VZWs 4G IS COLOSSAL FAILURE
XCore

I am now into my 8th day of  VZW 4G. On 4/22 I upgraded a 3G MiFi to a 4G MiFi, purchased a Thunderbolt and a Xoom. The first 2 or 3 days was a beautiful thing for the most part. 10,15 even 20Mb down connections and as much as 12Mb up. Bliss! Then came "the outage" and it's been nothing but disappointment ever since.  Another oddity is the range now. If I get only 10' or more away from the MiFi it's no longer visible. 

This week I returned the Thunderbolt because I couldn't find the 4G benefit and the Xoom without reliable 4G is pointless for the purpose I purchased it.

I have kept the 4G MiFi only because I still need a MiFi whether it's 3G or 4G. However, it would seem that even that is in question now because as of this moment I stall can't connect at better than an old 2400 baud modem in either direction although I have a nice bright green 4G light.

Honestly, this seems like the kind of problems I experience in the dozens of alpha and beta programs I participate in. VZW 4G is NOT ready for prime-time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZWs 4G IS COLOSSAL FAILURE
snowpilot

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  All my problems with 4G LTE has been due to the Samsung unit I am using.  Even to this day I haven't been able to connect my iphone and macbook on the same mifi.  I'm going to return it once I get off the road. 

I've hit 8 citys after the outage, and besides a little delay logging in in oklahoma city the network has been rock solid.  I've been very impressed. 

I'm looking forward to exchanging this samsung unit.  I'm going to do it when I get home. 

So besides the hardware it has been an impressive experience. 

0 Likes
XCore

I thought I was pretty clear about what I was talking about???

However, this is what I woke up to today:

Still short of VZW promises but better than 10 times what I've seen in a week (if connected at all). Maybe thinkgs are looking up.

Fingers crossed!

0 Likes
snowpilot

This is what I woke to this am.  West Coast

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1276069959.png

This afternoon on the east coast.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1277187470.png

I tried to put the pic in like you did but it kept removing it from the post. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

nothing wrong with those numbers. 5-12Mbps down and 1-5 up is what Verizon has "promised".  Numbers in the high teens or 20's likely won't stick around as the network gets more and more saturated with LTE devices.

0 Likes
XCore

Could someone please pass the koolaid?

0 Likes
Re: VZWs 4G IS COLOSSAL FAILURE - not
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

As other responders mentioned,  your numbers are in the ballpark.   But I understand your frustration. 

Now for a few technical tidbits (i prefer vodka to koolaid :smileyhappy:  ).   Despite the marketing hype,  no providers in the USA are offerring  true 4G.  LTE is not really 4G  as defined by the ITU.  You can call it 3.x G, with x being whatever you want.    Here's the reason.  The ITU  has considered operation by the level of "mobility".  If you are walking or sitting in your office,  you should get higher speeds.  If you are driving or on a 160 kph train, your average datarates will likely drop.   

LTE and other pre-4G standards do not provide a 4G service level when you are not moving.   If you want that level today, you need a fixed broadband solution  which most businesses use.  For the biz traveller,  it's no different than in the past, just  a lot better.   Don't expect a uniform experience everywhere , all the time.   Verizon's offering is a step along the way. 

A lot of complaints are, of course, Verizon's fault.  First, they hyped their product,  we did not.   They created the expectation of ultra-fast,  uniform service everywhere, all the time.    They deserve to have irate customers bugging them.     They set themselves up for this.   But that is the way things are marketed in the USA -  and Americans fall for it.   Big b00b$  get press....  :smileyhappy:   I hope this helps a bit. 

0 Likes
scottshad

I live in Tennessee, and the only city slated for 4G is Nashville.

I saw an ad yesterday that AT&T is offering a 3G 8gig Iphone.

Why is Verizon not offering it?

And tell me what is the sense of having 4G when it is not available anywhere in the state?

I would think that Verizon would jump on the band wagon to have the 3G for areas that will not have 4G for a long time.

Trust me, I know Verizon (I do love this company but...) and they will take their swweet time to make all of the market 4G.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

scottshad wrote:

I live in Tennessee, and the only city slated for 4G is Nashville.

I saw an ad yesterday that AT&T is offering a 3G 8gig Iphone. It is an older generation phone

Why is Verizon not offering it? Because it is a GSM phone

And tell me what is the sense of having 4G when it is not available anywhere in the state? Hmmmmmmmm, people travel????  The plan does not cost anymore than a plan for a 3G phone and has unlimited data.....

I would think that Verizon would jump on the band wagon to have the 3G for areas that will not have 4G for a long time. I think VZW already has the 3G covered.

Trust me, I know Verizon (I do love this company but...) and they will take their swweet time to make all of the market 4G. The way they are rolling it out,  give it three years.

Also I see Nashville and Chattanooga are live. Bristol, Johnson City, Knoxville, Memphis, Clarksville and other areas will be live by year end. Hmmmmmmm

0 Likes
snowpilot

I'm not sure what type of koolaide you think I'm drinking.  I've hit 8 different cities after the blackout this week and have had strong signal upload and download speeds during my travels.  I've been impressed and yes, because it still is a new network. 

I'm annoyed with the hardware I'm using but I'm going to be fixing that this week at my next visit to verizon store. 

0 Likes