Verizon 4g Incoming Ports Blocked?
kalinkap

I have a Verizon 4g aircard and am trying to remote into the network on which it is hosted.  Does Verizon block incoming ports on their aircards???

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4g Incoming Ports Blocked?
Mr-Spock
Hello,
I can not say for certain they are intentionally blocking certain traffic. I used to connect to my office VPN through the 3G network all the time. I recently upgraded to the 4g device. I spent all day troubleshooting this since I'm the network administrator at my company. Even with the aid of my firewall support representative we could not connect. I can, however connect using my home Wifi network. Clearly there is something different about the 4g traffic. I'll post anything else I discover.
0 Likes
Mr-Spock
There appears to be a know bug with the Samsung SCH-LC11. Even with the VPN support option on it does not forward GRE traffic correctly. There's a reference to using different protocols like L2TP. I haven't tested that yet.
0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure about the aircards or usb dongles but I know the 4G hotspots are getting private addresses instead of public addresses. If it is the same for the aircards and dongles that could be your issue. If you know how to check your IP address and it starts with 10. or 172. or 192.168. you are getting a private

0 Likes
kalinkap

No, I'm using the external IP.  I was able to use my remote desktop while on the network but outside with port forwarding properly set up the network is not accessible.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Mr-Spock wrote:
Hello,
I can not say for certain they are intentionally blocking certain traffic. I used to connect to my office VPN through the 3G network all the time. I recently upgraded to the 4g device. I spent all day troubleshooting this since I'm the network administrator at my company. Even with the aid of my firewall support representative we could not connect. I can, however connect using my home Wifi network. Clearly there is something different about the 4g traffic. I'll post anything else I discover.

Thank you for your inquiry. Adding to what was stated, I did some research and confirmed with technical support that we do not block incoming ports nor traffic in and out of the ports. Please try to configure your connection manager to use Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) or another alternative VPN solution available within your company to adjust your setting accordingly so you can make a connection. I respect the fact that you are the Network Administrator.  However, the setting up and using the VPN is done strictly by the Administrator. This is because one VPN can differ from another VPN.

0 Likes
kalinkap

We can't configure it using the VZ Manager software as the 4g aircard is plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR900 router which handles all the connecting.  I have opened the incoming ports on the Cradlepoint but yet it does not allow me to get in.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

As an aside: I wish these Verizon monitors would stop labeling the meassages "SOLVED" when they are clearly not.   It strikes me it should be up to the origional poster to determine when his problem is solved.

0 Likes