Re: Verizon MiFi4510L Device Upgrade for Windows Users
jimcreswell3

to upgrade your device use the password admin. follow the instructions. don't forget to double click the line when your temporary files comes up. this should start the wizard for your download. when it gets to the part that says finish. click on finish and a prompt comes up and says plug in device and click ok to continue. you will need a usb cable to plug into your mifi and then plug into your computer. once you do this click ok and follow the instructions. this takes a little while. the usb cable i'm talking about should have come in the box with your mifi. it is marked(use for downloads only).  my box came with this cable and another one for charging my mifi. hope this helps. it took me awhile to figure it out. once i found the usb cable in my box then everything worked.

0 Likes
jimcreswell3

when it says connect device, you need a usb cable to plug into your mifi and then into your computer. the cable should have come in your box when you purchased your mifi.

0 Likes
sacvzwflorin1

If you need to upgrade your device, first you need to reset the device from the back using a pin then run the new software.

0 Likes
slater

Wow, I just spent too much time trying to get the "temporary hotspot" to work.  Couldn't do that.  Figured that I better update the firmware and see if that helps.  Well, I spent too much time doing that as well.  Finally, I was successful in updating from 2.16.03 to 2.16.07.  Here are the important things that I think that I did:  1.  UNZIP the zipped file.  2. Attach the device via the USB to the computer 3. Execute the program and follow directions.

Now, I am hoping to be able to have another one of our computers be able to attach to the device.  This is certainly not as easy as it was with MiFi 2200!  There wasn't the "temporary hotspot" to set up.  Oh, and don't forget to "write down" the new key after you generate it.  I'll guarentee that the thing didn't work before the firmware update... well, I'll find out if it works after the firmware update. 

Please Verizon, better directions would certainly help all of our troubles!  Also, how about getting the firmware right before you sell the product?  Don't distribute a product if all advertised functions don't work straight from the box.

A bit unhappy here.

0 Likes
slater

Okay folks.  It works.  I connected another computer to the "temporary hotspot".  Now I'm in buisness - but what a waste of time!

First, if you are at firmware 2.16.03 and have tried to get it to work and failed... you must have thought - well, now how do I connect back to the internet to figure this thing out.  If you are reading this, you realized that you need to either remove the Sim card or to reset the device (using a paperclip).  You may have even had to reboot your computer.  Verizon... why don't you give us these steps too?  Put them in on the page where we are changing to the "temporary hotspot"... so we don't have to guess and spend our time wondering.

Okay, so you better upgrade to 2.16.07 if you want the hot spot to work as advertised.  I hope that this thing doesn't have to be setup a multitude of times. 

I'm also wondering... if the choices are "open", "secure", and "temporary hotspot".... is the "temporary hotspot" secure or not?

Thanks for keeping my up all night... and delaying my necessary work.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The Temporary Hotspot profile is secured.  When you select the option to create a Temporary Hotspot the MiFi will remind you that the credentials will be automatically generated for you.  Be sure to write them down before closing the MiFi admin page!  If you dont write them down then you will not be able to connect and will have to reset the device.

The only reason why you would want to select this profile would be if you wanted the MiFi to automatically generate the SSID and wireless password for you.  Otherwise you can use the Secure profile option to configure your own credentials.  For more information about the Temporary Hotspot feature see the MiFi 4510L User Guide, pages 21-30.

0 Likes
Success
K4GNI

All,

I had same problem as others.  admin did not work for a password either.

I went to this link and followed instructions for success.  No more connect now everytime, etc.  Didn't want to remove SIM either.

I don't have 4G here, only 3G and it seems to work much smoother!  Like a champ. 

When you get to the link below click on the Software Update Instructions(pdf) on the right side of the screen .  Took ten minutes.

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/mifi4510l.html

0 Likes
Fumanaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the same error message and followed you list of steps. The MiFi 4510L is not seen by the computer, therefore the upgrade process fails cause no device is detected. HELP!!!!!!

0 Likes