Upgraded Charge to EE4, now I can't place calls
jpb5013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded my Droid Charge to EE4 Friday night, then another quick update this morning, and since that time I haven't  been able to place or receive any calls. The Firmware version is 2.2.1 and the Kernel version is 2.6.32.9. Before the upgrade, I was able to place calls with the 4G network without a problem, but since then I've had the (\) on my taskbar. The strange thing is, it still shows me as connected to 4G LTE most of the time, and I'm usually able to use the data connection including the web browser and marketplace. I don't normally use WiFi, and right now it is disable. In addition, I'm able to send texts without any problem.

Right now, I'm getting 0 dBm in signal strength but out of service in my service state. Whenever I try to make a call, "Network not available" pops up. In addition, when someone calls me the phone goes straight to voicemail. The main screen will say searching for service and battery life has drained very quickly.

I can't think of anything else that I've done with the phone since this time. I tried searching around other forums and in general for similar issues following the upgrade, but I haven't found anything. Any advice for what to do next would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgraded Charge to EE4, now I can't place calls
jpb5013
Enthusiast - Level 2

Quick update on this. I tried the battery pull reset trick a few times still with no luck.

I went to the Verizon store and was helped by a nice guy named Dan. He tried various different things for probably ~40 minutes including a more complete reset with no luck. He also ran through some instructions that seemed to be on an internal Verizon knowledgebase with no success. He also replaced the Sim card, but that didn't work. After a while he went to the back for a few minutes. When he came back he said the phone doesn't know it's a phone. Strange, huh.

Ultimately, he had his manager put in an order for a new phone, which he said will be here tomorrow. I have no doubt that it will, but I'll update the thread then with the results.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help. Dan said he hadn't seen this on any other phone ever, so hopefully nobody else runs into the same issues.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Do a battery pull on a phone and reboot. That should fix it.

0 Likes
jpb5013
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. I've actually tried the hard reboot a couple times with no luck. However, a few things to add:

Each time after rebooting the phone, my phone will say that there are updates available to install. It runs through the install, however it isn't the same as the EE4 install. Regardless of updating or not, the phone will say it is up to date. It almost seems as if something corrupted during the install that it's trying to finish but can't.

I also noticed that I'm now unable to send or receive anything from my work email account (using either LTE or WiFi. My Google account still works fine.

I backed up whatever I could and restored to factory defaults hoping that would be the fix I needed, but no luck so far.

Any other advice from anyone? I may take this over to the Verizon store later today. Another thing to note is that I haven't rooted the phone or done anything otherwise against the EULA with this phone. The issue definitely seems to be related to the EE4 upgrade.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Looks like bad hardware/failed upgrade, etc. if you already reset it to factory defaults and then did a battery pull right after the shut-off (try that first).

Don't know what else to say. Get a VZW replacement if that doesn't fix it (do a factory reset, watch it closely, when it gets to the stage of booting again right after the factory reset IMMEDIATELY PULL THE BATTERY (have the battery door open beforehand).

0 Likes
jpb5013
Enthusiast - Level 2

Quick update on this. I tried the battery pull reset trick a few times still with no luck.

I went to the Verizon store and was helped by a nice guy named Dan. He tried various different things for probably ~40 minutes including a more complete reset with no luck. He also ran through some instructions that seemed to be on an internal Verizon knowledgebase with no success. He also replaced the Sim card, but that didn't work. After a while he went to the back for a few minutes. When he came back he said the phone doesn't know it's a phone. Strange, huh.

Ultimately, he had his manager put in an order for a new phone, which he said will be here tomorrow. I have no doubt that it will, but I'll update the thread then with the results.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help. Dan said he hadn't seen this on any other phone ever, so hopefully nobody else runs into the same issues.

0 Likes