VZW Access Manager and UML290 for Mac 32bit only??
norfdungal

Hi,

I just bought a UML290 after hearing it would be supported on a Mac soon. The 4g manual network preferences settings do not work for me in a 3g area but that is another issue.

However now I am concerned as when I view this page: http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx it says its coming soon HOWEVER it stages

"Mac (10.6.x) 32-bit only"

I have os-x 10.6.5 on a Intel Core i7 which I beleive is 64bit (as are most macs nowadays). So.... does this basically mean I just threw $250 for this modem down the toilet? Is it really possible that Verizon is simply not supporting modern Macs? Or am I wrong here and the access manager will work for me when it comes out? 

Frustrated

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZW Access Manager and UML290 for Mac 32bit only??
Not applicable
I don't know the answer, but perhaps you could buy a 4G capable CradlePoint router. I believe they have a 4G beta firmware update for the MBR1000 and one of their portable routers. You don't use Access Manager with a router. I got my CradlePoint routers from here: http://moremobileinternet.com/
0 Likes
norfdungal

Hmm, well Ideally I don't want to have to drop another $100+ to get it to work. Also under their technotes I noticed they state they only support 4g access and don't have it working yet if you are in the 3g area with the UML290? Thats similar to the situation I am currently in with the UML290 hooked up to a Mac.

0 Likes
ssandhaus

In general, there is no problem running a 32-bit program on a Mac capable of 64-bit.  The OS will recognize it as needing to be run in 32-bit mode.  Even if it doesn't, you simply right-click on the application, click on Get Info, and in the Get Info dialog there will be a check box that says: Run in 32-bit mode.  Can't wait for the Mac program to actually appear.

Sandy

0 Likes
kSo9204
Contributor - Level 2

The UML290 is not Mac OS Compatible at this time. You may be viewing information advising that VZ Access Manager is compatible on Mac but that would be certain devices. Here is a link for you to access information in regards to compatibility for your device and system.

http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx

0 Likes
norfdungal

Kymlyn, thanks for the reply, however please read the original post. I clearly understand it is not available for this device yet, however when it IS released/supported, I am just wondering if it will run on a 64bit mac. Thanks

0 Likes
kSo9204
Contributor - Level 2

We are working for the software to be specifically compatible with 32 bit, but according to Apple their Mac OS Snow Leopard can run both 64 bit and 32 bit applications so there should not be a problem with you running our VZ Access Manager Software which will be 32 bit.

0 Likes
irieblue

norfdungal, maybe I can clear up a couple misconceptions... First regarding 32 vs 64 Bit and MacOS X AKA SnowLeopard.  Bear in mind that MacOS X is comprised of 2 components, the Kernel and UserSpace. While the Kernel will boot  into either 32 bit or 64 Bit depending on your Hardware, The Kernel always runs in the Mode the machine was booted in.  It Loads 32 or 64 bit  drivers to match the Mode the machine was booted to.

If the machine is booted in 64 Bit and the 3rd party developer only has a 32  bit driver, it's game over. Your hardware won't be recognised since a 64 bit kernel can not load 32 bit drivers.

Fortunately Apple provides Class Compliant USB Drivers that are both 32 and 64 bit capable and that load against devices that are class compliant (like the UML 290). Unfortunately the Class Compliant side of the UML290 is a Dial up Style device. The VZAM software on windows, unfortunately has a completely custom driver that drives the UML 290 as an Ethernet Style device. This is what I assume is taking verizon some time to port to the Mac. If they had only designed the device as a class compliant USB device, this would have been a non issue,  you'd plug it into your machine and it would just work with the standard OS drivers.

The UserSpace portion of MacOS X, is different, both 32 and 64 bit applications can run at the same time, the vzam software, does not need to be 64 bit, since all it does it kick off the connection, and the kernel/drivers/browser (Safari)  take it from there.. 64 Bit VZAM software on the Mac, won't really affect your network speed and is a moot point if you do not have more than 8 GB of physical Ram in your machine , if you do have more than 8 GB RAM, then 32 bit software just makes the memory management portion of the kernel work a bit harder.

I have been using the Pantech UML290 quite successfully on my Mac. I haven't tried to force it into 3G only mode, but  your connect problems may have something to do with the 4G settings you are using. I.e just Dig around the web for instructions on how to connect to an EVDO Rev A network on the Mac.  You deffinitely do not want to be using the Generic 3G Script. Can you enable Verbose PPP logging in the Advanced Panel of your network prefs for the Pantech and post the log results when it attempt to connect? I suspect you need to use a different dial string when making a 3G connection.

0 Likes