Why can't I access 4G LTE?
rudernuts

I Just switched from ATT.  I have an iPhone 6S.  At the top of the screen on the phone where the service bars/dots are it sometimes says "Verizon" or "3G" I've even seen "1x". When does the 4G LTE tome into play?  Is that not the network?  Do I need something else wih the phone?  I was undwr the assumption that when you sign up you have access to this new 4G network.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New customer.  Wheres the 4G LTE I've heard about?
Snn5
Legend

From MY experience:  In an area of 1 bar LTE, 2-5MBps down and upload at 7-9MBps all the way to 5 bars in XLTE coverage areas at 75-80MBps up and down.  Varies with which tower and LTE band you are on.  Too many factors for any carrier to publish more than just a nationwide average which, in this case would be, at least for me, 2MBps-80MBps.  I find the average around 15-20MBps for my areas.  Any faster than that and my phone doesn't process that fast anyway.  After a certain speed, videos not only no long buffer, but the whole thing is already loaded, which is good I guess, unless I really didn't mean to click that video link or I get 2 min into the video and realize I don't really want to see it.  But, at those speeds, too late...data is already used.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

4G LTE isn't new, but you have to be in an area with strong enough signal to get it...which sounds like what the problem is.  You need a stronger signal.

0 Likes
Re: New customer. Wheres the 4G LTE I've heard about?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to keeping you at top speed! MAy I have your zip code to investigate the area? What is the current selection in Settings>Cellular>Enable LTE?
YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hamrad

Good morning;

What is the data rate that Verizon is claiming for their 4G LTE wireless data system at this time?

I asked this question last night at a local Verizon company owned store, and the number I was given -- which I did repeat and confirm with the person who spoke that number -- is a number that I do not believe.  That is why I am asking here in hope of receiving from a Verizon Customer Support person some information that may be more reliable.

Hamrad

Latte Land, Washington

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Hamrad wrote:

What is the data rate that Verizon is claiming for their 4G LTE wireless data system at this time?

Define "data rate."  Speed, overall speed, average speed, max speed, speed of 4G LTE vs 4G, vs 3G (1x is basically voice)???  All is dependent upon network signal strength and number of users on that tower.

0 Likes
Hamrad

Good morning;

I did not expect any kind of a response in such a short time.  Thank you.

In their advertising, Verizon has published data rates for their 4G LTE "download" speed and their "upload" speed, and usually it has been a relatively high and impressive numbers.

Last night while in the Verizon company store, I noticed that most of their advertising for the 4G LTE system with those numbers was gone.  The only thing left with any reference to 4G LTE is on the area coverage maps.  That is why I asked the person there who was ostensibly "helping" me, that question.  However, the number that was quoted to me was unbelievable.  That is why I am asking the question here.

Hamrad

Latte Land, Washington 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

From MY experience:  In an area of 1 bar LTE, 2-5MBps down and upload at 7-9MBps all the way to 5 bars in XLTE coverage areas at 75-80MBps up and down.  Varies with which tower and LTE band you are on.  Too many factors for any carrier to publish more than just a nationwide average which, in this case would be, at least for me, 2MBps-80MBps.  I find the average around 15-20MBps for my areas.  Any faster than that and my phone doesn't process that fast anyway.  After a certain speed, videos not only no long buffer, but the whole thing is already loaded, which is good I guess, unless I really didn't mean to click that video link or I get 2 min into the video and realize I don't really want to see it.  But, at those speeds, too late...data is already used.

0 Likes
Hamrad

Good morning, Snn5;

Thank you for the response, and for the data rates you have seen.  Those are in the range that others have experienced also, but not what I recall from the Verizon advertising, and certainly not what I have experienced from my location 1.25 miles and 1.35 miles from two Verizon cellular system towers.  Verizon has repeatedly told me that I am in an "excellent" 4G coverage area. I am not so sure.  The highest download data rate I have ever seen on my computer was "somewhat less" than what you have observed. 

Now I am still waiting to hear what Verizon is claiming in their advertising today. 

Hamrad

Latte Land,, Washington

0 Likes