Re: Urgent, need help with Ubuntu 10.10, 4G LTE and Pantech UML 290
seldin

I too have tried ever combination here and the other forums  that were shown in URLs.

This modem is not working for me, no matter what I tried in Ubuntu.

My old 3g modem, you just insert into Ubuntu and it "just works".  After much headaches, I switched back to my 3g modem.

I was thinking of trying the LG modem, but I am not seeing good feedback.

Sounds, like 4g is not ready for Ubuntu users.

The whole point of Ubuntu, is that it is so easy and everything works very easy, or there are easy work arounds. Not for the Pantech and 4g.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I'm sorry to see you go Seldin.  I've seen your posts all over the internet.   I think rather than Pantech UML290 being ready for Ubuntu, it's more like Ubuntu being ready for Pantech,  Linux supposedly being super-flexible & all...

I couldn't get my USB760 to work in Ubuntu 4.0 untill I upgraded to 10.04.  Now they've got 10.10 out, but so far no good news there.    It's my understanding that all the new phone devices are operating under various installations of Linux  (adios MS!mf thank gawd),   So Verizon is going to have to address the Linux issues eventualy, if only to snag an emerging market.   Last year they wouldn't give the Mac people the time-of-day,  Now they're making an official Mac launch -someday.

The problem with the Ubuntu crowd is they're so vehemtly open-sourced, that when the solutions come out they're so...well...Geeky,  we ordinary folk can't make the fixes.   Do you remember  the directions for making the USB760 work on a sub-10.00 Ubuntu?  Not exactly for the mass market.              I've  been here before.  The best thing I can say is I'm getting Geekier for the experience.    I'm optimistic.

Current plan:  DL & Installing KPPP so I can give Irieblue some info, and looking into what the WINE project can do. Good luck. Keep in touch.

btw; Lemme tell the coolest thing about the 4G experience.   When I go to hulu.com, you know those panels at the top that take forever to load?  Well now those left & right buttons actualy mean something!  Never mind not seeing the "Buffering" icon ever again.

0 Likes
alexsbrown

Neander wrote:

There's a Ubuntu forum that's right on top of your discussions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10219504#post10219504

I am wondering if anyone can try out some of the different "dial numbers" mentioned here.

I tried "*99#" under the phone number, but one of the users reported success with: "*99***3#". It seems like the "*99***n#" number flips the modem into mode # n. I am wondering if the following numbers will somehow push the modem into GSM or CDMA mode:

• *99***1#
  • *99***2#
  • *99***3#

I am only "moderately geeky" -- I know a little bit about how to read the communication strings from the old days trying to get my dial-up modems to work. If anyone out there has an activated UML290 modem that they can experiment with under Ubuntu, please try out these numbers as the "phone number" and see if you can force a CDMA/3G connection somehow.

If no one else is able to try it, I might try re-activating my UML290 modem again. Now that I have my old Pantech modem working again, though, I am hesitant to reactivate the new one and maybe lose my wireless Internet access.

Hopefully Verizon will be patient with me if I keep re-activating devices, but I do not want to push my luck there! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Good News  -  Bad News

I'm on but it's off a USB boot drive on my desktop

Buggy.    Nothing fancy just wait till modem is recognized, default *99# , vzwinternet, no user name password vzw.  but buggy.

Tell ya more later....

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

It kicked me off when I'd left a big message: so short & sweet.

My version of Ubuntu is 2 days old, installed using Pendriveloader's Universal loader,   Like the Ubuntu directions said to do ( I had to learn that the hard way).      We could be having hardware issues because I can't get USB to boot on my laptop no matter what I did to the BIOS

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

The good news is it works on Ubuntu 10.10    How well I don't know because everybody (speedtest.net, Hulu, Youtube )  want's Flash installed and all I've got is this USB install.  I think it's 4G because the TVguide.com  loaded fast.  

I'm not seeing anything that looks like signal strength bars.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Contacting Seldin to see if he can be encouraged.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Appearently there are no personal connections available.

More Quirky Details:  If I disconnect (or am disconnected), I have to pull the Pantech and repluggin.  - What I had to do to get a 4G response in VAccess Manager before the IrieBlue fix.   Everything else looks good except the Flash thing.

OK, now to work on that full 10.10 install on my laptop. 

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Before tonight  (Merry Christmas) The only successfull linux install I'd heard about was on Fedora.   I'm sure I'm not the only one successfull on Ubuntu 10.10,                    but I seem to be the only one talking about it !

The desktop is now back in XP mode, and doesn't seem to be any worse for the experience.  I've heard some tales of modems not working in Windows after a Macintosh install, but I'm OK

My Ubunta version is only 2 days old, so a recent fix may have come in.   I finally followed directions.and got the USB install right.  That may be a factor.    If/when I get 10.10 on my old 10.04 laptop, I may be able to put the Pantech through it's paces.

I was able to disconnect & reconnect without the re-plug.                    So If it's hardware or software, I still don't know, but I'm leaning hardware...

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Update:  Coming to you live from a laptop installed with Ubuntu 10.10.     and I've got no idea how I did it.

tet

It's eratic.  The trick, and this is just superstition, is monitoring the connections buttons untill it says something besides "not enabled" for the Mobile Broadband catagory.   You're just wasting your time if it's not ready.        Also it could be the way you hold your mouth.

0 Likes