Re: Very slow 4G speeds
whatsupdoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really didn't say anything to them except complain that it was taking too long for the problem to get fixed LOL...

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

hah, if only that'd work here too! instead, one of the sales people at verizon wireless gives me the exact response "it is what it is". they also said "it only works INSIDE the airport"... it doesn't work properly inside the airport, and I'm not sure how much closer I can get to "inside the airport" than that, as verizon wireless wants me to.

it's been two months now, and nothing has changed after consistent testing. I made a small album of screenshots showing the speeds I get at the airport and driving around the airport's roads; the latitude/longitude is there too so it can be verified. I had GPS on the entire time.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/mariol90/VZW/

Image 7 of 10 shows that www.speedtest.net won't even load the flash applet fully on 4G, while Image 2 shows it loading fine on 3G in the same place.

Most of the images show 3G since I took the screenshots when I got home. I pretty much realize at this point that no amount of showing/asking/telling verizon wireless that there's something wrong with their network will get anything fixed at all, even when verified with another device. hopefully this can at least get out to other people who are dissatisfied or having similar issues that I've been having constantly.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I will have to agree that 100-200 kbps download speed is not right. The upload speed seems to be consistent with others I have seen on here.

I don't remember seeing it earlier, what are you getting for download speeds in a 3G area?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

I usually get between 1 and 2.5 mbps for 3G download speeds. I don't really think it's ever dropped much below 1 mbps while I was running any actual tests.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm out today and the 3G speeds in central areas (interstate/airport) are between 100-700 kbps and it shows, web pages load slow and pictures in apps take a long time to load compared to when 3G was working properly. upload is 900-1100 kbps and pings are around 150 ms.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

mariol90 wrote:

hah, if only that'd work here too! instead, one of the sales people at verizon wireless gives me the exact response "it is what it is". they also said "it only works INSIDE the airport"... it doesn't work properly inside the airport, and I'm not sure how much closer I can get to "inside the airport" than that, as verizon wireless wants me to.

it's been two months now, and nothing has changed after consistent testing. I made a small album of screenshots showing the speeds I get at the airport and driving around the airport's roads; the latitude/longitude is there too so it can be verified. I had GPS on the entire time.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/mariol90/VZW/

Image 7 of 10 shows that www.speedtest.net won't even load the flash applet fully on 4G, while Image 2 shows it loading fine on 3G in the same place.

Most of the images show 3G since I took the screenshots when I got home. I pretty much realize at this point that no amount of showing/asking/telling verizon wireless that there's something wrong with their network will get anything fixed at all, even when verified with another device. hopefully this can at least get out to other people who are dissatisfied or having similar issues that I've been having constantly.

Hi mariol90,

I understand your desire for 4G speeds in your area. In review of your previous postings on this thread I see that you are in Fort Myers. Please keep in mind that the article you referred to on a previous post http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/06/pr2011-06-22d.html indicates that Other Florida markets scheduled to launch 4G LTE by the end of 2011 include Fort Myers, Daytona Beach, Lakeland and Winter Haven. I have reviewed our 4G Coverage Map and I confirmed that Fort Myers is noted with a star which indicates future 4G coverage (by the end of 2011). You cannot get 4G speeds in Fort Myers at the present time according to my resources.

You can also confirm the above information if you visit this Link and click on the Coming Soon tab on top of the map. I trust this information will clear any confusion surrounding 4G coverage (No coverage at this time) in the Fort Myers area.

0 Likes
Pmpdx
My 2 cents... I live in sw Portland suburbs, during the 4g roll out this month, dozens of times a day I run speed test on my thunderbolt. I monitored the progress from 5kbps and 100+ ping times then the thing kicked in hitting 10-20-30 kbps with sub 100 ping, then the pings went back over 100... Then Sunday the 23rd 4g took a crap.

4g in and out, w/200+ ping times and 5 kbps then down to 1x, while 3g works normally. Ccr's refused to acknowledge these issues.

Sprint has better price plans and will convert to lte. Vzw has me considering...
0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

The same article states "Sarasota and Bradenton will join Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Gainesville as well as along Duval Street in Key West and in the Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers, as Florida markets that offer Verizon Wireless 4G LTE services."

This article: http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/01/pr2011-01-13.html from January states "In December, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE launched in the core areas of Miami, Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Tampa Bay, Orlando and Jacksonville, as well as at the Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers."

Regardless, 4G was working perfectly from the time I purchased my phone in late March (I define "perfectly" as getting at least the rated 5-12 mbps download speeds and 2-5 mbps upload speeds), up until mid-May. Since then, I've had issues. I don't really mind if I get 3G speeds NOW when my phone connects to 4G, but I'm getting 1x download speeds (which tend to average 120-150 kbit/sec). As you may know, any phone that is 4G capable will automatically connect to a 4G network if it finds one. This means whenever I'm within a few miles of our 4G tower, my phone connects to it, and my data speeds go into the dumps.

Additionally, a VZW tech on the phone confirmed "Fort Myers DOES have 4G coverage" several months ago, regardless of how widespread it is. The fact is simply that there is coverage somewhere, my phone connects to it, and I get slower than 3G speeds.

Around the center of this image is our airport: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/mariol90/VZW/_ags_map93fb886a190d48c3851e997f4375c861.png
"*These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage." (I have noted this.)
The coverage itself for 4G has not changed since March. This is fine; the airport is the only area meant to be covered. Based off the maps it's fair to assume Verizon Wireless placed antennas on one tower, which is plenty to cover the airport area. If you would like to contradict your website's maps, that's fine by me. But you guys also have internal maps, and another VZW tech I spoke to also confirmed that 4G IS in this area. VZW salesmen at official VZW stores also confirmed that our airport has 4G. Therefore, a 4G device should be getting 4G speeds when within Verizon's rated range - at least in the airport.

Pmpdx: do you mean mbps and not kbps? When working normally 10-20-30 mbps sounds about right for LTE. and 5 mbps may be on the slow end but it's still within VZW's rated 5-12 mbps download speed. 200+ms pings do sound like a bit of a problem though. I would expect slow (5 mbps) speeds during a rollout though.
I've never seen pings below 110ms here on 4G, but verizon probably didn't see a need to add any extra backhaul since the initial 4G coverage was really small, and the original speeds I got around the airport (12-18 mbit/sec down, 2-5 mbit/sec up) were perfectly fine for 4G.
0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still not working properly. It's great when my phone switches to 4G and the internet doesn't work properly on my phone because it's so slow. I thought we didn't have 4G coverage in Fort Myers? my phone certainly says otherwise, along with verizon wireless customer service reps and the verizon wireless coverage viewer.

0 Likes
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can't edit my post but this was the end of LTE working correctly:
http://speedtest.net/android/50253619.png 26.53942,-81.79378
http://speedtest.net/android/52216466.png 26.53783,-81.79008
http://speedtest.net/android/50256691.png 26.50942,-81.77746
along with coordinates for approximate locations from each result. so it's obvious we had 4G here. I just don't understand why vzw would let something go for months, and still advertise our airport as having it.

0 Likes