Urgent, need help with Ubuntu 10.10, 4G LTE and Pantech UML 290
seldin

I have already activated my 4g account with Windows XP. I am a long time Verizon Broadband user with 3G. When using Ubuntu, all I had to do in past with 3G, was to plug in 3G modem and it worked automatically.

For 4G, I need specific instructions to work with Pantech UML 290.

I have already entered the phone number, vzwinternet, etc. However,  I need specific instructions, because while the modem is recognized, with Ubuntu it is not connecting.

Also, I may not be in a 4G area, so can you make sure, I should be able to connect with 3G.

In Windows XP, connections work fine.

Thank you,

{edited for privacy}

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Urgent, need help with Ubuntu 10.10, 4G LTE and Pantech UML 290
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Again the "vzwinternet" APN SIM is GSM technology which is 4G ONLY so therefore it WILL ONLY WORK in a 4G coverage area. To connect using 3G use the traditional CDMA HA method which is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com and password vzw using CDMA authentication and it should work. Make sure it's activated using Windows first.

0 Likes
irieblue

Under windows XP , launch the VZ Access software and use ctr+t to open a terminal window.  Type at+cgdcont?  and see if you have IPV4V6 set on the same ine as vzwinternet.

Do you have a log under Ubuntu as to how far the connection progressed? Does ppp get to the "Connect" phase but then fail to get past ipcp?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Irieblue;  You're a hero.   This happened to be my next problem & here you are!    All Ubuntu and Mac discussions are referring back to here for Willzzz99 's  instructions.    All the action is here.

As you know, thanks to you, I've got 4G & enjoying it.  Now a few details:

Ubuntu ver: 10.04 on a cheap Emachine laptop.   ( Ver:10 is reputed to have the best P&P).

After much, much research someone let on that the way to get the USB760 stick to work was to plug it in,  wait 3 minutes   for the Plug & Play to kick in,  EJECT the device(s)  -appearantly the memory drives got in the way of Ubuntu recognizing a modem- and I connected like a charm.  Now:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pantech UML 290 hasn't got any memory devices that I can tell beyond the SIM chip.

I plug in Pantech, wait, go to System/Preferences/Network Connections/Mobile Broadband/ADD

The Pantech is recognized in the initial screen describing that we'll need Provider's Name, Billing plan name, APN.

United States-    "Verizon" not a listed choice, so I entered it.  (Also tried "Generic " like someone here suggested)

APN plan:  vzwinternet     Applied.

OK, now I tried every combination of every variation I could find:   from leaving it as it  is:  Number *99#  and APN only to

Numbers:   *99#,  #777,  my account/phone number XXXXX....

User Names:    XXXXXXXXXXvzw4g.com,   XXXXXXXXvzw3g.com, & blank - "on the SIM"

Passwords:   vzw    - interrestingly when I left this blank a few trials stopped and asked for it.  PROGRESS!

APN:  with or without no difference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results:  It just spins.  Times out & says  GSM Network  disconnected

I didn't mean to hog up the whole discussion, but I figured it's better shove out too much info that can be ignored,  than too little that has asked for.

I haven't found any way to implement a connection Log.   The best I can say is it spins, and sometimes wants a password.

IPv6 ?    On the Editing Mobile Broadband page -where I plug in all the above,  We have 3 Tabs:

1. "Mobile Broadband"  - where we enter the above.

2. "PPP Settings"    - Authentication Methods all checked EAP,PAP,CHAP,MSCHAP,MSCHAPv2 

note said "try disabling some if you can't connect"   -will do  and will report back if it's any good news.      

-Compression  BSD, Deflate data, TCP header,   checked.   MPPE not checked.

-Echo PPP packets   (is this the log?)

3. IPv4 Settings;   IPv6 doesn't seem to be offered here

-Method:  "Automatic (PPP)" -default,     or    "Automatic (PPP) addresses only"

-Routes "Editing IPv4 routes for ------"  name of connection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall that IPv6 was a big deal somewhere.  Somebody talked about editing the IPv6-up & IPv6-down files in

etc/ppp/      Incidentaly the IPv6 up & down .d   folders are empty.

I could email you the current file contents if you can use that info.

I appreciate any help I can get from anybody & everybody.  I know it's too early to ask Verizon.

0 Likes
irieblue

Neander, I am not familiar with Ubuntu,   Echo PPP packets sounds like is should log the ppp connection sequence  to a log somewhere.  We really need to see the log messages up to when the connection attempt fails to understand what is going on.

What I have observed so far with the verizon 4G network  especially with explicitly setting IPV4V6 or IPV6 as part of the at+cgdcont command is that it affects how the gateway and client negotiate the connection. 

For example when I set my APN manually to

+CGDCONT: 1,"IPV4V6","vzwadmin","0.0.0.0",0,0  

The Gateway never tries to negotiate IPV6  IPCP traffic . I think this is a good thing because some clients seem to reject the IPV6 PPP configure request, and the connect attempt times out.

If your APN is set to

+CGDCONT: 1,"IPV6","vzwims","0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0",0,0

then the verizon gateway seems to  negotiate IPV6 ppp configure requests, if you client doesn't handle those IPV6 PPP IPCP request, that could be part of the issue. 

Unfortunately many WWAN devices show up as a standard Mass Storage CD ROM until you either install the software on the virtual CD Rom, or you "Eject" the Virtual CD Rom drive which forces the Modem to re-enumerate as a Communications device,

0 Likes
indianpowergeek

Here is the big problem I'm running into under Ubuntu 10.10 or NetBSD 5.1:

when I send "ATDT #777" I get "Error".  I don't know how to make the modem dial up and connect.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

I'm curious what the vzwims and vzwapp and vzwadmin APN profiles do and connect to and how the authentication is working on the back-end. I'm guessing app is just app updates and what-not with a custom IP channel. Admin is admin stuff and IMS is IP Multimedia Subsystem with the NSN equiptment if I remember right that VZW is using...

0 Likes
irieblue

I think you just need atd , not atdt. Here is my connection log for the Pantech UML 290 on a Mac using CID 9.  What you need to see is a connect message, doesn't sound like you are even talking to the device.

Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : Initializing PDP context: AT+CGDCONT=9,"IP","vzwinternet"

Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : CCLWrite : AT+CGDCONT=9,"IP","vzwinternet"\13
Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10
Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : Dialing: ATD*99***9#
Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : CCLWrite : ATD*99***9#\13
Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : Waiting for connection
Mon Dec 20 14:55:34 2010 : CCLMatched : CONNECT 

0 Likes
alexsbrown

I am another Ubuntu 10.10 user with a Pantech UML 290 -- I switched back to my old 3G modem because I could not get the 290 to connect to the 3G network at ALL. Ubuntu only recognized it as a GSM device, not as a CDMA device.

If anyone gets this working on Ubuntu, please post your solution. I will happily re-activate my UML 290 and serve as the beta tester for your new instructions! :smileyhappy:

I think the problem might be that the UML 290 can operate in either 4G or 3G mode, but they are in two totally different ways -- one is GSM-compatible, the other is CDMA. If anyone has a hint as to how to force Ubuntu to recognize it as a CDMA device, or some way to force the modem into "CDMA only" mode, maybe that would do the trick?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

There's a Ubuntu forum that's right on top of your discussions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10219504#post10219504

It's over my head but I think you two could dive in.   -and bring something back here.

I plugged everthing you got into what I think is the APN box.  It wouldn't take quotes so i changed 'em to colon's, still no luck. thanks.

Going back to look it over, they're quoting Willzzzz Mac stuff so they may not be all that far along. 

0 Likes