VZAM and Lion
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Just wanted to throw this out there:

I am having a problem installing VZAM (latest version) on OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 4.  When I try to install it, it fails almost immediately saying that it needs administrator permissions to run.  Is this a known issue, new issue, or an issue with a work around?  It took Verizon/Pantech years to finally support the 64bit version of Snow Leopard, and I sincerely hope that we all won't have the same wait time for Lion to be supported...

Before the trolls/flamers/VZW apologists start on me: I realize that this is a dev preview and, therefore, technically unsupported software.  Given that this is likely the last preview before the release in around a month, though, I wanted to start early and hopefully have an updated version of VZAM ready for launch (or learn of how I can install the current version now).

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZAM and Lion
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have no idea if this will work on Lion.  It works in Snow Leopard on a few cases for me though.  This is what I would try:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

type:   sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer

it'll ask for your password, type it

An "open" window will pop up, find the mounted VZAM disk image, and select the VZAccess Manager.pkg file.

Good luck :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should have mentioned.  This will run the Installer program as "root" which has permission to do whatever it likes on your system.  This is insecure, and could screw up your computer.  But since your running a Dev preview I'm hoping these things won't concern you.  I've used this method to install a few pieces of older software over the last year or so with good success.  But if I remember correctly VZAM has a kernel extension that could just flat out not be compatible with Lion.  Anyhow, good luck!

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

bonez,

Thank you for your response!  I had been trying to use sudo to run the .dmg as well as the .pkg to no avail (I knew about sudo as I am a bit of a Linux jockey).  I tried your method to push the installer into sudo, but I still got the error message.  This reminds me of the error that we used to get before the new 2011 MBPs were supported by the VZAM (February/early March timeframe).  I hope this will be fixed soon...

By the way, here is the actual error message (both using and not using bonez' sudo method):

VZAccess Manager can’t be installed on this computer.

VZAccess Manager installation requires administrator privileges
Please log in as a member of the administrator group to install.  VZAccess Manager must be run once in an administrative  account.  It can subsequently be run in a user  account.

EDIT: I should probably also mention that every other application that I have re-installed so far (DataColor image sensor, Tuxera, etc) that require driver-level access have installed without issue.  My hardware consists of:

2011 MacBook Pro 17" (i7 @ 2.3GHz)

8GB DDR3 RAM (2x 4GB DDR3)

120GB Intel x25 SSD

0 Likes
Not applicable

While we have no date of release for a compatible version of VZAM for Lion OS, both products are quite popular. VZ Access Manager is developed by SmithMicro and they understand the importance of compatibility for Lion OS.

Go here: https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/formlink/f?NFOQU&SOURCEID=WEB_DGF_VZW_SUPPORTNAV for email alerts on new products, including VZAM.

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Adam.  I just don't want this to turn into the same issue with VZAM not working on the 2011 MacBook Pros beause they ran Snow Leopard in 64bit and VZAM didn't support that.  It took far longer than I would have liked to get that addressed, and I didn't want that to happen again!

0 Likes
jb510

I have been unable to install VZAccess Manager on Lion (OS X 10.7).  When I run the installer, like other's, I get:

VZAccess Manager can’t be installed on this computer. VZAccess Manager installation requires administrator privileges Please log in as a member of the administrator group to install. VZAccess Manager must be run once in an administrative account. It can subsequently be run in a user account.

I tried runnning the installer as root (sudo from terminal) but it gave the same error.

I was able to copy VZAccess Manager (.app) from a 10.6.8 installation to 10.7 and run it successfully under 10.7, but it doesn't recognize the modem, presumably because there are no drivers.

From what other's have said it sounds like if it was installed under 10.6.8 it could be migrated to 10.7 and work, so the issue seems to just be the installer is incompatible with 10.7. 

I suspect if I could figure out what the VZAM Installer actually installed I could manually copy those files/drivers to my 10.7 install and they'd work, but I haven't figured out yet what those files actually are...  I _HATE_ the OS X makes it so difficult to search /System/...  and hidden folders /etc /opt and such...  

It would be immensly helpful is Verizon could publish a manifest/list of files installed by VZ Access Manager...

(FYI, all of this is on a 2011 MBP i7)

0 Likes
jb510

Got confused by the multiple threads, but I solved this and posted my solution here:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/New-MacBook-Pro-and-VZAccess-Manager/m-p/601736#M3752

0 Likes