Verizon 4G SIM and Sierra Wireless RV50
deanforsyth

I use the RV50 with one Verizon 4G SIM card to connect via serial port to remote instruments. I've successfully deployed 8 RV50s. I set one up today exactly the same way (using modem template) but it only connects as 2G. I tried the SIM card in another RV50 with the same result. How do I get it to connect to 4G?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4G SIM and Sierra Wireless RV50
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

deanforsyth, having a 4G connection is so important in this day and age. We want to do everything we can to help get this resolved. May we ask if you’ve tried using a different 4G SIM card in this device? It sounds like you’ve had a lot of success in the past so there may just be an issue with this particular SIM card. Also, have you had a chance to speak with the manufacturer directly for additional troubleshooting steps?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
deanforsyth

May we ask if you’ve tried using a different 4G SIM card in this device?

Yes, I activated a second SIM card while chatting with "Lish" reference number

<< content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

. It appeared to solve the problem because my RV50 connected to 4G, but just after thanking Lish for the help and closing the chat window my modem went back to 2G. It's been switching back and forth between 2G and 3G ever since.

Also, have you had a chance to speak with the manufacturer directly for additional troubleshooting steps?

No, it doesn't make sense to consult Sierra Wireless. I have the same issue when I put the SIM card in a second RV50 modem that has the same firmware and configuration. As I mentioned in my original post; 8 other modems are working as expected with the same firmware and configuration.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

deanforsyth,

Thank you for those details. The reason we ask if you've contacted Sierra is because with several of the same units working just fine, it is only this particular one that is having problems holding a 4G connection. As we do not provide support on the RV50, this is where the manufacturer would be needed to work with you on what the issue is with that device when all others are doing fine.

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
deanforsyth

Hi RussellM, thanks for taking the time to reply. Please read the previous thread again before amending your reply. I told you I used the SIM card in 2 different RV50 modems with the same result. I think that proves the hardware is not the problem. Can you pass this on to someone that can understand the described problem and possibly provide some help?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry for the confusion the previous reply caused, deanforsyth. Due to the device not being a Verizon device, we are limited on what troubleshooting can be completed. Since receiving the new sim. Have you powered the device off, removed the sim and then reinserted the sim? We would also recommend removing all connections and starting over?

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes