What Is The Next Plan For The Pantech?
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

OK, so the Pantech has been out for awhile. With it doing very well when it does work. We must give it it's due as well as it's faults.

Everyday I look at the www.vzam.net to see if they have come out with an updated FW for the Pantech. I have noticed that the site states it is not in stock. I wonder if that is true, or have they pulled it until they figure out the problems. If you read the customer reviews from the products page it is filled with owners complaining about multible dissconnects. They simply cannot look at these reviews and do nothing, or can they?

All I ask for is someone at Verizon to speak out and tell us what there plans are in working on the Pantech. Not telling us to contact customer support, etc. That is, does not work. They do not have a fix for this problem to give us. I want to know what the engineers are doing. Verizon is very close, I believe, to getting into a legal headache with the current subscribers/owners of this product for not delivering on what they promised to the customers when purchased.

Just give us some information. That is all we want.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What Is The Next Plan For The Pantech?
Not applicable
They are working on the problem. They aren't going to say more than that.
0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been told by software developers working with Pantech engineers that it's a problem with the modem itself (perhaps its firmware; maybe a hardware issue).  The upshot is that it's certainly a known issue.  

IMHO, the longer it takes Verizon to at least acknowledge the issue, the more damage it does to their reputation (and to Pantech's).  People do read these pages and the reviews that you mentioned.

0 Likes
usher

In my case, the beef that I have with them is that they (Verizon Wireless Internet Response Team) is not willing to admit that there are problems. Only that they'll open a ticket for the network engineers and that's it.

0 Likes
Not applicable
It's obvious there is a problem. Finding a solution is all that matters.
0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Maybe I am one of the lucky few (due to the network in my area or I got one of the few good ones), but my Pantech UML290 works just fine.  When I have it connected directly to my MacBook here in the Columbus, Ohio area, I have 0 connection/disconnection issues and have seen speeds as high as 31.33 Mb/s down (normal speeds at about 15 Mb/s).  I'm sure my luck is shot now that I have admitted this to the universe, but I really haven't had ANY connection related problems up to this point.

Personally, I view the issues as a sort of "bleeding edge tax".  The 4G network is brand new and the first of its kind in the United States (possibly globally), so there are bound to be problems.  Issues with transceivers, problems with modems and problems with software; it's all par for the course out here on the bleeding edge.  I understand and share with the frustrations of everyone (I'm annoyed that Verizon's VZAM software still won's support my 2011 MacBook Pro natively due to their lack of 64bit OS X support), but (in my opinion), if you aren't ready to deal with issues, don't migrate to a new, unproven technology.

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

I firmly believe that if you were to put your modem in your laptop and drove around Columbus for a day you would see the problems. If I am in one area for any extended period of time mine is stable as well. It is the switching between the tower that support 3G and 4G. At least this is where I see my problems.

0 Likes
enyalius
Contributor - Level 1

Well, it looks like the universe decided to take vengence on me, after all.  Now, even when I am stationary at work I can no longer get anything resembling reasonable speeds (5Mb/s or less) and the modem constantly says "searching for network" while it is connected.  Seems like Verizon changed something around here, and not for the better.  I hope a firmware release will hit soon and fix whatever issue has been created.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Willzzz99 emphatically expressed to me that all the problems are Pantech's & LG's.

I think that's kind of dubious because why would two different hardwares have exactly the same signal problems?

I'm a simple guy.  I see Verizon towers, presumably Verizon signal,  Verizon Access Manager,  Verizon Data Plans,  Verizon logos plastered on the modems.     It all looks like Verizon to me.

5mgs!    I'm getting < 1 mgs in this 3G area.   That pretty well kills any temptation blast through my monthly data allotment,   but I'm getting by.  It's about as fast as my old USB720 was getting.

....I was just about to say a few other nice things, but I got cut off again.

0 Likes