Why am I getting a message that says I am roaming when I place a call?
CHEISN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a new phone yesterday to replace an existing one. When I try to place a call I get a message that says "You are roaming, to call your mobile carrier or any other phone number, purchase a calling pin by pressing 1 now. To place a collect call to a mobile phone or a landline phone dial 2 now" and I can not receive calls. However, in the network settings it says I am "Not Roaming". In addition, I can send and receive texts and access Data using the phone.

Labels (1)
Re: Why am I getting a message that says I am roaming when I place a call?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHEISN, I would be just as concerned with my phone not working properly as well. You have come to the right place for help. What is the make and model of the phone you purchased? Is this for a prepay or postpaid account? 

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CHEISN
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is a brand new Galaxy S8 on a non-prepay account. The town I live in is not covered by a Verizon tower; however, I have 3 other phones on the same account in the same area that work fine. I have reviewed all the settings and they are correct. I took the SIM card out of a S7 phone that works fine and put it in the new S8 and the S8 works with the other SIM card. When I put the SIM card out of the S8 into the S7, the S7 will not work correctly. I went to the Verizon store today and they replaced the SIM card that came with the S8 and it worked fine on the Verizon tower but when I came home, it does not work again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The new SIM card should have done the trick. What happens when you swap SIM cards with the S7 now? 

NoahS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CHEISN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how important it is to get this working. Let's get this figured out. What is the zip code for where you live? Are any other users experience the same problem as you?

AlbertoR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
edwardcalame

I am also having this very same problem. My zip code is 73529.  My phone is an iPhone 7 black 32 GB  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to take a look at this roaming issue, edwardcalame. Tell us, are you having issues with making calls? Are texts and data affected? 

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
kanejn

I purchased an IPhone 11 Pro Max couple days ago and I get the same recording as CHESN.  For the amount of money I just dished out I wouldn't think trying to make a call would be so difficult.  I don't ever remember having to purchase a PIN on my old Android.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kanejn, if you are in the US roaming is fine. It just indicates you are on a cell tower belonging to one of our partners. As for the recording as "CHESN" can you tell me what that is referring to? Also, a PIN is a password and does not require a purchase. What is telling you to purchase a PIN? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes