VZAM cannot detect device - I'm on my 5th device in 2 weeks! Help!
myfriendtt1

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop that works perfectly despite being older (2003), Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I purchased a Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem, Pantech UML290. When I first installed it, along with VZAccess Manager, it worked great! But on April 12th, 2011 when I opened VZAccess Manager I got the pop up that new software for VZAM was available for installation. I downloaded it and installed it, but then immediately VZ Access Manager could no longer detect the Pantech device, even though my computer detected it and all the drivers were installed. When I click "Detect Device", I immediately get the error message that a device cannot be detected, device not available.

After several hours on the phone with Verizon tech support and about 15 install/uninstalls (making sure there is no extraneous Verizon software leftover floating anywhere on my hard drive), they sent me another device. Same issue. Sent me a 3rd device. Same issue. They sent me an LG V600. Same issue. And a new SIM card. Same issue. 3 Pantechs and 2 LG's and a SIM card.

I went to the Verizon store and each time the Pantech or LG units could not be detected on the Netbook in the store, so it is not just my computer having issues.

I'm wondering if the downloaded software corrupted something in my computer so that VZ Access Mgr can no longer detect 4G devices or the current version of the software is bad. We also installed/uninstalled the VZAM CD that came with my Pantech. No luck there either.

I've tried using System Restore, but there were no restore points available by the time I tried it. I've had my computer looked at by a friend who knows computers and there are no issues he could find.

I've called Verizon Tech Support and they have a support ticket out, but the response every time is to uninstall/install several times and then send me another device to try!

My computer recognizes the device on both of my USB ports. After I reinstall the software each time, I plug in the device and then the computer says I have new hardware. It also shows up in the Device Manager and there are no exclamation marks or question marks. It is shown as "enabled" in the properties field. There are no conflicts or incompatibility issues.

It has been 2 weeks and I need internet for my business. Please help!!!

Thank you in advance for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZAM cannot detect device - I'm on my 5th device in 2 weeks! Help!
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

It looks like your computer may be corrupting the "firmware" or settings in the wireless modem or SIM. To prove this, when you get your "new", 6th device, do not plug it in to your computer - take it to the verizon place and have them plug it in there. If it works there, then you know it's not the device. It's possible (albeit unlikely), that once the SIM or device is "de-programmed" it will not work again without a factory reset and reprogramming. Normally, devices are pretty hard to damage that way.

It is possible that you have an intermittent failure in your old computer. The easiest solution may be to buy a cheap notebook for now. (Backup your personal data and transfer it to the new PC). Then send in the older Dell for full checkup. (If you love it that much). Dell may offer you a trade-in for a new PC - tell 'em your story. Don't forget to backup your personal data.

Good luck.

P. S. Another possibility is related to older USB hardware in your notebook. In this case, a new PC is the solution.

0 Likes
myfriendtt1

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, each time I got a new device, I took it to the store and had them try it out first and we had the same problem on their netbook, so it seems like Verizon is sending me bad hardware or the store has an issue with VZAM on their netbook as well.

My USB ports seem to be working fine, as I have a network adapter to get Wi-Fi (like at Starbucks) that works in it, my flash drive works in it and so does the printer.

I can't afford another computer right now and everything else on my Dell works perfectly.

It seems odd to me that it worked perfectly until the update.

Any other suggestions??

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Wow, this is certainly weird. At least you don't have to deal with the big 4G outage right now. I know it's a small solace. :smileyhappy:

Here's one cheap idea... you need a good friend for this - one who has internet service preferably via land connection - and who has never seen verizon stuff. Go to the vzam.net website and download the package what matches the hardware and OS. Then install on friend's PC. If it fails in the same way as on your Dell, then it's got to be bad hardware from Verizon. If it works on your friend's pc, then you will need to erase something on your Dell. (probably something in the registry). We'll get to that after the friend experiment. 

0 Likes
myfriendtt1

Hahaha. None of my friends want their computers anywhere NEAR this!

I took the new LG to the Verizon store. They opened the box and plugged it into their netbook and again VZAM could not detect the device. I think Verizon is 1) sending me "reconditioned" but faulty hardware or 2) the newest VZAM update is universally corrupting computers. Guess that one will be sent back now too. Smiley Sad

I spoke to a computer guy in town and he said that another woman came to him with the same problem and it turned out that the VZAM update had corrupted her BIOS. He had to wipe her entire computer, reimage it and then reload Windows. That will cost me $50 and who knows if that will fix the issue. I'd rather not go thru that hassle.

Verizon wants to send me the My-Fi device instead, but I don't have a wireless card on my computer; I use a network adapter that plugs into my USB port, so it is really inefficient to have that plus a wi-fi device being dragged around.

I'm open to the registry ideas...

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Oh, these fair weather friends. :smileyhappy: I'm a little skeptical about the Bios corruption story. I use the same device as yours and have fooled around a lot with both software and hardware. I have a Dell Latitude D420 running XP (SP3). If you check my posts, you'll see some of the problems I have found - but I have not seen your issue. I have also installed my device on a brand new windows 7 pc with no issues like yours.

Now, onto the Registry - after uninstalling all software from Smith Micro - start the registry editor (regedit.exe) and search on a registry key like this HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Smith Micro\VZAM - Verizon Wireless

you can find this key (and subkeys) by "finding" a key name with "smith" in it. Delete this key and others like

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1395545137-932754572-1724954416-1000\Software\Smith Micro.

Then reinstall the drivers and the software. Note: in the add/remove programs, look for both drivers and the vzam application software. Hopefully, this will fix things. Also, make sure your SIM is properly installed in the device and the contacts are clean.

0 Likes
myfriendtt1

Thank you. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Ok,  - be careful -   as I trust you are aware,   using the registry editor takes some care.  It is possible to, by random additions, changes and deletions, to mess things up badly enough to require a clean installation.   So,  back up your data and also consider creating  a "system state" backup using the windows backup tool or a trusted 3rd party tool.  e.g. winzip, acronis, etc.

0 Likes
myfriendtt1

Well, I finally had time to do a backup of my system, delete all Verizon/smith/LG stuff from my registry... but I tried the new device they sent me and I'm still having the same problems.

It looks like I might have to have my computer wiped clean. That totally sucks.

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry to hear that the problem is still there.    If we ignore "hardware failure"  possibiities right now,  then the remaining possibililty is something is not right in the operating system software  (windows XP).    A missing component or a misconfiguration.   

If it's purely (five) a bad modem(s) or some kind of firmware corruption - the only way to prove this is to use a "known good" computer, download the software again from vzam.net,   and install on the KG machine (preferably under windows 7).  

Something is common somewhere for all five devices.   And we can't completely discount that the modems are bad from the start, or that a virus,  or malware, is damaging them.    It would be nice if Verizon could tell you what they found with the modems you returned.   It is possible,  but unlikely, that they were all improperly prepared by Verizon.   So, some delay before getting your sixth one is OK.   

Is there anything common you are usingeach time, like a cable or hub,  in the store or at home?   It's very remote, but a marginal cable could be the cause.  USB does detect those kinds of errors. 

We still need that friend to test your modem on a "known good" system?      Can you take it to another Verizon store, not the one you have been going to.  

0 Likes