Why am I getting a message that says I am roaming when I place a call?
Error2023
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I try to place a call I get a message that says "You are roaming, to call your mobile carrier or any other phone number, purchase a calling pin by pressing 1 now. To make a collect call to a mobile phone or a landline phone dial 2 now" and I cannot receive calls. However, in the network settings it says I am "Not Roaming". In addition, I can send and receive texts and access Data using the phone.  

This question has been asked three times in the past (2014, 2018, and 2020).  A lot of people noted they had the same problem.  I did not see an answer in any of the other threads.

I have three older Iphones (an Iphone SE, Iphone6SE, Iphone7SE), which I have had for several years.  This morning, the oldest of the three (the IphoneSE) started giving this message.  The other two phones are working just fine.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why am I getting a message that says I am roaming when I place a call?
Error2023
Enthusiast - Level 1

I stopped at the Verizon store, and the person their was able to quickly fix the problem.  He switched  roaming to "on"  under Cellular settings, and the phone started working.  He thought the problem may have been related to shutting down the 3G network, and said something about changing  a setting for 4G.  I later turned to roaming back to "off", and the phone continues to work.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning, we will be happy to assist you! Would you please send us a Direct Message so that we can better assist you?

*Lisa

0 Likes
Error2023
Enthusiast - Level 1

I stopped at the Verizon store, and the person their was able to quickly fix the problem.  He switched  roaming to "on"  under Cellular settings, and the phone started working.  He thought the problem may have been related to shutting down the 3G network, and said something about changing  a setting for 4G.  I later turned to roaming back to "off", and the phone continues to work.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so happy to hear your issue was resolved at the store Error2023. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Kinquana

0 Likes
w1pqo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same roaming message.  Also,  calls received go directly to Voice mail.  Tried turning roaming on-still have the problem.   Stopped into Verizon Store and tech checked all the settings and could not solve the problem.  Phone is Motorola E-40

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's look into your roaming concern. When did the problem begin? What is your current zip code? 

-Yani

0 Likes