Verizon's Offer to allow free upgrade from 3G unit to 4G 4510L
SomersetSmile

Thought I would check out this offer, I noticed that the offer requires me to upgrade to a 4G plan.   So I checked out the 4G/3G plan differenrces.   I noticed that the 4G plan required me to cancel my national roaming, something the 4G plan does not seem to replace (is this right?).   In addition I have a discount ($4.23) that they discontinued but I get to keep until renewal or upgrade.    I am in an area that does not have 4G but thought it might be nice to have if I travel to an area with it.

From my reading it seems that the 4510L 4G seems to have problems (logging out after 30 min., not connecting while charging).

Can anyone suggest why I should consider upgrading.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon's Offer to allow free upgrade from 3G unit to 4G 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I think you covered the best reason to upgrade in your original post.  The best new feature that the 4G mifi's offer is a connection to the 4G network.  Yes, the 4G MiFi's has some issues but many of them are configurable and correctable with the solutions we have discovered.  Otherwise you will find the 3G models to be very similar compared to the 4G models.

Considering you are in a 3G only area I would suggest sticking with what you got until you can take full advantage of 4G.  4G is supposed to be everywhere by the end of 2013.   Especially since you mention special arrangements in your plan which may not transfer over to a 4G contract.  Once you move to a 4G contract  you will never be able to move backwards and reclaim "grandfatherd" benefits from the past. 

0 Likes
Deemee

I would stick to 3G for now especially if you are not in 4G. I had a Pantech USB that never gave me a moments trouble. I upgraded to the MiFi 4510L in March and have had nothing but trouble. I have just flashed it with the latest update hoping that it will solve the problems it has. However, I travel across the country and when in a 4G area, it is awesome. As for the unit turning off after 30 minutes, you can go into the MiFi settings and adjust that.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would highly advise against upgrading, especially if your current device is the MIFI2200.  I actually have had all of the 4G devices except the Samsung and recently actually downgraded back to the MIFI2200.  The 4510L is absolute crap compared to the 2200, was very dissappointed in it since I tried due to such good results with the 2200.

"Yes, the 4G MiFi's has some issues but many of them are configurable and correctable with the solutions we have discovered.  Otherwise you will find the 3G models to be very similar compared to the 4G models."

Seriously?!?  My countless hours spent on phone with Verizon tech support (who have admited there is a problem and have also admited there is no solution in sight) say otherwise.   I would love to know some of these solutions since I have fought with the 4G network since December 2010 and nothing suggested thus far has worked.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Delo,

Yes, I stand by my statement that many of the problems are configureable and correctable...I didnt say they all were.  You have to remember that many of the problems that people report about the MiFi are simple configuration issues. 

I have a document of solutions if you really want me to share all of them with you.  I've found it easier to copy and paste them then to re-type them everytime.  Chances are that you have already gone through them in one way or another and determined that the MiFi will not work for you.  If thats the case then I would do as you did and go back to a device that you are comfortable with.

0 Likes