Re: Very slow 4G speeds
whatsupdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem appears to be resolved for me.

0 Likes
whatsupdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I retract the last post.  It worked fine for two nights then at around 2:30 AM Eastern Time June 28, 2011 until I logged off at around 7:30 AM the service experienced huge problems.  I ran several speed tests the the results were all across the board, it's not consistent by any means with one test running an incredible 24.5 MB down and 6 MB up while the majority of tests were in the 1 MB or less down and 5 MB up range.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

better than here at least... vzw tech support (2nd time talking to them, for a follow up) said they tested the network here and it's working properly, and said they'd push a new hybrid PRL to me. I tested after the time period they gave me (3 hours) and got 130 kbit/sec down and 340 kbit/sec up, around there consistently. on 3G i get 2 mbit/sec down and 900 kbit/sec up.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

my phone got a new PRL, 13006. here are some new speed tests:

LTE http://www.speedtest.net/android/64292274.png
3G http://www.speedtest.net/android/64292410.png

hopefully I get another call from VZW again since the problem still exists. they said if the PRL didn't fix it they'd have to look into it more.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Strange my Thunderbolt has a 15011 for a PRL. No LTE in the area though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Mariol, the ANSWER IS SIMPLE.

You are close enough to a 3G cell site with FULL SPEEDS BUT AT A VERY WEAK SIGNAL STRENGTH FOR A 4G SIGNAL!

Therefore you are getting worse 4G speeds than 3G (it happens).

See how if you drove into town into a 4G area you got full speeds earlier? We already proved the point.

There's no fixing this until VZW adds 4G to your local tower which may take another few months until the fiber is done to the tower.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

no... not even close. I live 3 hours away from orlando, that is not "into town". the airport is a 11 mile drive from my house, this is where the main LTE coverage is for my city, and the download speeds are just as slow there (upload is a bit better). download speeds around the airport are 140-150 kbit/sec. so when I drive into town, i do not get 4G speeds. hope this clears any confusion.

the reason i compare orlando is so i can show my phone is working properly when i go there, and when i'm back home in the fort myers, FL area, the speeds greatly drop on 4G compared to orlando.

also our airport is covered in case there was any question about it: http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/06/pr2011-06-22d.html
 "Sarasota and Bradenton will join Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Gainesville as well as along Duval Street in Key West and in the Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers, as Florida markets that offer Verizon Wireless 4G LTE services."

Ann154: VZW tech support pushed a new PRL to my phone in an attempt to fix the slow LTE speeds, that may be why mine is different now. it used to be the same as yours before they pushed it.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's a test right next to the airport: http://speedtest.net/android/66050403.png

willzzz99: there should be an excellent signal in this area seeing as verizon advertises our airport as having 4G, so this is what you'd consider "into town".

0 Likes
whatsupdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is resolved!  Averaging 20-22 MB down and 5 MB up!  Very nice work Verizon!!! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

That looks good! what in general did you ask verizon and what did you say to them before they ended up fixing it?

I went to two verizon stores (one verizon, one wireless city) today, at the wireless city store another customer was having general data problems (the data just stops working and the 3G icon disappears) with her thunderbolt, so verizon is shipping her a new phone. I asked if I could test 4G, so I did and her phone got the same speed mine did. Between this and one of the verizon wireless employees saying "if it works outside of this area in other 4G areas, it's the network here", it doesn't seem to be my phone. All he could say is because our city's LTE coverage is small (airport only), there may be problems with it. which means it doesn't work properly anywhere, including at the airport. 

I also had the verizon employee check the ticket I submitted, and the verizon "network engineer" only checked 3G data. Maybe when the rest of our city is covered in ~3 months and everyone has 4G problems, verizon will try to fix the issue when they start losing a lot of customers. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes