Video stream throttling on LTE Home Internet plan
AWeav
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just want to call attention to the fact that Verizon is applying their standard 10Mbps video stream throttle to their LTE Home Internet plan. I had hoped that this wouldn't be the case before I signed up, and I actually specifically asked a Verizon rep via text chat on their website if there is any throttling on this plan, and they answered quite clearly that there is not.

Here are three images which tell a different story:

First, my fast.com (Netflix-hosted speedtest) result using my Verizon Home LTE plan with no VPN:

AWeav_0-1623502692908.png

Now a screenshot from the Netflix app for Windows 10 with playback statistics showing. Note the bottom line, "Throughput," closely matches the fast.com result. Just a hair under 10Mbps:

AWeav_1-1623502692909.png

(link to full-size image in case text is not readable) 

And finally, my fast.com result while connected to a VPN:

AWeav_2-1623502692909.png

38Mbps is representative of the speeds I typically get in non-video-streaming applications, so we can clearly see that a 10Mbps throttle is being applied to video streams.

I do understand the need for throttling - LTE networks can become congested and Verizon can't magically raise additional cell towers from the Earth when they're needed. However, Verizon has historically justified the 10Mbps limit by arguing that 10Mbps provides excellent quality at 1080p resolutions, and thus it does not negatively impact the user experience for their customers. But with the increasing ubiquity of 4k televisions and streaming content, this argument does not hold up in the context of a home internet connection. See Netflix's Internet connection speed recommendations, where they recommend a download speed of 25Mbps for 4k content.

And so in summary, Verizon does throttle video streams to 10Mbps on their LTE Home Internet plan. I do feel that this has a negative impact on my user experience, as I am unable to stream content at 4k resolution on my 4k displays. I would like to see Verizon raise the speed limit for video streams to 25Mbps for LTE Home Internet customers at least during times of low network congestion.

I will say that aside from this video streaming issue, I am happy with the quality of the service. The unthrottled speeds that I'm able to get have exceeded my expectations, and they certainly exceed the speeds I could get from any other provider currently available to me in my rural location.

Re: Video stream throttling on LTE Home Internet plan
techsplain

Maybe they stopped?  Ran developer tools menu on fire stick and saw 4K without vpn on netflix>prime.  Better and more consistent with vpn but curious if they lifted the 10 mbps limit?

0 Likes
Michael95621
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm same results as OP as of today. Fast is limited to 10 and is closer to my normal speed with a VPN. 

I think its specifically Netflix and youtube that get this treatment. 

0 Likes
MiNDLESS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem.  I've talked to various service reps for months when I got the service but none of them will admit it.  Finally, their top-tier service tech just blamed it on the towers and my location, saying that they'll be working on it then closed my tickets.  I've shown them the different speed with VPN as well but they'll not accept it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello MiNDLESS,

I depend on my service every day and would be concerned too if I were having any issues. What exactly happens when you try to use your home service? Do you have our 5G Home or ou LTE Home?

-Christopher

0 Likes
dbaldwin831

I don't know about Mindless, but I have major issues with certain streaming even with a VPN. And I have LTE. I connect to my AT&T hotspot and the problems disappear. A HOTSPOT!!!!! I'm already put out with Verizon doing this cr@p. When I contacted tech support for the streaming service, they asked what provider I had and immediately indicated that Verizon does indeed throttle.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information, dbaldwin831. With what streaming services are you having issues? 

~Baldo

0 Likes
Jasonmbarthle

I been constantly on the phone with them everyday for a month. Ticket after ticket they say nothing is wrong and close it everytime. I honestly think the representatives aren't aware of the throttle in place but they started to believe me after all the proof I had. I have ticket in place for IT and not a network ticket but I highly doubt they up the throttle from 10m or remove it. Its ridiculous to say speeds of 10m is good for a house to stream. Its someone higher up in Verizon that had put the throttle in place and not even the representatives know about it. Very bad service that they are doing that. 

0 Likes
Jasonmbarthle

Does LTE Home Internet have data caps, throttling or streaming limits?

LTE Home Internet service has no data usage caps and supports full HD Video streaming

They didn't answer the question it just states it supports full Hd which is a dead giveaway its throttled and the representatives say it isn't but that is barely with one screen and not full hd at 60frames. Should at least make it 15m and up to for it work better

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there, Jason. We're sorry to hear about the concerns with your service. We'd be happy to help and get you back up and running! To begin, please send us a Private Note so we can obtain more info about this tonight. *Kris

0 Likes