I was just going to post this thread to add visiblity to what is quickly becoming an apparent problem with the Verizon service. But after dropping the connection 6 #$%#@$ TIMES just trying to register for this forum it's clear I need to contact CS and get my money back until this problem is resolved.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: UML290 dropping connection constantly in Denver
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Brandon,

You may want to try a different modem if you are having the same issue on multiple machines.  It looks like it's either a problem with the service or the modem (which it seems you have already figured out), so you might as well try the modem as long as you still have a few days in your 14 day return window.

The service isn't all bad, though, and I have been very impressed with it so far here in Columbus, Ohio.  I have heard similar complaints from others in Denver, though, so maybe it is just a problem there right now.  I hope they do fix it for everyone, soon, though, because it is pretty epic when it works like it is supposed to!

0 Likes
BrandonT

Got a new modem and still the same problem. This is 3 different machines, Win7 and WinXP. Disabled power saving on the USB hubs, and changing settings on the modem with Pantech tool also did nothing.

There must be an issue with the modem itself and not just Verizon's network since most of the time the device actually disconnects from the computer. I get the windows sound for disconnecting a device, and VZAM shows the device disconnect than moments later powers back up.

Returning it tomorrow for my old 3G service and modem. And Verizon better not jack me around.

0 Likes
iwantmyusb760

This is a Nationwide Pandemic for 4Gr's in 3G markets,  I've been in 2 different 4G markets with my UML290 Pantech with zero issues and great speeds.   If management wasn't so busy tooting their own horns, they'd see they're roll-out is faultering for early adopters, while at the same time T-mobile /ATT is offering superior 4G speeds.   So here we go again, another tech giant has decided not to change what works for them and they are slowly loosing their edge because their whole belief system is built on network reliability, yet their biggest roll-out in years is faultering due to network issues.

0 Likes
ssandhaus

Adding my two cents only because I have the UML290 and live in Denver.  I've been using both the original and the newly released 64-bit version of VZAccess on my MacBook Pro and have never had drops (knock on wood) either in Denver or while traveling in major cities.  So this suggests it might be the Windows drivers/software for this modem.  Sorry to hear about your problems.

Sandy 

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

iwantmyusb760 wrote:

If management wasn't so busy tooting their own horns, they'd see they're roll-out is faultering for early adopters, while at the same time T-mobile /ATT is offering superior 4G speeds.   So here we go again, another tech giant has decided not to change what works for them and they are slowly loosing their edge because their whole belief system is built on network reliability, yet their biggest roll-out in years is faultering due to network issues.

Where are you getting your information from?!  A recent study has just shown that VZW's 4G blows everything else out of the water!  Also, early adopters always get screwed; it's just part of the deal.  We're the test subjects that help make the rollout go more smoothly for the main-streamers!  Also, I don't see the rollout as faltering.  It's certainly not going smoothly in all areas, but my local experience (as well as all my other friends on LTE around here) has been nothing short of stellar (I have had a single back-end related issue in a month, which was fixed over a weekend).

ssand, where the HELL did you find a 64-bit version of VZAM for Mac OS X?!  I've been waiting for this forever, but the vzam.net site still only lists 32-bit compatability.  A link would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: ssand, I just read more closely and it seems that vzam does now support 64bit OS X.  You, sir, have made my day!

0 Likes