Verizon SIM card in Wineguard Gateway WiFi router, does it replace need for Verison Jetpack?
johca
Enthusiast - Level 1
Winegard Gateway GW-1000/Air 360+ requires verison SIM card to use as  4G LTE antenna-signal booster.   I currently use Jetpack MIFI 7730.   Do I still use the Jetpack and its phone numer for access or do just use the Wineguard Gateway for data access through Verison?

I don't need another wireless phoneline, just a signal boost as I travel around quite a bit in spotty signal coverage areas.  The other boosters don't seem to need a a Verizon SIM card, just registration with Verison.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon SIM card in Wineguard Gateway WiFi router, does it replace need for Verison Jetpack?
johca
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the device link, but the device doesn't seem to meet my needs to stregthen conection reliability to cell tower when I have 1 bar of signal strenght.  The device I need will be used in a recreation vehicle.

Currenttly have Jetpack MiFi 7730L, Verizon tablet and two cell phones and am reseach solution primarily for jetpack but also the other devices.   Three options are being reseached: (1) Netgear MiMo antenna with two TS-9 connectors for jetpack, (2) Weboost RV cellphone signal booster, or 
(3) Winegard 360 with gateway (cell phone booster) which reguires a servive providor's (Verison) sim card. 

I prefer to keep using jetpack and other devices without paying for a new fifth access phone number.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Verizon SIM card in Wineguard Gateway WiFi router, does it replace need for Verison Jetpack?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there johca and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Making sure you have the access you need is essential and we are here to help review your options. To confirm, where did you purchase the Gateway Router? Does it display Verizon Wireless or Verizon Fios? If the device requires a SIM card, it would then require a new line of service. Typically the Extenders that we sell do not require a new line of service but you would need a dedicated internet connection such as Verizon Fios to work. Check out the device here http://spr.ly/6609HoQzL

0 Likes
johca
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the device link, but the device doesn't seem to meet my needs to stregthen conection reliability to cell tower when I have 1 bar of signal strenght.  The device I need will be used in a recreation vehicle.

Currenttly have Jetpack MiFi 7730L, Verizon tablet and two cell phones and am reseach solution primarily for jetpack but also the other devices.   Three options are being reseached: (1) Netgear MiMo antenna with two TS-9 connectors for jetpack, (2) Weboost RV cellphone signal booster, or 
(3) Winegard 360 with gateway (cell phone booster) which reguires a servive providor's (Verison) sim card. 

I prefer to keep using jetpack and other devices without paying for a new fifth access phone number.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Signal Boosters that do no require a SIM card would be the way to go as they will not require an additional line of service. Let us know if there is anything we can to assist with you Signal Booster research.

0 Likes
gdsatty

The Winegard Air 360+ with Winegard Gateway router is one of the most misunderstood products on the market... misunderstood by Verizon employees, that is.

This is a product designed for RV/Travel Trailer use.  The Air 360+ is a roof-mounted unit that combines a powered HDTV antenna, wifi antenna, and dual LTE antennas.  The Gateway can be either roof-mounted inside the Air 360+ or internally on the ceiling inside the RV.  The Gateway connects to the Air 360+ and will connect to either a local wifi network or a cellular LTE network, and then create its own private wifi network for the owner to access.  In that sense, it works similarly to a wifi router, but with two potential Internet access routes -- via a local wifi network or local LTE network.

The Gateway requires a SIM card and a data plan from AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile, or you can choose a Winegard data plan.  You choose.  But don't try to order the data plan or SIM card from a retail store.  You need to call customer service at AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile and give them the IMEI number for the Gateway.  Then they'll be able to send you the correct SIM card and set you up with the correct data plan.

Unlike a Jetpack, you can't walk around with the Air 360+ and Gateway.  It's installed in your RV or Travel Trailer and stays there.  But compared to the Jetpack, the Air 360+ antennas are much larger and more powerful than those in the Jetpack (although some Jetpacks are very good).  

So you choose.  Use a Jetpack which is conveniently portable, or use the Air 360+ and Gateway, which is mobile in that it moves with your RV/Travel Trailer.  Or you can pay for both.

I have an Air 360+ and Gateway, and currently have a T-Mobile SIM card in it.  Verizon doesn't have any plans competitive with the 100GB for $50 plan that T-Mobile and AT&T offer.  If Verizon joins the competition and offers a better data-only plan (my Jetpack mifi "unlimited" plan only gives me 30GB of data each month before horrific throttling kicks in), then I'll switch to a Verizon SIM.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with our community forum. We're very proud of the Jetpack devices we offer to our customers. As always, our customer's feedback is greatly appreciated. -  Robert C

0 Likes
DaveB4

Will a t mobile Sim card create a network that I can use with my verizon phone.?

0 Likes
DaveB4

Expanding my question, I have the Winegard 360 on my rv roof and the puck on the ceiling inside.  System works great for TV and radio. If I get a T- mobile or AT&T Sim card, do I also need a router? Is there a place for a sim card on the Winegard somewhere?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question, DaveB4. We can't guarantee the device will work since it's not made for VZ. You can check if it's compatible using this link: https://www.verizon.com/sales/digital/byod.html?&lineNum=1#/checkDevice. We also cannot guarantee that any device can connect to any other hotspot feature without limitations. You would need to check with the other carriers if you would like to use their SIM Card to ensure it's compatibility. *Rebecca

0 Likes