Use personal router with LTE Internet and Phone?
wyliec2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to find out if Verizon LTE Internet and Phone would be an option for me.  I have very poor DSL service (.3 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps) and no other wire/cable/fiber options available.  I have used my iPhone as a hotspot with a laptop and gotten > 20 Mbps speeds.

I have a complex home network (10 wireless and 20 wired devices) with private and guest 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks.  I have a mix of static and DHCP addresses.

Currently my DSL modem is 192.168.0.1 used in bridge mode with wireless disabled and my ASUS router is 192.168.1.1 - my home network is all on the 192.168.1.x subnet.  My personal desktop has two Ethernet adapters and on is on the DSL modem subnet so I can configure/reset it as necessary.  I also have a Windows Server 2012 working as a Media Server and PC backup (I have 5 machines in addition to the server).

I downloaded a Verizon LTE Internet and Phone manual - it shows a MiFi HOME device that looks like it would work for what I want it to do.  In various searches I have found LTE Internet and Phone referencing a Cantenna and HBA/HBR which does not seem to play well with a separate home router.  I was in a Verizon store today and the person helping me was also referring to the HBA and limitation on number of devices.

For LTE Internet and Phone I really just want the Verizon device to be a connection to the internet.  I do intend to move my landline to the Verizon device.  Again, the MiFi HOME device looks like it might work but everything I'm reading/hearing about relates to the Cantenna/HBA which is problematic.

Is there a straightforward solution to what I want to accomplish??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use personal router with LTE Internet and Phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can imagine your concern with finding the perfect solution to meet your data needs, wyliec2. I want to help point you in the right direction. We have dedicated data devices to provide you with options to stay connected. Click here for details: http://vz.to/2gFylEa . I would recommend giving one of our Sales Associates a call to see if this option would make sense for you and your family. http://vz.to/1RFYoGg .

AnthonyC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wyliec2, You have come to the right place for your data needs. This sounds like some heavy data demands with the amount of devices that you are requiring. Is this for a small business? http://www.verizon.com/home/verizonglobalhome/ghp_business.aspx Do you have any idea of how much data you use a month? How is the data reception on Verizon cell phones there?

JoelR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It can be done, but with that network load it is potentially very expensive.

0 Likes
wyliec2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply - this is entirely personal, home use.  We are averaging around 1.5 Gb/day data use - this is almost entirely reception with .15 to .2 Gb/day upload.  My wife and I do not stream (it's pretty much impossible with current service), viewing videos embedded in news pages or on You Tube is very difficult.

As I noted - I have used my Verizon cell phone as a hotspot for a laptop and gotten 20+ Mbps download speeds - this is amazing compared our DSL performance.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

50 GB per month will run you about $250. However, remember, if you are limited now and still using 1.5 GB per day, your usage may explode when you get fasting up and down data rates.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can imagine your concern with finding the perfect solution to meet your data needs, wyliec2. I want to help point you in the right direction. We have dedicated data devices to provide you with options to stay connected. Click here for details: http://vz.to/2gFylEa . I would recommend giving one of our Sales Associates a call to see if this option would make sense for you and your family. http://vz.to/1RFYoGg .

AnthonyC_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I too would be concerned about the OP hitting a 50 GB cap quite quickly with the LTE router.

To the OP, have you verified with your current DSL provider what your max usage has been over the past year's worth of billing cycles? With as many devices as you claim to have, you might be surprised just how much you actually use. I using only have 5 or 6 devices connected to my home network at a time with only one or two active. I was just looking at my monthly Internet usage from my landline internet service and saw I got up to 121 GB one month while another month was only 70 GB. Granted I do stream some shows on the weekends, and guess what those days were often my heaviest usage days.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wyliec2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been trying to get back and reply - unfortunately the DSL service has been so poor it's really hard to do anything - pages time out and require multiple refreshes to get them to successfully load...  Smiley Sad

I'm using an ASUS RT-N66U router with WRTMerlin firmware.  I'm measuring internet usage via the router statistics.  I agree with the concerns that we'd hit the 50Gb cap on a regular basis - with normal usage (when we can use the internet) the average is 1.2 - 1.5 Gb/day.

Windows updates contribute since we have multiple OS on the computers (Win 10, Win 7, Win 7 Pro, Server 2012).

I am considering a Jetpack and adding usb wireless adapters to the PCs that my wife and I use - we can surf via LTE during the times when DSL is bad and then use DSL during other times and for software updates.

This will be a [Removed] but we could probably get by with 24 Gb to 30 Gb cap and have usable internet whenever we want.  Given our data usage, 100% LTE is prohibitively expensive.

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes