Unexplained Gross Data Overages
RMRoth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Folks,

I'm trying to identify and explain what certainly appear to be gross 4G LTE data overages utilizing the Verizon Wireless network, more specifically the 4G Mobile Broadband hot spot/jet pack use, but appears it can also be noticed on cell phone data measurements. I have experienced this over the past 18 months, have been charged well over $1000.00 in overages and have never been given a satisfactory answer by Verizon. I do not mind paying for something I know I use and I can identify about 20% of the overages I've been assessed, the rest seems to be unexplainable by me as well as Verizon customer/technical support.

I've seen quit a few cases listed here and even more on a broader internet blog basis. If you are or have experienced the same issue or can explain it, please respond here (removed) as I try to identify what is the technical issue or company profit machine.

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unexplained Gross Data Overages
Not applicable

My data is always correct so please enough with the conspiracy theories. Most people with complaints( not saying you specifically) are not very knowledgeable about technology( and many ADMIT to that fact ) and couldn't tell a MB from a GB. Yet somehow they can tell that the reason for their overage could not in any way be their fault and is 100% Verizon's fault. I remember seeing a year or so ago a woman ranting about how she could not have possibly gone over her 10 GB limit because she "only" watched 15 movies form Netflix that month. And that it MUST be Verizon up to no good. That woman could not be convinced that 15 movies could actually use over 50 GB.

0 Likes
swimmom13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am lol at this post because I too am sitting here flabbergasted as to  how in 2 years I have never exceeded .90 megabytes meaning I have NEVER  gone over 1 gig on a 4G Atrix 2 with AT&t ~ BUT now between 2/20/14  (Thursday) and this morning I am already at .59 megabytes with Verizon.   I have never ever had to give the term "data" a thought. I use almost  nothing on my phone because to me it is just clutter and too much to  think about. I talk/text/ck FB maybe ever few days and ck email  throughout the day.  I don't stream music, videos or anything like  that.  The most I use my phone for is for the GPS a few times a week and  it always gets shut off after usage and some general web searching.  Target Cartwheel maybe once a week.  What in the world is this about? I  called Verizon naturally, when I got my "you are 50% to your data limit"  message 4 days into a contract with them. They of course want me to be  happy and upgraded my data plan for free for 1 month until it can "get  under control" which I am not sure what that means because I have only  used GPS once, not gone to target yet and have been sitting at my  computer all weekend doing all my web searches.  I had the LG G2 for a  few days and switched to the S4 because I wanted a white phone.  So  really haven't had time to even get on the phone that much.  I have 14  days to get out of this plan and if in the next 5 days I exceed my usage  I'm gone!          

0 Likes
RMRoth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello SirGuy,

No conspiracy theory and am glad your usage reflects as should. I've been in the computer, network and systems field since the late 70s. My use of our mobile broadband plan was used strictly for email and web browsing; never for streaming movies or even short clips of video, music or other media for the most part. My local logs never came close to the billed overages. I suspect communication packet errors are included as billable data but no one at Verizon seemed to be able to answer that question; or didn't care to. The main reason I believe that may be the case is due to the wan side data usually reflected a minimum of 70% error rate and often into the hundreds of percent. Although I haven't streamed any full length movies with my new unlimited service since changing provider and modem we have been very liberal with smaller streaming media (especially youtube other links) our use has not exceeded the highest overages we were billed by Verizon (traditionally we would watch and listen to streaming media via our phones, not the broadband modem). With that said, my guess is Verizon does not have a vested interest in correcting packet error issues when it adds revenue. 

DWeeks
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since my daughter upgraded to the iPhone 5s, we have had to increase her data plan.  She was going over every month.  When I look at her data usage I see data going at all times of the day and night, even while she is asleep, and connected to wifi.  I thought it was an iPhone thing, since a lot of users are complaining about the same thing since upgrading to the 5s, but maybe it's a Verizon thing.

swimmom13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Funny you should mention that ~ because on the same day I gave in to what I call the Apple Conspiracy and after much browbeating finally caved into an Iphone for my son. A 5C.  I put us on a shared data plan of 2 GB (Thursday) with our past history of both of us on surfing on my old Att plan using my Atrix 2 as stated earlier never exceeded .9  megabytes. I assumed sharing 2 gigs should be no problem for the both of us. Certainly could be monitored and adjusted.  I don't work and he's as school not allowed to have the phone on.  Bearing in mind again we are only at most 5 days into this plan and his usage is running almost identical to mine.  We have each gobbled up .59 megabytes with Verizon since activated with 2 different types of phones.  An Apple and an Android.  I don't think we can scale down anything else on these phones outside of shutting them off and never using them.  I am going to give this 5 days and if this nonsense continues will be changing back to At&t.  I don't know how parents have the gumption or time to deal with this.   

carmonp
Enthusiast - Level 1

You make that claim because it has not happened to you.  just wait a while and we will see what song you sing when you begin to get charged for data usage that cannot be explained.

GinaDS
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ABSOLUTELY FEEL YOUR PAIN RMRoth and OTHERS dealing with EXCESSIVE "overage" data fees. WE NEVER WENT OVER The ENTIRE Time being with VERIZON until MARCH OF THIS YEAR. That is when this NIGHTMARE began. SORRY, but I've spent COUNTLESS hours on the phone with Verizon Tech to NO AVAIL AND EVEN TOLD THAT SOMEONE WAS USING OUR DATA, THEY HAD THE IP ADDRESS AND ALL BUT YET WILL NOTTT CREDIT MY ACCOUNT??? Now we've got it "Hidden" and changed the password (HOME FUSION INTERNET IS WHAT I'm REFERRING TO). DONE it ALL INCLUDING NOTHING IS "AUTOMATIC" such as UPDATES. EXAMPLE: June 16th was first day of THIS billing CYCLE.. WE WERE NOT HOME AND I TURNED THE BOX OFF (yes I am turning it OFF unless someone needs to use it, INCLUDING ITS OFF ALLLLLL NIGHT LONG YET GET TONS OF DATA USED AND THE BOX IS OFF? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THAT ONE FOR ME? ) ... ON JUNE 16th ALMOST NINE GB OF DATA WAS USED? BOX OFF AND NOONE HOME ???? CAN YA EXPLAIN THAT? I have had it with this mess. TO HAVE BEEN WITH VERIZON With a steady bill of $380 ish for 5 cells (2 with data), home phone, home fusion FOR IT TO SUDDENLY JUMP TO $1000+ starting in March--- I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE AND IF VERIZON APPRECIATES ITS CUSTOMERS, IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE YALL WOULD RESOLVE WHATEVER THIS ISSUE IS. IT IS VERY APPARENT THIS IS A VERIZON ISSUE--Likely with the FIOS change? or the SHARE EVERYTHING upgrade --CAUSE THAT's WHEN THIS STARTED FOR ME.... IF ANYONE GETS AN EXPLANATION OR CREDIT FOR DATA THAT WE HAVE NOTTTTTTT USED, PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU....... WAITING ON A VERIZON REP TO LISTEN TO ME HERE.....

0 Likes