Re: Verizon iPhone isn't 4G!?
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Doobeedoo,

With current hardware, the iPhone 4 can NEVER support the 4G LTE (or even Sprint's 4G WiMax) data network.  The technology is completely different form EvDO (the current data standard used by Verizon's 3G network), and is actually more closely related to GSM (what AT&T and T-Mobile run on).  There simply is no radio for LTE in the iPhone 4, and it can therefore never support it.

The good news, though, is that Apple will almost certainly come out with another iPhone in the next few years that will support LTE.  Apple does tend to be about a year behind the times, though (one may remember that Apple didn't adopt AT&T's 3G network, HSDPA, until their second iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 3G), so I doubt it will come in the iPhone 5 (or whatever they end up calling it).  

By the way, it's not stupid to think that the iPhone 4 would work with 4G LTE.  It's a confusing naming convention for a  phone designer to use, and some might remember that, at one point, Apple did name one of their phones the iPone 3G, which was intended to let people know that it worked with AT&T's 3G network.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

doobeedoo wrote:

... some of us are not, technically, technically smart.  I, too, thought that since Verizon was rolling out a 4G and an iphone4 at about the same time they were designed to work together. 

While my PC is relatively new I'm still using a 10 year old phone.  I have looked very forward to getting an iphone for some time.  (My sister and brother-in-law recently got one -- and they claim I will love it.)

But, technically, I'm not too smart.  Thus my question:

With software upgrades or whatever, will a Verizon iphone4 ever work on a 4G network.  (I asked this question at my Verizon store and no one knew the answer.)  If the answer is no, could one expect Verizon/Apple to introduce an iphone5, 6, 7, etc., which will?

Will you ever get 4G on the iPhone 4? No. Will it work on the 4G network? Yes. At least for several years. The Verizon 4G network is being rolled out gradually throughout the US over the next couple of years. Verizon is not planned to be fully 4G until the end of 2012 or sometime in 2013. At this point, Verizon has said they will still support the 3G signal for at least a couple of years. With this info, I would assume that ANY 3G phone should be usable until at least the end of 2015.

Will Apple introduce and iPhone with 4G incorporated in it? Yes, unless they plan on discontinuing production of phones all together, which I think doubtful. When will that be? Who knows?

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

I think you meant to say, "Will it work on the 3G network?", right, rcs?

Anyway, with as long as 1xRTT on Verizon and EDGE on AT&T have been supported (they're still supported, despite 3G having been available for several years by both carriers), I sincerely doubt that EvDO or HSDPA are going anywhere within the next five to ten years.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

enyalius wrote:

I think you meant to say, "Will it work on the 3G network?", right, rcs?

Anyway, with as long as 1xRTT on Verizon and EDGE on AT&T have been supported (they're still supported, despite 3G having been available for several years by both carriers), I sincerely doubt that EvDO or HSDPA are going anywhere within the next five to ten years.

No, I meant the 4G network. Maybe I should have said "Will it work when the 4G network is fully up and running? Yes. Verizon has stated that they will support 3G for several years to come, it will work when Verizon has 4G service nationwide."

Did I say that it will be capable of 4G? No, I didn't. I said that it wouldn't be capable of 4G.

0 Likes