Verizon sets up the customer to have to buy more or get charged for overage
mlsims60

Not only that, but there is an arbitration agreement that prevents any class  action lawsuits.  This issue has been occurring since I added my son's I-phone onto the package.  With 2 flip phones, we never went over let alone used much data.  However, just turning the Iphone on must use a ton of data and/or updates seem to use data as well.  I initially only used about .5GB then with an Iphone, I used .75.  2GB was fine for awhile.  Then I had to put a limit on my son's usage and cut him off.  It didn't seem to matter. We have connected (when we can) to our Xfinity wireless, but we have had issues with that as well. We increased to 4GB this month and somehow we are over by .56 and counting.

In the numerous calls I've made, has provided methods of how to save data usage.  I had to discover this one on my own.  Even when I turned off the phone at night, turned off the cellular data, used the manual application for using cellular data on apps, put a limit on my son's data package (which amazingly seemed to be ignored by Verizon this month), logged into wireless anywhere I could, we still went over.  It seems the cellular data is still used regardless.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.  I am going to file a BBB complaint.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon sets up the customer to have to buy more or get charged for overage
Not applicable

At present if data is your Issue both Sprint and T-Mobile offer unlimited data. However you need to pay full price on T-Mobile for your phones but can use the payment plan. Sprint has contracts or the unlimited everything plan for $68 but you pay for the device over time with the option to switch devices every six months to a year. Its called unlimited for life. Sprint will also take $100 each device if you port your number over from another carrier. So you can get a brand new iPhone 5s for $100 with a 24 month contract. The choice is. Yours.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Data charges are scary when it seems impossible to manage! We can convert impossible to nothing by using data usage manager apps that are available both for the google play store and the app store. They give a breakdown of what apps are using how much data. The current available OS also has useful options in Settings. Simply touch "Cellular" and you can scroll down and disable cellular data for specific things. Another very useful tool is our data calculator: http://vz.to/1bdqvUW

We want the data to be managable for our customers so they can enjoy our amazing network. We want all our customers to love us and want to stay with us! Check out the countless reasons to choose Verizon Wireless: http://vz.to/13N0B6O .

-BrianP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Mlsims60,

Data overages are no good! Let's get to the bottom of this mystery. What are you daily activities on the devices? You can use our data calculator http://vz.to/1cRXvFh, and input your activities to get an estimate of how much data you may need. Are you turning cellular data off when connected to Wi-fi on the devices? Send details

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
mlsims60

Pamela,

I had the “pleasure” of spending time with a Live Chat person named Mai the other evening- explained everything and the outcome? Well, let me increase your data package and that will take care of it. Not to mention the time I spent talking with customer service over the past few months on this issue.

As you can see from my post, I already outlined the problem and that I have turned the phone off and the cellular data feature. Let’s face it- educating the public on how they can save data isn’t going to make you more money, so why would you do it? As other carriers increase their coverage and are offering much more reasonable rates, maybe then Verizon will take a different approach.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mlsims60

I appreciate you being proactive and contacting our Love Chat to review further. However, I am concerned you are still having problems with how the data is managed and accruing. I know it’s important to get to the bottom of this and we will. The upgrade of the data plan and backdate is to prevent overage fees, which are more than the cost of the next plan up. Given the steps and limits you have, the usage will be limited going forward. Since you mentioned, you set the limits and the data still went over, I would like to review the account to see what’s going on. Please follow me and send me a Direct Message with your contact information.

Thank you.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes