Unable to connect to internet with my Pantech UML290VW in Ubuntu 11.04.1 64 bit
LinuxNoob

Hi All,

Please help. I searched high and low and still unable to connect to the internet with Pantech UML290VW in Ubuntu 11.04.1 32 or 64 bit.

This device works fine in Windows.

Currently I'm getting the following  messages:

I had to type the message as I'm unable to connect to the internet to copy/paste the log.

Hope I got the needed information.

modem-manager says:

(ttyACM0) opening serial port

(ttyUSB0) opening serial port

(ttyACM0) closing serial port

(ttyUSB0) closing serial port

NetworkManager has:

Failed to look up interface index

AptDaemon says:

Quiting due to inactivity

Shutdown was requested

qcaux converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

BACKGROUND

============

I am in a 3G area so I set my modem for 3G.

I cannot download "wvdial" because I cannot connect.

I setup a mobile broadband  connection in Network Manager with the setups below but it still doesn't connect:

Number = #777

username = 1234567890@vzw3g.com

password = vzw

I tried using this DOC but still unable to connect.

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/downloads/Sprint_Mobile_Broadband_Setup_Guide.pdf

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to connect to internet with my Pantech UML290VW in Ubuntu 11.04.1 64 bit
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

OK, on the last page of the discussion is a link that is still live.   Check it out.  Good Luck.

BTW; What's with all the Sprint stuff?   Are you playing from a different ballpark?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unable to connect to internet with my Pantech UML290VW in Ubuntu 11.04.1 64 bit
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Hello LinuxNoob;  Around last December we covered this topic extensively.  We were Ubuntu Central for a while.  The message base is still there.

Things may have changed since then, but to my recollection here was the upshot:  

1.  Verizon hasn't produced a linux version of Access Manager and probably won't.

2. Access Manager is the only program that enables the Pantech 290 to switch between 3 & 4G signals.

3.  I (and everybody else) got Ubuntu to work with the Pantech with minor tweeks -  In solid 4G AREAS

4.  If you're in a 3G area you'll have to do a firmware fix that locks the modem down to 3G only (but can void your warrenty)

Reading over your details it looks like #4 needs your attention;  The settings in Access Manager (at that time) didn't do the trick to lock out 4G.  It was more complicated than that.  You actually had to disable 4G.  Let me find that message and I'll get back to you.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

OK, on the last page of the discussion is a link that is still live.   Check it out.  Good Luck.

BTW; What's with all the Sprint stuff?   Are you playing from a different ballpark?

0 Likes
LinuxNoob

Thanks. Worked like a charm. You are a GOD :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
LinuxNoob

Have to add this little note just in case somebody else runs across this.

After I got my Pantech UML290VW to work in Ubuntu 11.04.1 64 bit, I decided what the heck go out and buy the new cradlepoint router down at th verizon store and see if I can get this to work on my other two Windows PCs(Win 7 and XP) and perhaps the new LG Network Blu-ray Disc Home Theather System I picked up this weekend that the wife says is a waste of money.

After I used your solution and verified that I could connect using Ubuntu and Linux Mint 11, I connected the cradlepoint router to my Toshiba Tecra and tried to get it to work. No luck (sigh). So I decided to go back and set the Pantech UML290VW back to "Global" which is contrary to http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3492/64/ . FYI ... I'm in a 3G area. I tested and lo and behold the Toshiba Tecra with Win7 worked fine. I then loaded up my Dell E6410 and it worked too. Next I powered up the beast (OPTIPLEZX GX620) with my Linux installs expecting to be denied again BECAUSE I CHANGED ONE OF THE SETTINGS (CDMA/HDR Only to GLOBAL) but NOOOO. It works like a charm. All three PCs - no issues. Hmmm. I think it's because of the down rev update "rev A" shown in http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3492/64/ .

I had something like EV - Rev Ae or something like that

FYI ... EVERYBODY PROBABLY HAS SEEN THESE STEPS. ONE MORE TIME FOR THE ROAD :smileyhappy:

Below are the instructions to set your Verizon modem to 4G-only or 3G-only mode:

1. Open VZAccess Manager with your card inserted, but do NOT connect to the internet.
  2. Hold Control + D on your keyboard
  3. You will be prompted to enter a password. Enter "diagvzw" (without the quotes)
  4. Select "settings" from the menu
  5. In the for "preferred operating mode" section, select "LTE Only" if you are in a 4G area or "HDR Only (EVDO)" if you are in a 3G area, as shown below. This is the only setting that should be changed! Then hit "OK".

Time to see how fast I burn up the 10gigs/mo allowance with 3 PCs online.

The WOW updates will probably cost me a fortune  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes