Why has only 1 new area been lit up with 4G in 4 months?
dxrren

Why has only 1 new area been lit up with 4G in the almost 4 months since the December launch of the NFL cities?

Salt Lake City is on the list for 1st half of 2011 and haven't heard anything.  We have billboards everywhere about 4G but no clue when it's going to get lit up.   Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why has only 1 new area been lit up with 4G in 4 months?
dxrren

Really?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

dxrren wrote:

Why has only 1 new area been lit up with 4G in the almost 4 months since the December launch of the NFL cities?

Salt Lake City is on the list for 1st half of 2011 and haven't heard anything.  We have billboards everywhere about 4G but no clue when it's going to get lit up.   Any ideas?

My guess would be 1st half of 2011, just like it says. Still have 2.5 months left before that is incorrect.

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hello dxrren. Verizon Wireless now has 4G coverage in 38 major metropolitan areas and more than 60 commercial airports. We are working diligently to expand our 4G coverage across the country. Over the next month and a half,  I'm sure other areas will be upgraded to 4G coverage.  The specific schedule is not available at this time. 

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

This doesn't surprise me, the phone support people are finally now admitting that Verizon realizes they have some pretty major infrastructure issues with 4G.  I would imagine they are in no hurry to add to the customer base until this is resolved.

0 Likes
dxrren

Not suprised we are still on the original 38 almost a half a year later.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

uhm...if you looked hard enough you would find that there are other places not on that list that already have LTE eventhough Verizon hasn't officially announced it. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/18/verizon-about-to-flip-switch-on-mess-of-new-4g-lte-cities-this-...

@VerizonWireless
Verizon Wireless
#4G #LTE - we've got a mess of new cities and towns launching on Thursday. 
. . .
1 hour ago via web

0 Likes
MikeVagg

In Feb we had a 4g modem sent out to "try" 4g. (the only internet we have had for years, is Hughes, and now 3g with my Droid.

The map had us just in the 4g area south of Rochester. I was told if it did not work, just send the Modem back, I would not be charged. (that's another story).  We could not find any 4g here, called tech. They said go out and drive the area and "make a map" We did, and the online map was changed!! I was astonished!. My question, are the 4g areas being expanded, or just

new areas added? The Verizon store in Dansville, said "hold on it will be here in a week or two. That was 12 Weeks ago.

I see in the press, there is a new nationwide service starting that will cover the entire US with high speed internet. Is that the future? We did get a taste of 4g (as we made the map) It sure would be a Got send for us, after years of dial up, and then Hughes!!!

0 Likes
ben7337
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's hard to say where and when the network will expand to cover more area around a city. I only have been watching the NYC/Philly area and haven't seen it change recently, but back in Jan and Feb I noticed it did spread further west from NYC to stop just 3-5 miles from my house/town so some regions definitely are or were being expanded and they might continue to, but it really does depend, I'd say just watch the map, and if you have a local verizon store, try going in once a month or week or whatever you feel like and seeing if they get 4g there, I know my town has a store just down the road from me, so if they get 4G it is probably safe to say my house will too, but without a local store I guess just watch the map like I said. You can also call and ask when they will be expanding your area, they might have said 2 weeks and now 12 weeks later nothing has happened, but tell them they told you that and keep asking, eventually you might get some truth out of them.

Also I just realized it is possible that they updated their 4G coverage to include you, but not their maps, many areas are being turned on thursday as you may be aware, but some have been on for weeks and verizon just didn't update their maps, I suspect they will update them on thursday when they officially have those regions go live, so definitely check the maps thursday and friday, maybe the region will be officially expanded by then and already has been for a while and you just had no way of knowing.

0 Likes