VZAM Memory Use Issue in ver 7.6.3.1
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Hello users of 4G usb modems  (and admins),

After I installed my Access Manager software, I noticed my memory meter increasing quite quickly over the last 24 hours.  After checking the task manager I saw that the VZAM process was using about 1GB of memory.  I exited the application and restarted it.   At startup it used about 30 MB -  but then I saw the amount of private memory increasing steadily - I've been running for about 3 hours now and the task manager reports 380 MB in the private working set.  Wow!   This must be a bug of some sort.   I am using Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and the LG VL600 usb modem.   4G works great in my area.  Note:  This memory use is not related to my data usage which is quite low. 

Thanks,   Dave

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZAM Memory Use Issue in ver 7.6.3.1
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dave,

I am using VZAM 7.6.3.1 [2642C] and the latest firmware, via the software update tool, in the VL600.  Here's a VZAM screenshot.

http://www.fareinc.com/VL600/VZAM_1.png

I've had the VL600 since it first came out and I live about 1/2 mile from the Verizonwireless store at 2501 N Federal Hwy; Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305.

I bought the VL600 as backup to my Comcast HSI [I have Extreme 105, 105DN/10UP] because when I need to transfer information to my website [I am a Mech. Eng. who does patent case consulting] if Comcast is not working I needed an alternative ready and waiting to go in my office.  So that got me to the VL600 which is attached to my laptop in a 2nd floor office in my home (located in zip 33305).  The laptop is a Sony Z13 with 8G of Ram and I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I use the USB extension cable and put the VL600 somewhat away from my Sony and I can get VZAM to show the 4G signal strength [RSSI] at -62 db which is 3 signal bars and an excellent signal.

To test for you I started VZAM with the VL600 attached [but not yet connected to Verizon].  Task Manager says 23.4K RAM for VZAM.  Then I connected to Verizon and VZAM shows 26.6K.  Did a speedtest using speakeasy.net 12DN/6UP and VZAM shows 29.0K RAM.  Let the Sony site idle about 5 minutes with the browser open, still connected to Verizon, VZAM 31.6K. So, here's some data for VZAM RAM use as seen in Task Manager.

7 minutes     34.1K Ram

10 minutes   37.0K Ram [ran speedtest 17/12]

15 minutes   41.7K Ram [ran speedtest  16/12]

Looks like modest memory increase for VZAM.

You are getting 1G of RAM use in Task Managere for VZAM right after you start it up?  Very high compared to what I see I get.

-Jim

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Jim,

Thanks fo all the info.   I do see one difference vs your screenshot - My hardware version is 1.1 vs your 1.0. 

I decided to run VZAM overnight  on another PC, an older notebook running windows XP professional (32-bit).   Also,  very similar results are seen the XP task manager -   the VZAccess... process starts up at around 20,000 KB(aka  20 MB).  After running overnight the process the windows task manager shows 259,xxx KB (or about 260 MB) .   I notice you are reporting KB,  not thousands of KB,  - which I think should be MB - most user processes take at least several hundred K to several thousand K (several Megs).  Kernel processes are not listed in the Windows Task Manager.

Since your machine has several GB of ram, and windows  uses  a hard disk based swap file (aka virtual memory), most users may not notice any issues unless they run the Verizon software for serveral days without exiting.  Basically with Windows managed swap file (not a fixed size one), most users may not notice any difference in performance - at least for many days of operation.  

Keep reporting.    Thanks.

Dave

Note:   At software startup the process uses around 30,000 KB ,  (30 MB) similar to your report if I interpret your K as M.

0 Likes
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dave,

Jeez, the 13" Sony Z screen is so small and my eyes are so bad I mistook the comma for a decimal point in task manager . :smileysurprised:.  It's a good thing I don't move large sums of money around using the Z or I'd either be very rich, very poor, or in jail.

I just started up VZAM now and looked carefully at the process in task manager, 23,744 K. 

