Unlimited data grandfathered in?
aaron_greene

I currently have an unlimited data plan with Verizon Wireless for 3G service.  I guess that I was grandfathered in since I have had the account for so long and it isn't offered anymore.  Will VZW offer unlimited data to long time customers who go from 3G to 4G?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited data grandfathered in?
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

aaron_greene wrote:

I currently have an unlimited data plan with Verizon Wireless for 3G service.  I guess that I was grandfathered in since I have had the account for so long and it isn't offered anymore.  Will VZW offer unlimited data to long time customers who go from 3G to 4G?

No, probably not.  You can maintain your current 3G service and any plan you have because 3G isn't being turned off for several years at a minimum.  If you want 4G service, you'll have to sign up for one of the new 4G plans and give up your current plan.

0 Likes
JAllaire6835

My understanding of this issue is no, there is no grandfathering of unlimited from old contracts. The current contract that I have is a family shareplan that had unlimited data included in the package. I got this contract when I upgraded to my first smartphone, which Verizon said was required to have data on it, which was fine. Now one of my lines has an upgrade available again, it's contract is expired, and running month to month. I wanted to get an upgrade to the Droid, but now Verizon changed the plans, so now to get "unlimited data", in addition to the family shareplan, it's an additional $29.99 a month PER line. Needless to say, guess what happens to my monthly bill once I add $29.99 to 3 lines for the new data contract...

Me, I'm waiting til the 4g to come out before I do this upgrade, to see if it's worth the added expense of a 2 year deal.

0 Likes
Veneroso

I just spoke with a salesman from Verizon Wireless for my business account.  

I am currently in the same situation with an unlimited contract and enjoying not having to pay for overages or additional usage charges.

I was informed that unfortunately they do not allow grandfathering of unlimited contracts over to 4g.  In fact they got rid of all non-4g devices from the store minus the MiFi 2200.  

I could grandfather over to the MiFi 2200 if I paid full price for it, but I prefer a USB device as its how my network is set up.

So bottom line:  At this point if you need a new device you need the new contract.  I'd love to save $10 a month on my plan (Current plan is $50/mo vs my $60/mo) but after usage charges I'd be approaching $300/mo which is a far cry from my current $60/mo unlimited plan.  If the usage charges were $1/GB it would be another story altogether.

Its a shame too because I would be more than willing to extend my contract 2 years and get a new device as my USB720 is aging.  But unfortunately I'll have to wait to replace it when I have no other choice.

With any luck either Verizon will offer grandfathering my plan to 4g or I'll have Cable or DSL available in my area.  Living in a rural area that is "Last mile" really sucks as this is my only choice outside of sprint for broadband.

it won't be another 2 years before 4g is available in my area.  I will say this; if I'm not able to grandfather my plan, and Sprint is available and still offers unlimited 4g?  I'm switching to sprint.

0 Likes
vtruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Be careful on that because if you look into it, 4G is not technically a speed, all it is is that companies fourth generation of networking. And if you look into the other plans verizon offers its not too bad now. cause you do get the 5GB for only $50, but also they now have a 10GB $80 plan and you can switch back and forth based on your usage and the overage is capped at $190 if for any reason you were to go over.

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

I don't care what they call it, all I know is that 4G blows the doors off of the 3G in regards to speed!

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

vtruth wrote:

Be careful on that because if you look into it, 4G is not technically a speed, all it is is that companies fourth generation of networking. And if you look into the other plans verizon offers its not too bad now. cause you do get the 5GB for only $50, but also they now have a 10GB $80 plan and you can switch back and forth based on your usage and the overage is capped at $190 if for any reason you were to go over.

So is this the case even for LTE?

I have a router with my LTE and it would bring peace of mind if I knew this was the case.

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

I have a friend of mine that bought a new 4G card, coming from a 3G card. He noticed the phone# was different in the VZAM after he hooked it all up. He went and registred with Verizon with that phone # and it said the plan that # was with was UNL instead of 5Gb or 10Gb! Is that not wierd?

I am thinking it was a demo unit with his store. He went back in and they corrected it.

0 Likes
sharon2971

As a follow up to your post, are you saying that if I buy the 4G device at full price I will be able to keep my grandfathered plan?  If not, then I agree with many of the others on this board...I have been a loyal Verizon customer at about $500 month for all my services.  If Verizon keeps their pricing for 4G where it is I will be looking for alternatives.  And I will move the phone service to make a point.  I really like Verizon, but the price point is exactly why Net Neutrality is such an issue.  Come on Verizon, don't mess up your reputation (and your customer base) with this pricing.  Particularly since we have all been so loyal even though you dropped the ball on the iPhone...

SKF

0 Likes
kSo9204
Contributor - Level 2

4G LTE Devices would require different price plans than those available for 3G Broadband devices. With that being the case, you would be unable to grandfather in your current price plan. The price plan options for 4G LTE Devices are as follows:

The pricing is similar to those offered for the 3G Devices but the features for the 3G plans would not support the features needed for the 4G devices.

Monthly Access Fee           Monthly Data Allowance Per-GB Rate After Allowance
$505 GB

$10

$8010 GB                              $10
0 Likes