Verizon 4G LTE Home Internet Throttle
Michael95621
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've noticed that my home internet works great except in 2 areas no matter what settings I do;

Netflix and YouTube limited to 10 mbps speed. I can get around this with my personal VPN. 

My employer's Cisco anyconnect VPN using DTLS v1.2 is severely limited and can only do around 1-4 mbps vs. The same machine not on VPN can do 40-50. 

Has anybody been able to get any sort of answer out of Verizon. Their support team has been useless going so far as to claim their network is just not setup for VPNs despite it being a method to avoid their netflix throttle. Also they continually ask me to power cycle or factory reset the device and have no clue what a network sync is or lie and claim a network outage when none is reported. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4G LTE Home Internet Throttle
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Michael95621 and can help with any connection issues. So when using a VPN your connect is slower correct? Can you please explain what prior agents have stated.

- Alan

0 Likes
Michael95621
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your agents have had me power cycle, done a network refresh, work with my employers IT, do a backup restore, and a factory reset none of which have resolved my two problems. I also did a ticket with verizon engineering that got me nowhere. They've also claimed it's me over a data cap, I dont have one, or a broken sim, tried multiple home internet devices, this is not the issue, or bad signal area/cell site down, also not a problem as speed is fine besides the 2 problems below. 

My problems are pretty clearly stated in my original message. 

Problem #1

I have confirmed that Verizon throttles video streaming, particularly on Netflix to around 10-15 mbps download whereas regular speeds are 45-50. I used fast.com to prove this. When I hop onto my personal VPN my speeds on fast.com go back up to 30-35. As far as I know this goes against net neutrality FCC guidelines and even if it didn't Verizon should stop it on their hole internet devices as that's a huge part of home internet usage. 

Problem #2 

My employer uses Cisco Anyconnect VPN that uses DTLS V1.2 protocol for my job. Verizon is throttling this speed to 1 mbps. I've tried every setting and troubleshooting combo I can think of and it doesn't fix it. I need Verizon to stop throttling my connection over my work VPN. I confirmed with my works engineers that it's not their network as many employees with other ISPs don't have this problem. Moreover, I know people who put Verizon sims into cellular routers and do not see this problem. If I turn my work VPN off the problem goes away. 

I believe Verizon has set restrictive SIM permissions on SIMs associated with 4G home internet LTE devices or is doing some sort of throttling of activity on their network and their engineering team needs to fix it. 

Perhaps if this gets viewed enough or I threaten FCC complaints I'll actually get it fixed. 

Jasonmbarthle

I been constantly on the phone with them everyday for a month. Ticket after ticket they say nothing is wrong and close it everytime. I honestly think the representatives aren't aware of the throttle in place but they started to believe me after all the proof I had. I have ticket in place for IT and not a network ticket but I highly doubt they up the throttle from 10m or remove it. Its ridiculous to say speeds of 10m is good for a house to stream. Its someone higher up in Verizon that had put the throttle in place and not even the representatives know about it. Very bad service that they are doing that. 

0 Likes
Jasonmbarthle

Does LTE Home Internet have data caps, throttling or streaming limits?

LTE Home Internet service has no data usage caps and supports full HD Video streaming

They didn't answer the question it just states it supports full Hd which is a dead giveaway its throttled and the representatives say it isn't but that is barely with one screen and not full hd at 60frames. Should at least make it 15m and up to for it work better

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for keeping the community updated on the results of your ticket, Jasonmbarthle. I will be sure to pass along this information as I know that, when it comes to internet, speed is the name of the game. 

-George

0 Likes
Michael95621
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Jason,

So I actually got this problem resolved, feel free to tell them to look up tickets under my username or direct them to this thread. I had to demand an engineering support ticket and I had to give them my work VPN information, including the IP address so they could route it is an exception. From what I understand they basically didn't recognize my work's servers so just throttled the whole thing.

My work is now fine. Streaming is still throttled, but 10-15 MBPS for most streaming is totally fine so I don't complain about that anymore, the real issue was 1 MBPS speeds for work and they did fix it after 3-4 months.

0 Likes