What do you make of my Hardware Version being 1.0 and yours being 1.1?   I purchased the VL600 on 2/4/2011, when did you get yours?

Are you in the Cambridge, MA area?  Just curious. 

What are you getting for signal strength in VZAM?

-Jim

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah,  I need computer specs to see my screen.   :smileywink:  Re: hardware version,  I got my VL600 last week.  Before that,  I had a 3G unit that used a old style PC card slot in my old notebook.  It worked fine as well although I never noticed the memory usage issue (it may have been there).   Re 4G coverage,  I am now in NYC and getting some strong signals -   -44 dBm (4G RSSI) -  and  SINR  of 19 dB (which is huge).   I do hang out in Cambridge - the 4G signal is a bit weaker there - so the max bit rate is slightly less (12 Mbps).   Between Boston and New York, of course,  it falls back to 3G or even less.   Verizon's 4G radio frequency is around 700 MHz which has better urban transmission characteristics than the higher cell frequencies around 1,900 MHz..  

--dave

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

I bet you the problem is the 64-bit OS. They probably cheaped out and compiled and optimized for 32-bit only and added 64-bit as a last minute thing to check off in development. I don't know much about Windows 64-bit but can you try running the app in 32-bit mode? 

BTW you have ran the app in a regular 32-bit machine (XP or higher) with the latest VZAccess right because it will update your SIM card settings + firmware on the device which should make it a bit faster and more stable too. 

0 Likes
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Willzzz,

Are you saying that my firmware is not the most current?

http://www.fareinc.com/VL600/VZAM_1.png

What is the most current firmware because I've updated it once already with the Sofware update tool in W7 x64 and when I called Verizon Tech support they said I was current in firmware.

-Jim

0 Likes
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I updated my VL600 I used a software update tool which may be hard to find on the Verizon site.  So, here is the link to the pdf instructions with information as to where to download the tool.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/vl600_instructions.pdf

I've rerun the tool several times after my initial upgrade and when you do this it gives the message that the firmware in the device is more current than the update and doesn't let you proceed [doesn't say "the same" says "more current"].  So, can't hurt to be sure your device is up to at least this firmware.  You could also check your VZAM againist the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread.

Now, for future updates Verizon support tells me that a pop up will occur in VZAM telling me new firmware is available for the device.  Win W7 x64 I wonder if anyone ever saw this pop up or, an even broader question, has anyone ever seen a pop up message like this at all?

-Jim

0 Likes
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dave,

That's a very impressive signal strength at -44 db.  I don't even get that next to my wireless Netgear router at home.

Looks like from your DN speed [is that in NYC?] the Verizon 4G network is more used in the NorthEast than it is here in South Florida because my DN speed [at -62 db signal strength] give me somewhat better speed.  Compared to 3G its like, well there is really no comparison is there :smileyhappy:

-Jim

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Latest results:   I tried it two other ways per suggestions -  first,  I loaded the software on a notebook running windows XP (SP3),  and second I tried running the app in "compatibility mode"  on my windows 7 (64-bit) machine.  I tried several modes (including XP SP2 and SP3).  The results were the same.  The task manager shows the VZAM process steadily increasing it's memory use.  It's gains about 100 MB per hour.   Now that I know what I looking for, it's pretty easy to notice.  After launching and connecting, open the windows task manager and click on the "processes" tab.  Find the VZAM process and watch it's memory use.  If you don't see any  "memory" column, go to View-Columns and select it.  The columns are sortable up and down so it's easy to track it.   If you notice the memory count increasing every minute, then that's it.  Most processes are pretty stable in their memory use unless they are actively allocating memory such as for web pages,  spreadsheets, databases, etc.  

I believe the issue is related to the "pretty" statistics tab which shows a running graph of data rate.  If memory is not properly managed for whatever array is used (allocated but not deallocated), then the program may have a "memory leak".   Note:  The PC shows few symptoms since this unused memory is written to the paging file (until it gets huge).

0 Likes