Re: VZAM UPdate For Pantech Just Released
mrspeakers

I run OSX and successfully used the 4G hack since early December.  However, the new VZAccess software has successfully destroyed my 4G connectivity and I can only get 3G.  :smileymad:

I'm about to uninstall and go back to what worked...

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

That just makes no sense? I know that Verizon had to of tested this. I'm not saying it's on your end! It just makes me perplexed:smileysurprised:

0 Likes
mrspeakers

So this may be useful data to people.  First, I called Verizon.  Support informed me this was a network problem affecting Mac users nationally.  However, nothing appears to be posted online, and I was not exactly confident the guy I was talking to was giving an accurate or complete story.  

I've had the card since early December and used the dialup workaround that's been discussed.  To reduce variables, I wanted to restore the system to a clean state in case the hack had messed things up (it appears it may have).  I deleted my old network control panel for the Pantech and uninstalled VZAM.  

I found this link, and tried to verify the card configuration using ZVAM in Windows before doing anything else.  VZW Fix

The card wouldn't mount properly in Windows 7, but I noted a firmware update was available.  I did the update update.  Once the firmware was installed, I verified the card was working in Windows per the above link and by establishing a 4G connection.  I then went into the Mac, quit Parallels, reinstalled VZAM (being careful to cancel the Mac network alert), and viola, I have VZAW running in 4G.

I will note that even after installing and rebooting, the first time I plugged my card in I got the Mac request to configure the card in Network Preferences.  I did a "cancel" again.  I haven't tried a reboot again but I sure hope I'm not going to get this stupid dialog ever time I insert the card.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I would not want the latest firmware if it did not work better than an older version.
0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

That's a broad brush your painting with Jim. The F/W has alot more to it than we know or think. This update allows him to use it on a Mac without doing a hack. How is that going backwards?

0 Likes
NobodysFool

What's really ironic is that I couldn't download the update without about 50 (I'm not exaggerating) boots from the connection. It took me three tries just to post this reply.

So for we schmos who just want something simple, why is this so difficult?

The jury's still out on the update - after four hours of finagling, I finally got all the data. Better be worth it.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

mrspeakers is correct. The firmware update fixes the manual DUN connection plus enables VZAccess on both Mac and Windows and finally gets rid of the disconnections and everything else.

0 Likes
Not applicable

toughbook wrote:

That's a broad brush your painting with Jim. The F/W has alot more to it than we know or think. This update allows him to use it on a Mac without doing a hack. How is that going backwards?

Don't put words in my mouth. I said nothing about going backwards. I simply said I would not want to use a firmware upgrade that didn't work better than the previous version.
0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

Jim, I am sorry. I didn't mean it in that manner. Please accept my aploogy.

I just came thru Roswell, next time I'll buy you a cup of Joe!

To the others, mine seems to be getting as each day goes by. I have driven in and out of 4G areas about 10 times just today and I have not lost connection 1 time. Flipping just perfectly! Just hope it stays that way.

0 Likes